Starter problem OMC Cobra 2.3L ??

Baylinercapri1987

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My '87 OMC Cobra 2.3L engine is not starting right now, the solinoid clicks when I turn the key, but I get nothing. I took the starter off and cleaned/greased everything, but it still just "clicks" when I turn the key. It will turn over great once it does, It was going out (took a few turns of the key to enguage the starter). Then I noticed my up/down for the drive is not working as well today (was working yesterday). Could the main solinoid be going out?

Thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starter problem OMC Cobra 2.3L ??

The starter solenoid has nothing to do with your trim. Have you checked the voltage of your battery? Measure with a voltmeter while you are operating your trim and see what it drops to.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Trim solenoids and starter solenoid are two totally different things.
Check battery voltage as Bruce suggested then check all your connections are clean and tight.Sounds like a ground or battery issue..

Baylinercapri1987

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Battery is at 12.7V and I did test with another good batt. I tryed jumpimg 12V to the starter and I got nothing.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You need to check the voltage while you are operating the circuit...didyou do that?

For the start problem, measure the voltage between the negative terminal of the battery and both the erminal of the starter solenoid that ht ebattery cable goes to and the terminal of the starter that the solenoid attatches to.

saddleman

Recruit

Hello,
It really sounds as if you have grounding issues or battery cable issues. I would take all the battery cables off of the battery (negative always first off last on) and scrub terminals with a good wire brush and Baking soda/water solution. I had issues similar to yours and took off every ground wire connection and wire brushed the terminals and it fixed all of those type issues.
Best Regards
keith