76 16' Starcraft Kingfisher project.............I hope!

Trevordog

Seaman Apprentice
Well after spending countless hours looking at some of the projects here, I have decided to jump in and try one myself. You guys make it look so easy, kind of like after I watch American
Chopper, I think I can go build a chopper for myself.

I purchased a 1976 16' Starcraft kingfisher for $350. Boat was pretty rough, but appears to have good bones. The floor was completely rotted to the point I don't have a template to make
the new one, I guess I will deal with that soon enough. It has a 35 Evinrude that needs a little carb work, but otherwise is in good condition. I can't use the 35 (10 hp max on the lakes we
fish here in NJ). My plan is to replace it with a 9.9 with remote steering and controls. I am planning on keeping it a fishing boat and would like to make some casting boxes for the bow
and stern and adding a few seats for the kids. I gutted the boat to the bare bones and am ready to start.

I would like to do the following:

* gluvit all the rivets (boat does not leak other than one minor leak in the keel, but might as well)
* replace transom
* re-paint
* add flotation and replace floor
* build new side console and casting boxes
* install new seats
* install new motor with steering (rotary) and controls
* GO FISHING

I have learned a ton from iboats forum, but still have alot of questions, so here is my first one.

At this point the boat is stripped down to bare bones. I know the first few things I would like to do is apply gluvit, replace transom, re-paint and replace floor, but in what order should I
do them? Feel free to school me here. How would you do it?

Thanks in advance for all the help, this forum is a life saver.
IMG_0053.jpg
IMG_0080-1.jpg
100_3181.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: 76 16' Starcraft Kingfisher project.............I hope!

I'd do the transom next then pressure wash inside and out, then strip and paint the outside.

Then the Gluvit, then the foam, then the deck.

That should keep you busy for a day or two.

Trevordog

Seaman Apprentice

I have a new question. I am a bit confused as to what I should seal the transom with. I removed the old transom, and fabricated my new one with 2 pieces of 3/4 plywood. Now I need to seal it, but I have read that it should be glassed or epoxied. Do I have to glass it or can I just seal it with epoxy alone. If so, is a there a particular brand that you recommend. If just epoxy, how many coats. Thank you as always for your help.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If you use poly resin, you have to add fiberglass. If you use epoxy resin, you can use that by itself. You're unlikely to find epoxy locally. A lot of us have used Clark Craft or U.S. Composites epoxy.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Good to see you started on her. I look forward to watching you restore her. Give that boy of yours a hug from Me and Zach

I'll get jasoutside to add this to our Starcraft Restoration Threads. We'll get an answer to the # of coats on the epoxy too.;)

Bwana Don

Decker83

Commander

I have a question about the epoxy. If he only uses the epoxy, shouldn't he also put some type of uv protection over it or does it matter.

Good looking boat. Great start.

Kent

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the Starcraft club, Trevor. Like you said - good bones. Here's a hint for floor templates and it serves two purposes. Get a couple of sheets of foam board that you plan to use for flotation. Use them to make deck templates, then cut them to fit for underdeck flotation. Two birds with one stone. Then go fishing and have fun.

Trevordog

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the great advise. No excuses, but tough trying to find time to work on her. I got the old transom out and fabricated the new one. Just received my epoxy resin and fiberglass yesterday from US Composites. Plan on doing fiberglass on transom. Figured it would give me some
practice when I start the floor and can't hurt for strength. Ga_Boater, great idea on foam boards. I will do that. I was going to use cardboard, but thought that was going to be tough. Thanks for the help. I know....PHOTO's, they are coming.

Bwana Don, As I have said before he is my inspiration for this project, and hugs have been delivered on your behalf.....thanks.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Why spend the extra time and money on a steering council????,....

Through 9.9 tiller on it and be done with the rigging,..................

It would also open up more space for fishing,.....

Just my opinion,............

Trevordog

Seaman Apprentice

New Question! I was going over the hull in preparation to paint. The previous owners have installed every option possible by screwing it into various parts of the boat, mostly on the stern. I have removed all the old screws which now brings me to my question. Do I just
fill the hole with a rivet? If so, do I 5200 the rivet upon installing it, or Gluvit the inside? Along the same lines. The boat had some old rod holders installed on the inside of the hull with screws. I don't want them on the boat and would like to remove them. Same as last question. Do I replace the screw holes with rivets and 5200 or Gluvit.

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Why spend the extra time and money on a steering council????,....

Through 9.9 tiller on it and be done with the rigging,..................

It would also open up more space for fishing,.....

Just my opinion,............

Oh man, I hate to agree with teamster on the tiller, but for a 9.9 I'm totally with him.

For all those holes - rivets or stainless along with 5200 and you'll be good to go.

Have fun, great project!

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Check out my Sea Scamp thread. I brazed 4 holes in the stern of my (Zach's) boat. The holes were 7/16 diameter. It took a while to learn how to use the rod but I think it worked out well. If you've never welded there is a learning curve. Use MAP gas and not propane, it's hotter.

Rivets or bolts (pan head) and 5200 would work too. Previous owners are such a pain.:facepalm:

Keep that boy of yours working with his hands. It helps them in a lot of ways. Fires the brain up and they do need help with this. Plus you can always tell the wife what good therapy fishing and boat restoration is (without lying, so no guilty conscience). As a bonus it's fun for you too. God gave them to us for a reason, it was no accident.

Mine has trouble with turn taking and waiting for things. He gets an allowance now, budgeting is always a challenge. He wants it now and doesn't want to save for it. He's got Yum Money Minnows picked out at Bass Pro Shops. They are $10.00, he's only got $5.00. He decided to wait one more week rather than spend his money on something else. Big break through, a week is going to be forever to him though. He started whining today. He'll learn, I hope!

Good luck and God Bless.

Trevordog

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys, I think I will go the rivet/5200 route. Sorry Bwana D, not much of a welder.

Bwana D, my son (Travis) is only a little over 3, so even though I bring him and his brother out with me to work on the boat, we mostly just follow him around exploring the garage. Still great fun and its gets us out of the house. We were fortunate enough for our school district to agree to an out of district placement. He is at a great school and making progress each day. I know we will be fishing together in our boat very soon. Thanks for the great advise!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Welcome aboard Trevor:)

Don't worry, there are plenty of ways to fix holes and whatnot without welding:D

Sounds like a great family project. My 3-year-old likes it when I follow him around the garage too.

Makes it easier to find the tools he is constantly relocating:D

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Match his five and go have so fun with your son.

He waited for next payday and he bought his rubber minnows. Last week I matched his money and he got his Halloween skull that talks. He's learning to do chores and wait a little for things by saving. My wife thinks I baby him too much. Ever since we got the autism diagnosis she says I cut him too much slack, plus being an only child he's a bit spoiled. She's right.

Trevor, rivets and 5200 is a good way to go. The way I filled in those holes is actually brazing, the stuff melts at 500-600 degrees, well below the aluminum melting point of 1250 F. It made me feel super manly too. Fire, molten aluminum, me like. The first 5 times I tried it it didn't work, much cussing and spitting, some crying:facepalm:. I don't blame you for riveting.

School is a toughie for us. I'm glad it's working out for you.

Trevordog

Seaman Apprentice

Well I got the transom done and installed, boat is flipped over and preparing for paint. This brings me to my next question. I have read a ton of posts about painting and preparing to paint. Most posts have mentioned to sand with 220. I started to sand, but it does not look like it does much in the way of scuffing the old paint. In fact it seems pretty smooth to me. Is this right, should I be using a lower grit? Also any last minute tips for painting. I am going to use Pettit easypoxy with the roll and tip method. Thanks again for all the help.

IMG_0458.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

220 should be fine. Just make sure you prime.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

220 is perfect. Any bare spots in the aluminum require self etching primer. As EZ says, I recommend Priming the entire boat with MFG recommended Primer. Not Self Etching, but the MFG recommended primer for the Final Coat Paint you are using. Some say paint over the old paint. Not Me! Primer has inherent qualities that allow the Final Coat to properly bond. For Pettit Easy Poxy on an Aluminum Boat, I'd recommend using Pettit's Standard Undercoater on your boat.