Are all boaters republican?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unixgeek13

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Are all boaters republican?

I know that it is up to the states, but I wonder how many people actually understand how it all really works. All I said is that it seems to me that "all or nothing" goes against the grain. Dunno...

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I agree. I think the EC system is flawed by this inconsistency as well as the power held by the big states. Other nations look to US and wonder how a society that embraces majority rule can end up with a president that wasn't chosen by the majority. The founding fathers debated this back and forth quite contentiously. Like many parts of the Constitution, the EC was the compromise. I think it has proved to be a mistake that should be corrected. But I'm sure the founding fathers are looking down on this little experiment and are still as divided as they were 225 years ago.

Ralph 123

Captain

He may call Kerry a friend but he does not support him for President. McCain would not even speak to Kerry when he was first elected but came to foregive him for what he did during a long flight they were both on. Then they started working on the POW/MIA issue together and became "friends." McCain also told Kerry from the beginning to not bring up Vietnam as nothing good could come from it. Kerry ignored the advice.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by unixgeek13:<br /> I know that it is up to the states, but I wonder how many people actually understand how it all really works.
Unfortunately, not very many, unixgeek. We have now raised several generations of students who have not been educated on the whys and wherefores of this matter. The reasons for it go to the core of the safeguards of liberty as wisely forseen by our Forefathers. <br /><br />Since schools have become defacto parents under control of the liberal NEA such matters have been purposefully eliminated or de-emphasized from the curriculum.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by WillyBWright:<br /> Other nations look to US and wonder how a society that embraces majority rule can end up with a president that wasn't chosen by the majority.
Only the ignorant, WB. Most all of the brilliance contained in the Constitution was formed in the forge of compromise. That does not invalidate it one iota.<br /><br />Once again you re-emphasize your lack of knowledge. The EC does not give advantage to the larger states. It is just the opposite.

woodrat

Ensign

Just found this thread and skimmed though it. I am NOT a republican or a democrat, I think libertarian would come the closest to my politcal views. I will not vote for King George and I won't vote for Kerry either. I abhor the system that sets me up to have to choose between two evils, and that's what I believe the system has been doing for most if not all of my life. I don't think either party has anything useful to offer most Americans or anyone else. I think the 2000 election was totally rigged, and I think this one will be even more so, so really, from my point of view, with no candidate representing anything close to my values and the system so faulty and corrupted anyway, I doubt that I will bother to vote at all for president. I do still show up at the polls every time, and always vote local issues and candidates if I feel well educated enough to do so, but nationally, I think we have suffered a coup and things are only going to get worse before they get better. Replacing the repugnant George Bush II with the pathetic democrat-du-jour is not my idea of useful change.<br />(And no, I didn't vote for Al Gore either.)<br /><br />That being said, I think that ANYONE who berates Kerry for having gotten a purple heart for injuries that weren't "serious" enough is delivering a slap in the face to every injured vet that ever was. Injured in combat is injured in combat, and to start saying that some injuries suffered in combat aren't as "worthy" as others is pretty.... well, I 'm not sure how to even describe it. And I would guess that most of those doing the sneering have never seen combat, let alone suffered injuries in combat. We know for a fact that King George never got anywhere near combat and I would guess that Karl Rove, John Ashcroft, donald rumsfeld and most of the rest of the gang are in the same boat. There isn't anything they can do to go back and make themselves into decorated vets, so they try to trash Kerry for not really deserving the decorations he got. Disgusting! (yes, more disgusting than Kerry trying to make political hay out of his decorations, although that is pretty lame as well.)<br /><br />As far as Vietnam service records go, I do think that Bush's records are relevant, since he has led us, with much dishonesty and hubris, into a war with no clear end in sight, and from my libertarian point of view, a war that was not necessary or in our national interest. (we used to LOVE saddam when he was warring on Iran, our enemy then, and when he gassed the Kurds, we said NOTHING about it. Blatant hypocisy to condemn him for that a more than a decade after the fact.) Anyway, I digress. Bush's service records look pretty shabby, even if you discount the latest round of disclosures that are alleged to be fakes.<br /><br /><br />"This isn't a war that anybody ever wins. When you think you won and go home, they start again. Terrorists are the people that always have to be kept down to prevent the spread. You can't just say "they'll all be home". The damned terrorists would come right here with the troops!"<br /><br /><br />Reality check: terrorists wouldn't have ever gotten started anywhere at anypoint in history if they didn't have real grievances, some level of popular support, and were getting nowhere working through the "proper channels". The idea that they are terrorists because they are naturally just "bad guys" or because they "hate freedom" is simple-minded BS. No, I do not support blowing up innocent civilians to make a point, but let's get real: terrorism is a method, not a movement or ideology. Terrorism will NEVER be wiped out by killing everyone who practices it. NEVER. If you ignore the legitimate greivances and screw people around enough when they try to work through the normal channels to get their greivances heard, then eventually some of them will turn to non-state-sanctioned violence to get their way. The founding fathers of this country knew all about this. And for a modern perspective, Israel hasn't exactly succeeded at wiping out terrorism by "keeping down" the palestinians. In fact, their attempts at "keeping them down" has probably made the situation all the worse. After all, no humans really want to tolerate living inside a fence under military occupation, no matter who they are, or who their occupiers are.<br /><br />The idea that "terrorism" trumps all other concerns is just a piece of BS to get people used to the idea of perpetual war. It loooks like its working pretty well, when we can sit here and discuss the war that can "never be won" and how we have to let all other issues go by the wayside for the forseeable future. What happens in four years when the unwinnable war is still going on, but our hubris-filled president cannot run for another term? Do we ignore our Constitution and make him King for real? we already ignored our Constitution when Congress cravenly gave away its war making authority to the president in the first place, so I guess doing away with term limits or even elections would probably be OK too, huh? After all, as long as we are "at war", then no one really has the right to challenge whoever is in power anyway, right?<br /><br />I doubt that this post will make me really popular here, but hey, its a free country, right?<br /><br />Anyway, the answer is NO, not all boaters are republicans and some of us who aren't republicans aren't democrats either ( surprise! ).

NOSLEEP

Commander

There is some truth to what you say,woodrat.<br />Fighting back is better than sticking you head<br />in the sand even on a bad day.<br />The system has its checks and balances. You <br />won't have to put up with Bush after another 4<br />years.<br />You may even get a chance to defend your country<br />and yourself some day.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Everyone has been critical of the electoral college. I go by the facts, and fact is, the USA is one of the best countries ever, all lead by persons elected by a "flawed" system.<br /><br />Doesnt sound too flawed to me.<br /><br />As for being a Republican, the party spelled it out for you.<br /><br />"My fellow immigrants, my fellow Americans, how do you know if you are a Republican? Well, I tell you how. If you believe that government should be accountable to the people, not the people to the government, then you are a Republican.<br /><br />If you believe a person should be treated as an individual, not as a member of an interest group, then you are a Republican.<br /><br />If you believe your family knows how to spend your money better than the government does, then you are a Republican.<br /><br />If you believe our educational system should be held accountable for the progress of our children, then you are a Republican.<br /><br />If you believe this country, not the United Nations, is the best hope for democracy, then you are a Republican.<br /><br />And, ladies and gentlemen, if you believe that we must be fierce and relentless and terminate terrorism, then you are a Republican.<br /><br />Now, there's another way you can tell you're a Republican. You have faith in free enterprise, faith in the resourcefulness of the American people and faith in the U.S. economy. And to those critics who are so pessimistic about our economy, I say: Don't be economic girlie-men."

woodrat

Ensign

No Sleep,<br /><br />Yes, fighting back is often appropriate, but fighting back implies that you are fighting against someone who has attacked you. We invaded iraq, a sovereign nation who had not attacked us. That is one of the things that germany was in the dock for at nuremburg. Just because saddam was a brute and a jerk and a bad neighbor did not give us cause to invade his country. By that logic, we would be VERY busy invading countries all over the place! It is worth noting that the guy who supposedly DID attack us has not been captured, and the last I heard from George, his capture wasn't a particularly high priority right now.<br /><br />I do hope you are right about checks and balances, but I am not hopeful. Checks and balances were what delegated war-making authority to Congress and then Congress gave it away, due to fuzzy, emotional responses to 911 and what not. I am not very confident that another extreme event and the emtional reaction to that would not have us cancelling elections the next time. After all, there are those who would say that no one should challenge George in this election because we are at war. In my more cynical moments, I think that the whole "endless war" concept is actually designed to help the radical right wing consolidate power, and preclude any serious challenge to their goals.<br /><br />Thanks for your civil and respectful tone.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Woodrat, reading what you have to say, I respectfully suggest you really are a Democrat and should vote thusly.

woodrat

Ensign

Sorry Boomyal, I respectfully reject your assertion. One does not have to be a democrat OR a republican. I am neither. <br /><br />I have voted for republicans, democrats, indepedents, libertarians and even greens in my lifetime and I reserve the right to continue to vote for whoever I feel best represents my values and hopes, not my fears or apprehensions. I know that really doesn't go over very well with those who like to look at things as either one way or another and nothing in between, but that's the way it is. I suspect that there are more Americans out there like me in that regard.<br /><br />Actually, it offends me when people assume I must be a democrat or a "liberal" if I don't support the republicans. What gives you the right to decide my political persuasion for me based on my lack of support for George Bush? What's even worse is the inmplication that if I were a democrat, that would make me "un-american" somehow. The republicans don't have the lock on what is or is not American or patriotic, as much as they would love to think so.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Spoken like a true NW liberal Woodrat. :p Forget Democrat or Republican, IMHO there are only liberals and conservatives, some more so than others but this 'independent middle of the road business is just a cop out. You stand in the middle of the road and ya get run over!

woodrat

Ensign

Yeah, I know. Anyone who is not lock-step with the repubs must be a traitor of some kind, huh?<br /><br />You must love the new closed primary then, since it sorts us all into our appropriate little boxes.<br /><br />God help this country...

woodrat

Ensign

I guess I disagree with your humble opinion then, because I think extremism in one direction or another is a destructive force. <br /><br />here's an example:<br /><br />I love to fish, and I sure hate seeing people get their fish taken away by sea lions, which I think are stupidly over-protected by NOAA and all the dishonest bureaucratic processes. However, I know that if they were not protected, angry extremists would try to exterminate them completely, something I do not think is a good idea. So you've got two stupid nad reactionary extremes, with the long-term solution somewhere in the middle, waiting to get run over by one extremist group or another. Same with trees and forests. I own a sawmill and believe in using wood and harvesting trees. I do NOT support vast corporate clearcuts while at the same time being unable to buy a 2x6 at the store that does not have the pith and two sides of wane in the same board. Does that make me a liberal or a conservative? Why do I have to pick an extreme side when they are both wrong?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by woodrat:<br /> You must love the new closed primary then, since it sorts us all into our appropriate little boxes.
As a matter of fact I do. A political party, in the primary, has every right to expect that one be a member of that party to vote for it's array of candidates. You get your choice in the general election. That's the choice you made.

woodrat

Ensign

Fair enough. Would be even farier if the parties had to pay for their own private affairs rather than having the state run it and pay for it for them.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Well I'm not sure what you mean by that but I'll have to wait for the AM, as it's time for doing some serious sawing on some of those old growth logs. ;) Early to bed keeps that mean ole conservative snarl in top form. :D

woodrat

Ensign

Oops! That doesn't sound very liberal does it? <br /><br />And speaking of discrepancies, how is it that John Ashcroft, man of the republican party, manages to meddle in so many state's rights affairs, like medically assisted suicide? I thought the repubs were all about state's rights if it was in an arena where the constitution did not specifically set out the federal government's role. I thought the repubs were about a weaker and less meddling federal government, or is that just where corporate concerns are involved?<br /><br />Here's another little dichotomy for you:<br /><br />Liberals want the federal govt to meddle in the affairs of business, conservatives want the feds to meddle in the affairs of individual's private lives.<br /><br />I personally want the feds to be doing less meddling all the way around. Does that leave me standing out there in the road, waiting to get run over by the libs and the conservatives?

woodrat

Ensign

What I mean by that is why should the state subsidize a primary election that is closed to members of the public who are not members of a political party (one big enough to qualify for the ballot)? Why shouldn't the parties run and pay for their own closed internal elections?

Status
Not open for further replies.