Boating the Upper Chesapeake

skargo

Banned
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

Oooh yeah, raftup!

Last years first annual ;)
5900_246073140651_554955651_7925122_5635948_n.jpg

5900_246073260651_554955651_7925138_7249807_n.jpg

I've never anchored over there, what's the bottom like? My Fortress anchor works well, except in grass. Sand Island gives me issues. I am looking for another anchor for those conditions.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

So Brandon....how'd it go????

It went very well and it is offically ours!! Everything is transferred over. Now its time to start cleaning her up.

Hey guys- anyone interested in planning a raftup?
I'm thinking of Saturday May 22, maybe at the Flats (near the mouth of Furnace Bay).
As always, it's weather permitting....

We are totally in for another raft-up this year!! (And we will be there earlier this time!!) However, May 22nd doesn't work for us. We are flying out to Seattle WA that day for a week long Alaskan Cruise. We will be returning on Memorial Day. If you guys do it then, maybe we can catch up with you guys another time.

skargo

Banned

Congrats Brandon, now change your sig pic!

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alright, Brandon!!!!!!
Now we can officially start a Wellcraft Club.:D
Are you working on it at home?

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll probably be onboard most of Saturday. Feel free to stop by and say hello.
HdG City Dock, slip #632. White/green Silverton near the launch ramp.

So Brandon....how'd it go????

I'm thinking of Saturday May 22, maybe at the Flats (near the mouth of Furnace Bay).

I will stop by if I get the chance. Raft up sounds good to me, schedule permitting of course.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Wow, Alaska! How 'bout the weekend prior?
I'm flexible.

Congratulations on your sporty new ride Brandon!
14.gif
12.gif

I've never anchored over there, what's the bottom like? My Fortress anchor works well, except in grass. Sand Island gives me issues. I am looking for another anchor for those conditions.

Mud bottom deep (where the bow anchor sets) but 100% sand where it gets shallow on the flats. What size is your Fortress? With my 23 footer I used an FX16 and rarely had a problem. That very anchor is my current lunch hook. I'd suggest some chain leader to get it thru the weeds. Otherwise, I recommend a Delta FastSet plow. Mine has never failed to set.
Something I learned about Fortress anchors: due to their light weight they can 'sail' when setting in a current (or if the boat is moving), often causing it to land flat. When that happens, it can drag for awhile on sand before the tines dig in. The solution is to try to put it straight down to the bottom, then back away while letting out line.

skargo

Banned

Thanks for the tips Rob. I anchored deep in the Susky for the ragin on the river races, it sailed on me a few times there before I got it to set. :redface:
We have the FX-11, one size down from yours. The only place so far I couldn't get it set was 2 times at SI.
I have a nylon covered chain leader, but it's only 5', I should probably at least double that.
I am going to look into a Delta style for an alternate hook. Or main, who knows. I have a backup Danforth style, but that's pretty much the same thing as my Fortress as far as bottom grabbing, I would guess.

Hell with it, I'll just raft up to Winter Dream :p

We are flexible here on the date too.
Since Brandon threw the first monkey wrench into the works, he should have to wear a Hawaiian shirt to the raft up. :D

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Congrats Brandon, now change your sig pic!

I am working on it! :D Now I finally get to post in the Wellcraft part of the forum!!!

Alright, Brandon!!!!!!
Now we can officially start a Wellcraft Club.:D
Are you working on it at home?

You bet! World Class Boats!!

Wow, Alaska! How 'bout the weekend prior?
I'm flexible.

Congratulations on your sporty new ride Brandon!

Thanks!

Alaska ~ The only state I have not been to yet. I am really looking forward to it. Just my wife and I for the week on a boat! Yeah, a really big boat, but still a boat!

The weekend prior would work for us for a raft up. How about everybody else? I don't want to make others miss it? Will the water be warm enough for those that may be bringing youngsters along?

And Scott, i will have to look through the closet and see what I can find from when we were in Hawaii a couple of years ago. :p

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

I have a redneck anchor, It is a rotating 2 fignered fork, attached in the center to a bar type of contraption. And I have about 10 ft of chain attached to the end of that. The chain is very heavy grade. One link is about 4 inches long, and 2 inches wide.

I usually only need 2 times scope or less, A few times I was in a very fast current, and It held fine in 20 ft of water. that was actually over near the barge they anchor near the back channel to NE.

So IMO the more heavy chain the better.

The 22nd works for me, but the 15th wouldn't... But if its better for everyone else to have it the 15th, thats cool... Either way, I look forward to meeting everyone...

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Has anyone ever tried one of these box anchors before? Sounds like they have some nice advantages. Although, the old tried and true method of a good heavy anchor with the right chain and rope combination and the proper length of rode is hard to beat. Maybe it would be good if you were only going to anchor for a short time.

I am just curious how they actually work.

http://www.slideanchor.com/Hlm_ShopIT_ProductDetails.aspx?ID=024a8189-c4ba-41dc-9a41-c5e749bb8688

skargo

Banned

That is where he is John. He is on pier 6, right next to the ramp.

I might stop by sometime myself tomorrow.

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is where he is John. He is on pier 6, right next to the ramp.

I might stop by sometime myself tomorrow.

I work til 12 and heading home to get cleaned up and head down. Don't what I am going to do first, look at cottage or stop at marina. Then at sometime going to meet up with daughter and go out for supper. Either going to eat in that neck of the woods or run to Newark to meet her.
I love it when a plan comes together.:p

skargo

Banned

Happy Birthday John, how does it feel to be 70?

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, now who can tell me where to get good prime rib without costing an arm and a leg. Not fine dining more like pub.
I figured these 50 yo arteries are already clogged so I may as well make it worth my while.

skargo

Banned

Ok, now who can tell me where to get good prime rib without costing an arm and a leg. Not fine dining more like pub.
I figured these 50 yo arteries are already clogged so I may as well make it worth my while.

Kens Steak & Rib House
400 N Union Ave
Havre De Grace, MD 21078

(410) 939-5440