Boating the Upper Chesapeake

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

Since each year there seems to be a big discussion about 4th of July in the Upper Chesapeake, do think it would be worth while to have its own thread? The veterans could post where the ramps and whatever helpful hints they can offer. I think it would make it a lot easier for the newbies like me.:p

Darn!!!! I missed being 1000 post by 1.:mad:

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

You might be able to launch from susquhana state park, but that parking lot will most likely be full.
and so will the kayak ramp in hdg.
if you have the range to do it, launch from the bush river, at otter point. I love that ramp. It never closes, and it is free.
tidewater in hdg also has a hidden boat ramp.
so does hdg marina, down the road from the kayak ramp.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I've only been boating for 4 years and I don't boat much at night. I am seeking advice on where I can take my family to watch the fireworks, Maybe Havre de Grace?
Both HdG and Northeast put on great shows right over the water. Night boating is fun but very different from day, so you have be EXTRA careful when navigating. In addition, that night there will be a LOT of 'less then sober' people operating boats late at night, which increases the danger for everyone 10X. When anchored for a show, I've always waited at LEAST 1 1/2 hours for the boats to clear- and often that's not enough. It sounds like you have no intention to spend all night at anchor, so IMO you should find a ramp close to the show you see. It WILL be crowded for a long time before and after, so plan to arrive WAY early, find a good spot, enjoy the show, then stay until 12:30 or 1AM before heading for the ramp.

I stay away from Havre de Grace normally, only because I have been told it is very shallow and easy to get yourself hung up if not familiar with the area.
'Ya know, that's a common misconception. There's plenty of deep water. The 'Flats' seem to concern a lot of people, but the shallows are clearly marked on all nautical charts. Stay within the marked channels and it's easy. Be aware however, that there are a few places that you do NOT want to pass a bouy on the wrong side!

Also - I usually put out in Joppa and they close the park at nightfall. So I will need to find a place to put in where I can trailer out late at night.
For HdG- Bowman is right- IMO Tidewater Marina is the best choice: http://marinas.com/view/marina/4511_Tidewater_Marina_Havre_de_Grace_MD
The ramp is steep but only 1 mile from the show. You have a better chance of scoring a parking spot there, too. Call in advance to make sure ramp/parking reservations aren't needed.
For Northeast- The Charlestown public ramp. Free to use but no parking. Most people pay to park across the street at the Wellwood Club: http://marinas.com/view/marina/4342_Wellwood_Yacht_Club_Charlestown_MD Again, only a short run to the show.
Another option might be Northeast River Marina. I used to be called Lee's: http://marinas.com/view/marina/4200_North_East_River_Marina_Charlestown_MD

I can make my way to the inner harbor but I would think that it will be very congested for the 4th.
Yeah, just like every other place that does fireworks!
Wherever you end up, have a good time and BE CAREFUL!!!!!

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Both HdG and Northeast put on great shows right over the water. Night boating is fun but very different from day, so you have be EXTRA careful when navigating. In addition, that night there will be a LOT of 'less then sober' people operating boats late at night, which increases the danger for everyone 10X. When anchored for a show, I've always waited at LEAST 1 1/2 hours for the boats to clear- and often that's not enough. It sounds like you have no intention to spend all night at anchor, so IMO you should find a ramp close to the show you see. It WILL be crowded for a long time before and after, so plan to arrive WAY early, find a good spot, enjoy the show, then stay until 12:30 or 1AM before heading for the ramp.

'Ya know, that's a common misconception. There's plenty of deep water. The 'Flats' seem to concern a lot of people, but the shallows are clearly marked on all nautical charts. Stay within the marked channels and it's easy. Be aware however, that there are a few places that you do NOT want to pass a bouy on the wrong side!

Yeah, just like every other place that does fireworks!
Wherever you end up, have a good time and BE CAREFUL!!!!!
+++ on everything said here. If you are going to watch the fireworks from your boat, plan on being there early and staying late, unless you enjoy dealing with incompetent large boat captains who are in a hurry and don't care about or probably even see, at that point, anything under 30'. They run at night only paying attention to their GPS'. I always wait 'til they all clear out before I move.

skargo

Banned

You could also rent a transient slip from a marina, even the one where the launch the fireworks. This is our 2nd year doing that.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

You could also rent a transient slip from a marina, even the one where the launch the fireworks. This is our 2nd year doing that.
Yeah, maybe rob could cruise you all out to us for a little bit of a visit this year in his skiff, if it all works out......'course I guess you could as easily untie and motor him out in your boat......bring us some ice while you're at it...lol

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

Been seeing a ton of people fishing out around turkey point, even in all the wind we have been experiencing....any of you guys been out there? What's biting????

skargo

Banned

Yeah, maybe rob could cruise you all out to us for a little bit of a visit this year in his skiff, if it all works out......'course I guess you could as easily untie and motor him out in your boat......bring us some ice while you're at it...lol

That could be a plan!

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Usually where ever we anchor for the fireworks that's were i'm at the next morning.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

yea, i saw a bunch of people out on the river today.
the kayak ramp had about 7 empty trailers there by 5 pm today.

my guess would be white perch, but could be rockfish.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Usually where ever we anchor for the fireworks that's were i'm at the next morning.
Shouldn't you be fixing your boat right now? lol Good to hear from you John, but seriously.... get your boat fixed....

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Shouldn't you be fixing your boat right now? lol Good to hear from you John, but seriously.... get your boat fixed....

Speaking of boats getting fixed... how is yours doing after the accident? Ready to go for the season?

arks

Lieutenant Commander

so just bottom paint will not work?

Antifouling paint alone will NOT make the hull waterproof. If the gelcoat hasn't been sealed with a barrier coat it'll absorb water over time. Here's a good article about barrier coats:
http://www.yachttantalus.us/Barrier Coat.htm

Yeah, maybe rob could cruise you all out to us for a little bit of a visit this year in his skiff, if it all works out......'

Sure- if we can find you on the crowd!

Been seeing a ton of people fishing out around turkey point, even in all the wind we have been experiencing....any of you guys been out there? What's biting????

Rockfish.
This was posted today (4/20) on another board:
"According to Capt -----, the fishing was great today on the flats. Over 100 fish were caught. Most were 5 to 8 pounds, but they had a 40 and 30 pounder mixed in the batch.

All fish were caught on BassAssassins and Tony Accetta spoons, in about 6 - 8 feet of water.

Early in the season, quite a few large fish were caught in the muddy water, using bait. Next came the really warm weather and we think because of the fast temperature rise, the fish did not stage on the flats as usual, but got right down to business in the Elk and Bohemia Rivers, where, according to some folks, there was quite a lot of spawning going on.

With the cooler nights and not so warm days, hopefully these fish will hang around for awhile.'

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's getting there... I've had the boat out 3 times already this season. How's your boat coming???

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

i don't feel the need to go rockfishing now, since I can't keep them till may.
I acutally saw a coast guard boat in the water today. All the fishing must be attracting some rare law boats. I never see police on the water.

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's been killing me, spending all of my spare time taking care of the wife's "projects" instead of getting out to toss a line.

My bro keeps rubbing it in, he has been knocking the stripers dead on the delaware river in Pa (would't eat them though).

Blue Crabber

Ensign

I never see police on the water.

Really???

I saw them on 3 different occasions last year and that does NOT include the 4th of July fireworks displays where there are all kinds of law enforcement out. (Coast Guard, Police Department, etc.)

skargo

Banned

i don't feel the need to go rockfishing now, since I can't keep them till may.
I acutally saw a coast guard boat in the water today. All the fishing must be attracting some rare law boats. I never see police on the water.

Weird, I see them every time I go out, including both times I've been out this year.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Speaking of boats getting fixed... how is yours doing after the accident? Ready to go for the season?
I don't think there is anything to fix related to the accident...as far as I can tell, nothing got damaged.
It's getting there... I've had the boat out 3 times already this season. How's your boat coming???
Haven't touched it yet.....walk by it a few times every day though......need some motivation, I guess.....and time....I did jack up the nose of it yesterday to make sure no water was in it from the rain we had..