Assault Weapon Ban

KaGee

Admiral
Re: Assault Weapon Ban

Katy bar the door!<br /><br />The world's going to hell in a handbasket after midnight.

Drowned Rat

Captain

GeeksWithGuns-FreedomAirlines-1.jpg

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

I have that cartoon posted on my board in my office, drowned rat. I like it, so it's been there for at least a year now. :D

woodrat

Ensign

of course, if any passenger were allowed to carry handguns onto the plane, then don't you suppose the hijackers might have used handguns themselves, rather than box knives?<br /><br />Just a thought...

KennyKenCan

Commander

Drowned Rat,<br /><br />I agree with and support the Constitution of the United States of America, and as I did when I enlisted in the Armed Forces of the United States, I will protect and defend it from all enemies, both foreign and domestic!<br /><br />I do not agree with laws written against the U.S. Constitution! PERIOD! Laws written against the U.S. Constitution are ILLEGAL!<br /><br />If someone doesn't like the laws in the U.S. Constitution, then change the U.S. Constitution!<br /><br />But in no way, shape or form, can a law be written against the U.S Constitution! PERIOD!<br /><br />Any other complaint, is just "Bleeding Heart Libraltism", and should not, and will not be tolorated!<br /><br />Come to my house and try to collect my M1 Garand or AR-15, and you will see how I defend my Constitutional rights!<br /><br />You know, there use to a time when Athiest's and Librals where turned away from entering this country. They were labeled as "Undesirables"!<br /><br />This country should go back to those standards, which built the charactor and spine of this great nation.<br /><br />But some genius decided to allow these "undesirables" into my country, because of his libral bleeding heart thinking, and now this nation is paying dearly for that mistake!<br /><br />I'll say it again, if you don't like what is written in the U.S. Constitution, either get it changed, which is highly unlikely, or get the hell out!

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Woodrat, only citizens are allowed to own firearms.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Also woodrat. They would have to contend with all the other guns on the plane. Including the pilots.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Posted by KKC.<br />I'll say it again, if you don't like what is written in the U.S. Constitution, either get it changed, which is highly unlikely, or get the hell out!<br />
How do amendments to the Constitution come to be? How does it start? It's a rhetorical question, but surely you see where I'm going. Isn't this how it starts? A group of diversified intelligent people discussing the pros and cons of different legislation. Maybe a change for the better is made or maybe it's just right the way it is. The Framers knew changes to the Constitution would need to be made and they even included a way to facilitate it. So far the "Agree with everything you see here or get the hell out" amendment hasn't been passed yet. Although it does have a nice ring to it. Maybe you can spearhead that one Kenny. ;) The day when the citizens of this great country roll over and never question authority is the day you and I both need to be worried.<br /><br />This is a little off topic, but a worthwhile discussion.<br /><br />Oh yeah, Woodrat, it's just a cartoon. :D

Seamus

Seaman

Originally posted by mrbscott19:<br /><br />This is the most criminally violent nation on Earth, by far.
Sorry, you're wrong about that. Far wrong. Columbia and Brazil are both substantially higher. So is Scotland, of all places. <br /><br />
Originally posted by mrbscott19:<br /><br />And my statement "like any other gun" is true. You will be able to go into any gun store and buy one "like any other gun". Do you dispute this?
Sure, and why not? They are more functionally "like any other gun" than you probably realize.<br /> <br />
Originally posted by mrbscott19:<br /> I personally don't have a gun...<br />
No kidding...<br /><br />
Originally posted by mrbscott19:<br /><br />But I will get one, no doubt about it. I just think that on a common sense level, people would see that there is never a need for a 10+ round semi-automatic clip for any weapon unless you're fighting a war or trying to hurt of kill alot of people quickly. The more readily available these guns are to gangsters, nutjobs, and the like, the less secure this nation will be. Guns should be for protection, not assaults.
I'm happy to see that you are interested in getting a gun and learning about it. I think that your assertions about the "need" for 10+ round magazines and availability to criminals are off base. This law did nothing to deprive criminals of any kind of gun, and most criminals were never interested in these guns anyway. Really, if you're into shooting up kids in school it would seem silly to assume that you would be stopped in your tracks because the gun you planned to use wasn't legal to purchase or possess or anything else.

Seamus

Seaman

Originally posted by mrbscott19:<br /> The more bullets you can fire in a shorter time was definitely part of it. You can't honestly tell me that the ability to fire 10+ rounds in the time it takes to fire 1 in a handgun had nothing to do with it. Go talk to the cops on partrol that are trying to make this country safer and see what they think about the ban not being renewed. Their jobs will become alot more dangerous after Monday.
Sorry again, mrb, but you're wrong about this as well. I really am not intending to slam you, but I think you aren't very experienced with guns. I used to shoot quite a lot in competition. I could slam five steel plates with my Glock 19 in 3.19 seconds. Because of the greater recoil, I do not think I could have done the same accurate fire ratio with my H&K SR9 (.308 calibre "assault rifle" if you will) Plus, you'd be shocked at how fast a magazine can be changed in most firearms (AR15s and glocks are good examples) 10 round magazines were an arbitrary, feel-good limit with no practical reasoning behind them.<br /><br />Furthermore, your assertion that patrolmen supported the ban is wrong. The police groups which are often referred to as supporting the ban are Chief's associations. In other word, Political Action Commitees. Liberal PAC's. Most patrolmen do not line up with that thinking and their jobs won't change one iota with the ban expiring.

Seamus

Seaman

Originally posted by Drowned Rat:<br /> An FBI study conducted in the '80's showed that gun owners are 10 times more likely to be killed in their own homes than non-gun owners. Obviously that study included all manner of gun owners, and not just the "Responsible" ones, but it still makes you wonder.
An important consideration when wondering about this study is that of correlation. In other words, which is cause and which is effect? It's a fact, also "proven" by this study, that the more likely a person is to killed in his own home, the more likely he is to own a gun. For those who are not tracking, it means that if you live in a high crime neighborhood you are far more likely to put a high priority on owning firearms than you will if you live in a low crime neighborhood. Also, if you have scummy criminal "friends and associates" who are somewhat likely to kill you in your living room, there is a pretty good chance that you're going to want to have a gun around.

Seamus

Seaman

Originally posted by rolmops:<br /> For all of you who want to go out and buy a full automatic.Do not waste your money.Try and empty out a clip at 15 feet in a target and you will see that maybe three will have been in the target,that is if you were lucky.
Here, here. I've fired numerous full-auto weapons and they all had three things in common. They were all:<br />1) ridiculously fun<br />2) hideously expensive<br />3) almost completely useless as guns, in the traditional sense.<br /><br />If you have need to lay down 'covering fire', as they say, they serve this purpose. If you are intent on hitting a specific target, good luck.

Seamus

Seaman

Originally posted by LubeDude:<br /> The real answer to all of this is to have the index finger on all male babies amputated at birth!
Didn't slow down Jack Ruby

Seamus

Seaman

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br />
Originally posted by Homerr:<br /> Can you believe this? This is what kind of people we have in office in Oregon.
You already know the answer to that Homerr. A bigger collection of left wing wackos are not to be found this side if Massachusssets.
I take umbrage at that remark! I would assert that we have just as great a concentration, if not greater, of left-wing wackos right here in Seattle!

Seamus

Seaman

Originally posted by woodrat:<br /> of course, if any passenger were allowed to carry handguns onto the plane, then don't you suppose the hijackers might have used handguns themselves, rather than box knives?<br /><br />Just a thought...
Well, really. Imagine that cartoon where the hijackers have guns instead of knives. I don't see the humor being a lot different. Still, I'm not sure I disagree with the "please don't perforate our compressed-air environment" rule aboard airliners.

Drowned Rat

Captain

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Originally posted by Drowned Rat:<br />An FBI study conducted in the '80's showed that gun owners are 10 times more likely to be killed in their own homes than non-gun owners. Obviously that study included all manner of gun owners, and not just the "Responsible" ones, but it still makes you wonder. <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posted by Seamus.<br />An important consideration when wondering about this study is that of correlation. In other words, which is cause and which is effect? It's a fact, also "proven" by this study, that the more likely a person is to killed in his own home, the more likely he is to own a gun. For those who are not tracking, it means that if you live in a high crime neighborhood you are far more likely to put a high priority on owning firearms than you will if you live in a low crime neighborhood. Also, if you have scummy criminal "friends and associates" who are somewhat likely to kill you in your living room, there is a pretty good chance that you're going to want to have a gun around.
Seamus, that is indeed a contributing factor albeit a small one. The study also includes people who commit suicide with a gun, children who shoot themselves or others, and all manner of accidental shootings. Of course it also includes those individuals who, in the defense of their home, are killed by an intruder's weapon, or thier own weapon that was taken from them by an intruder. <br /><br />Even if you are a gun owner with the best of intentions, the numbers are undeniable. Obviously experienced, responsible gun owners would be on the low end of the curve, but experience is not required to purchase a gun. Too many guns are owned by losers who buy a gun because they think it's "Cool" and then end up either hurting themselves or others.

woodrat

Ensign

Drowned Rat, <br /><br />Yeah I know its a cartoon, and it cracked me up. But my brain, functioning all on its own as it often does, did take it a step further, and say "huh. but wouldn't those guys have had guns too?" And as to whether only non-citizens would be inclined towards terrorism, um... wasn't timothy mcveigh not only a citizen but a veteran of the armed forces, and certainly legally entitled to own a gun? <br /><br />(don't get me wrong, I have my many doubts about the OK city thing, and the Waco thing for that matter, but they might be viewed as *gasp* conspiracy theories!)<br /><br />And I'm not even against arming pilots, by the way.

woodrat

Ensign

I would however, be strongly in favor of the "please don't perforate our compressed air environment" rule noted above being obeyed by all parties.

Homerr

Commander

Do you think "We the sheeple" will get to see the God's honest statistics on how many gun crimes were prevented by the 10 year ban?<br /><br />I highly doubt it. :) <br /><br />Seamus: I wasn't trying to leave the rest of the states out... I'm sure there are other states that have their share of idiots in office too.<br /><br /><br />H.