Assault Weapon Ban

BQMatt

Cadet
Re: Assault Weapon Ban

Ok, I'm sorry mrb. I thought maybe we had some common ground. Maybe I misinterpeted your posts. I took you for some sort of political and social moderate. Your subsequent posts have shown me what your angle is. At the very least, following this thread has given me a few hours of entertainment. Thank you for the discourse, and I hope the rest of your boating season is safe and enjoyable! I'm going back to boating posts!

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

care to explain your comments? What is my angle? I really would like to know. If it's because I haven't agreed with a single poster of this topic it's because not a single person that supports my view has posted. I've been hit with nothing but opposition from the start. And if thats not it then I'm clueless. :confused: <br /><br />edit<br /><br />BQ, I completely missed one of your posts and that could be the cause of the confusion. The one where you said we probably have more in common than we don't have in common is the one I missed. And I do agree that the background checks are helpful, but background checks won't stop someone who's never committed a crime before. That and and they have to be able to match the gun to the crime before you can go look up the name in the database. Most people don't leave their guns at the scene of a crime.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Where do you get these statistics re Australia. It is utter B/S.<br /><br />Cheers<br />Phillip

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by ratracer:<br /> To correct a couple of mrbscott19's factual errors:<br /><br /><br />- "gangsters" and "nutjobs" i.e. convicted felons and those who have at one point been involuntarily committed to mental institutions are prohibited by Federal law from purchasing firearms. That's part of the reason for the Form 4473 you must fill out and the NICS background check you must go through whenever you buy a firearm from a licensed dealer (even at a gun show - the "gun-show loophole" gun-grabbers like to whine about is a myth). <br /><br />
Gangsters don't go to mental institutions, most aren't convicted felons, nor do they apply for their guns.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Was it Tater Salad that said "Guns don't kill, It's the husband that comes home early that kills"<br /><br />Crimes of Passion adds to the stats more than people think also.<br /><br />Geneva Ohio a couple of days ago. Man shot mulitiple rounds killing his best friend for having an affair with his wife. He then committed suicide. Then the search of his house uncovered a cash load of weapons. Assult weapons included, but the media said he used a semi-automatic.

voodoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

“Responsible” gun owners lock the weapon and ammo up separately.<br />“Responsible owners don’t leave loaded weapons under pillows or lying around the house.<br />“Responsible “ owners do not have their assault weapons stolen when their house is broken into.<br />After these weapons are stolen it becomes a problem for all of us.<br />Remember, only this way can we keep the King of England from taking over again.<br />Handguns are smuggled in from our Southern friends every day and our limp wrested laws don’t stop the criminals from getting them and using them.<br />Up here I think it should be 10 years mandatory for the carrying of a weapon in the commission of a crime.<br />1 year for unsafe storage or carrying a handgun.<br />Then we all need the jail space to keep them in.<br />Our jails (US and Canada) are full, wanna buy Australia and turn it into a penal colony? ;) <br />Sorry I couldn’t resist.<br />Just heard about the Aussie embassy bombing. :mad: <br />My condolences.

LadyFish

Admiral

We should never be outgunned by our enemies.<br /><br />Regardless of bans, the criminals will always be able to get their hands on assult weapons. It's the law abiding citizens who won't be able to aquire them as easily.<br /><br />Again, "If you outlaw guns, only the outlaws will have guns".

Ralph 123

Captain

Did you know?<br /><br />
r2995855762.jpg
<br /><br />
KERRY COSPONSORED BILL BANNING GUN HE WAVES<br /><br />Was Dem presidential hopeful John Kerry seen this weekend waving a gun which would have been banned if legislation he co-sponsored became law?<br /><br />Kerry co-sponsored S. 1431 last year (“The Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2003) which would have banned a "semiautomatic shotgun that has a pistol grip.” <br /><br />Opponents of the bill successfully argued how nearly all guns have "pistol grips," inluding millions of Browning Auto-5 shotguns produced since 1903.<br /><br />Photos show Kerry's hand resting on the "pistol grip," as loosely defined in the bill. [Section SEC. 2; (H) (ii) and (b)(42): "The term 'pistol grip' means a grip, a thumbhole stock, or any other characteristic that can function as a grip."] <br /><br />Kerry was presented with the semiautomatic shotgun during a Labor Day stop in Racine, West Virginia.<br /><br />"I thank you for the gift, but I can't take it to the debate with me," Kerry told a cheering crowd as he held up the device.<br /><br />But Kerry's gun bill would have also banned any "gift" transaction! <br /><br />[It is not clear if Kerry completed the required paperwork (Form 4473) before he claimed the gun.] <br /><br />Developing...
http://www.drudgereportarchives.com/data/2004/09/07/20040907_214603_dncg.htm

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Well I guess you don't want to know how many rounds my pre ban magazines for my glock 17 holds. Also, I have a two mag holder that is strapped under my shoulder holster. So not only am I carrying nearly 20 rounds in the gun, I have two more mags right under the gun ready to go. Not to mention that I have hollow points in them. I also have some really nasty ammo for my shot gun. I won't go into detail, but lets just say it's no where near your normal friendly stuff. :D <br /><br />I am glad the ban is being lifted. Although it has not kept anyone from getting a federal license to have real assault rifles. I find statements like mrbscott very funy. The whole panic about assault rifles, when they were not in fact assault rifles, is very comical. That doesn't even cover the fact that criminals don't follow the letter of the law.<br /><br />Yea, some call me a nut case. But I like to be more armed then what might be coming into my house.

oddjob

Commander

Thanks for the heads up scott....you or the mods should relocate this thread to the Good News Catagory... :)

gaugeguy

Captain

I have an AK-47 and a Thompson at home. Why do I have them? Because they look cool, they were a gift from my father, and they are fun as all heck to shoot. Would I use them to defend my family if an intruder broke into my house? Probably not, I own much lighter, smaller guns that make just as big holes as my "assault weapons".

NOSLEEP

Commander

Yes every responsible citizen should be issued<br />assault rifles and hand guns.<br />America can put an end to this homeland security<br />threat today.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You can't honestly tell me that the ability to fire 10+ rounds in the time it takes to fire 1 in a handgun had nothing to do with it.
Well, I can honestly say that you don't know much about guns, therefore.... what you are talking about.<br /><br />Most of the guns effected by the ban were handguns, as many had 11-20 round magazines.<br /><br />You obviously don't know the difference between a semi-auto and auto fire.<br /><br />Show me any semi auto that can do this "10 to 1" firing speed and you will showing me something that doesn't exist.<br /><br />++++++++++++++++++++++++++++<br />What did I have to do legally, to add 30 or 50 round magazines to one of my rifles?<br />Simply remove the bayonet mount.<br />Wow, now that made a difference.<br /><br />Now, the real any only gun problem is the illegally ( smuggled) guns that are coming into the country with the drugs.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Hey voodoo, are you able to keep your guns in your house? Or do you have to keep them at the police station? I heard from someone else that Canada has a tons of loops to jump through, if you want to be able to keep your hunting shotgun at your house. Most only get to keep theirs at the police station, and only get access to it for three days out of the year. Is this true?

KaGee

Admiral

Well, I guess America is in deep doo doo once again as I heard on the news this morning that it appears the Republican leadership is unwilling to bring this up for renewal. So, the ban will expire.<br /><br />What will we ever do! :rolleyes:

ratracer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Kiwi Phil:<br /> Where do you get these statistics re Australia. It is utter B/S.<br /><br />Cheers<br />Phillip
If they're BS, you've got a bone to pick with the Australia Bureau of Statistics, the Australian Institute of Criminology, the FBI, and the US Department of Justice, because they're the sources of the data. All 4 are agencies of either the Australian or US governments.<br /><br />Using the estimated population figure of 19.7 million Australians in June 2002 and the reported crime figures (violent + property crimes) which total to 1,385,615 (1) in 2002, the crime rate works out to approx. 70 crimes per 1000 population.<br /><br />Using the 2001 figures for the US (latest certified) the quoted values are population 284,796,887 and 11,849,006 crimes(2) reported, which works out to a crime rate of approx. 41 crimes per 1000 population. Based on those figures you are in fact statistically more likely to be a crime victim in Australia than in the US - which was what I had claimed. <br /><br />When I took a quick look at the data for couple of other years there were year-to-year variances for particular crime types but they weren't significant in the aggregate.<br /><br />If you can point me to data from a reputable source that either indicates there is a disproportionate rate of unreported crimes between the 2 countries, or the government figures are incorrect, or my math is wrong please do so.<br /><br />(1) total of homicide + assault + rape + robbery + "unlawful entry w/intent" (their term) + auto theft + other theft<br /><br />(2) Does not include deaths directly attributed to the events of 9/11/01.

gaugeguy

Captain

You will also notice that the Dems are not touching this one either in this campaign, for fear of the wrath of the NRA. :p

ratracer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by NOSLEEP:<br /> Yes every responsible citizen should be issued<br />assault rifles and hand guns.<br />America can put an end to this homeland security<br />threat today.
Seems to work for the Swiss.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

I should have known, mrbscott, that you couldn't start a thread asking an honest question and accept honest answers without responding with shrill, scripted responses lifted right out of the left-wing's playbook. <br /><br />You've made it obvious in some of your comments that you are barely, if even, out of your teens. You've chosen to mimic marxist propoganda, and not use your own head and think for yourself. It's a stage you're going through---I'll cut you that much slack.<br /><br />The bottom line, however, is that you are nothing but a troll, and you are here only to start arguments. Grow up and learn.

Drowned Rat

Captain

I don't have a problem with a "Responsible" gun owner having an assault rifle, but the problem is how do you keep these weapons out of the hands of irresponsible people? Passing a law banning them is one way to limit the problem. I also think that too many people consider themselves responsible who are not at all responsible, and these are probably the most dangerous gun owners out there. They think they have the knowledge, skill, and "guts" to use a weapon if they had to, but how many real life situations have they been exposed to. A firearm in the hands of a truely responsible gun owner may or may not change the outcome of a crime being commited against you, but all too often it is the gun owner's own weapon that is turned against him or his family. An FBI study conducted in the '80's showed that gun owners are 10 times more likely to be killed in their own homes than non-gun owners. Obviously that study included all manner of gun owners, and not just the "Responsible" ones, but it still makes you wonder. Many of those killed were no doubt well meaning, hard working, individuals who thought they needed a gun to protect their family. How do you keep guns out of the hands of people like this? How much more damage would occur if this well meaning husband and father of 3 had carried home an assault rifle instead of a pistol. <br /><br />Where do you draw the line with weaponry? How armed do we need to be? What kind of arms are "too much" for the citizenry to handle? People "as a whole" are not responsible gun owners. There are too many irresponsible, gun weilding maniacs out there to bring down the average. To say nothing of the well meaning types who are too ignorant to know better. I have seen too much tragedy involving hand guns to have any other opinion and I don't apologize for it. I am sorry I don't have a solution, but allowing the production and sale of bigger, badder, and more lethal firearms to the masses isn't it.