Assault Weapon Ban

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: Assault Weapon Ban

If anyone has ever sat (or stood) behind an M2 and pushed the butterfly down, there is no way you wouldn't want to own one of them. It is the most exciting weapon I have ever fired.<br /><br />No gangsta is gonna be carrying one of them down the block to knock over a liquor store.

ratracer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Drowned Rat:<br /> Passing a law banning them is one way to limit the problem.
Just like banning the production of alcohol during prohibition limited its consumption, banning unauthorized entry in to the country has stopped illegal immigration, and outlawing DUI has stopped alcohol-related auto accidents? :eek:

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Drowned rat, if people end up dead in their own home because they choose to fight back, then that is their choice. They died fighting to protect, and have died with honor. I don't see any problem with that. I see a problem with someone who broke into a home, and probably learned from earlier experiences to have a weapon on hand. If that person would not have met with a soft judge, they probably would have been behind bars.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

For all of you who want to go out and buy a full automatic.Do not waste your money.Try and empty out a clip at 15 feet in a target and you will see that maybe three will have been in the target,that is if you were lucky.A semiautomatic is just as good and you have far greater control over it.Did any of you guys ever see a full automatic empty itself out because the hammer got stuck?Believe me,you do not want to see it.Go ask any of your friends who have been in the service actually using guns.they will tell you that standing orders were to keep the gun on semi.That way you can count your rounds and you don't end up empty when you need that bullet most.

Drowned Rat

Captain

ratracer, you are indeed correct, but like I said laws are a piece of the puzzle or, a step in the right direction. Why do we have laws against anything? Do you think the murder rate is higher because it is illegal? Do you think there would be fewer drunk drivers if we repealed the law against it? I understand that some laws appear to have little or no effect like the ones you mention, but it's hard to speculate what the long term results would be if you never tried. Do you think unlimited immigration should be legal? Do you think drunk driving should be legal since the law isn't producing the results you would like to see? Of course not. The question you need to ask youself is "Why do I not want a law banning assault weapons?" Is it because you don't think it would do any good or is it because you don't agree with the law fundamentally? If your answer is the latter then your above argument makes no sense as it is comparing apples to oranges.

Drowned Rat

Captain

samagee. I think when someone breaks into your home or tries to carjack you or whatever that, that is a lose-lose situation. It's hard to understand what the right choices are, and I would never second guess what a victim would do in those circumstances.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Any untrained idiot holds the hammer down. Those who have a burst setting use it. Those who don't have a burst setting, learn how to do bursts. Everyone likes to keep the hammer down at least once. :D

NOSLEEP

Commander

People as a whole "are" responsible gun owners.<br />It is a minor % of tooters that are not.<br />I left out "owner" simply because this population<br />doesn't for the most part legally own their firearms. Or take responsibility for them.<br /><br />I am referring to the criminal element.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Drowned rat. Any time a crook is sent back home in a body bag, is a win win for the victim and any would be future victims. They had no business being in a persons house. How is a citizen suppose to know someone they have never met, who is entering their home. They don't know if that person is just starving, looking for a new sex slave, or money for their next drug score.<br /><br />Crime is a hazardous occupation. They need to learn to live/die with their decisions.

Drowned Rat

Captain

I couldn't agree more samagee, honestly. But how often do we send the crooks home in a body bag? Not nearly often enough, but will more guns make us safer? I really don't know.

LubeDude

Admiral

The real answer to all of this is to have the index finger on all male babies amputated at birth!<br /><br />THATS THE REAL PROBLEM!!! :D :D :D <br /><br />A sharp stick in the right place is just as dangerous.<br /><br />Anti Gunners, "GET A LIFE"!!! :confused:

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hey lubedude,you mean sort of like a circumcision??

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

thanks mr bs cott for your reply 9-09@ 5:AM. I call 'em like I see 'em.....and this is a troll.<br /><br />BTW, am so happy you have a boat. Me too!!!!!!!! I have a house. With grass and flowers!!!!!!!<br /><br />Regarding "assault weapons", this is simply a label applied for the purpose catching attention of the segment of the citizens that are unfamiliar with firearms as a whole. And swaying their opinion for the purpose of those who would deny via legislation MY right at a US citizen to lawfully own, and use a firearm.<br /> <br />That said, when the media for example uses the label "Liberal Politician" some people assume pol that is a Democrat. They do not understand that some Democrats are conservative or moderate Democrats, thus identifying all "Liberal Politicians" as extreme left wing liberal Democrats. The intention being to cause the public to percieve that the Dems as a whole support what one Liberal Politician has stated, or acted upon, etc.<br /><br />Thus, the label "assault weapon" is a misnomer, and once again, mrbscott, a label used for the purpose I stated above.

voodoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by samagee:<br /> Hey voodoo, are you able to keep your guns in your house? Or do you have to keep them at the police station? I heard from someone else that Canada has a tons of loops to jump through, if you want to be able to keep your hunting shotgun at your house. Most only get to keep theirs at the police station, and only get access to it for three days out of the year. Is this true?
My guns (shot gun ,rifle) are locked up in my basement with a couple thousand rounds. I had to take a 2 day course, then a police background check.<br />It takes a few months to get the permit to buy regular weapons.<br />Then it is checked again as you buy new guns.<br />You may be refering to the restricted (handguns ) weapons laws that mean you have to be a member of a club and when you transport your handgun to the range you must notify the police of your trip to the range.<br />It is a different permit.<br />Almost anyone with out a criminal record can apply for a "hand gun permit". Generally a member of the club must "sponsor" you.<br />Our laws are only slightly more restrictive than yours, except for the handguns.<br />Next time I'm in Florida I'm gonna get me a permit to carry.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

As soon as this latest hurricane clears the scene, I'm gonna rush-out to my most favoritest gun guy, and buy me a new AK with a 30rnd clip, 1000 rounds-o-brassage, and go out plinkin up a Kerry/Edwards sign.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by 12Footer:<br /> As soon as this latest hurricane clears the scene, I'm gonna rush-out to my most favoritest gun guy, and buy me a new AK with a 30rnd clip, 1000 rounds-o-brassage, and go out plinkin up a Kerry/Edwards sign.
Hey, Hey, Thats probably illigal somewhere now.<br /><br />There were a few places around the country where they had to remove there OBL pictures they were selling for target practice.<br /><br />Go figure.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

LOL 12footer. Stop by some Dem Party headquarters and ask for a few yard signs. After plinking burn same in sort of a celebration!! LOL<br /><br />As Rosco said on SKS, got to remove bayonet to fit 30 round bananna, or leave bayo closed or engaged while clip is in. Thats why I prefer 20 round bananna or stripper clips. <br /><br />Years ago me and a half dozen or so buds set up a bunch of cans and junk where we were slow fire plinking. Our last "session" we all loaded our auto pistols, revolvers, scatter guns, mini 14's, couple of SKS's, bolt action center fires. Then in a hail mary all started shooten 'till empty, out of ammo. Sounded like a war zone.<br /><br />Very Cool.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Lets whup this dead horse a little more.<br /><br /><br />Ok Mamm, I'm a cop. Been one for 8 years now. I am glad that the ban is going to slip away. I reckon thats one for the cops voting against it, and none for it so far. Looks like we are winning.

Homerr

Commander

I was just going to say the same thing Ken!<br /><br />Gee Whizz already... ! Die post DIE DIE!!<br /><br />Besides... Lets all remember... It's the PERSON who kills... NOT the gun.<br /><br />Convince me otherwise, and I'll give up all the guns I have (and yes,... several of them are so-called 'assault scary-looking-guns'<br /><br /> :) <br /><br />For those of you that might not know what the heck is going on with the ban, here's some links:<br /><br /> http://www.clintongunban.com/ <br /><br /> http://www.nraila.org/CurrentLegislation/Read.aspx?ID=1230 <br /><br /> http://www.nraila.org/CurrentLegislation/Read.aspx?ID=1231 <br /><br /><br />H.