1989 Johnson 20HP

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1989 Johnson 20HP "Quick help please! =)"

Ok you are right, the bottom one is the one,,,,,i got confused especially after watching the hocky game yesterday.....lol :confused:

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok. So now that I have the black plastic keeper on the bottom shaft off, I am ok to take out the bolts holding on the foot and it should come off now?
PS
All good on the mistake ;) I am thankful for your help!

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Yes you are ready to lower it. Go for the Gold...!

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

hang tight, I am going to take a picture just to make sure.

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

dscf0293a.jpg

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Ok shift the motor to lower the upper theraded portion of the nut. Grip the nut with needle nose plyers and raise it up the shaft to exposed the other plastic keeper. Then remove the keeper.

There is also a nut on the front side of the motor along with the four bolts that hold the lower unit on.

You should be ready to lower at that point.

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alright. I will try it again, last time I tried it didnt wanna budge.. I still dont see the point in removing the keepers :S Will go to er and letcha know.
PS yes, I already removed that nut up at the front, all the other bolts are still in though, just broke em free.

Will report back shortly. Thanks!

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

having a hell of a time getting that nut to move :confused: even stuck a dab of used gear oil around the center of the nut to lube it..any tricks? I dont want to try using the needle nose pliers and taping up on the nut.. scared of breaking something.. sheesh.. ill keep trying!

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

The paint looks to be holding up process. You can grip the upper shift rod with vice grips, then use a wrench to break the upper half free and work it up the shift linkage. It does need to be removed. The lower one is the one that didn't need removed I realized after looking at the photo.....Nice original paint I must mention...

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

The paint looks to be holding up process. You can grip the upper shift rod with vice grips, then use a wrench to break the upper half free and work it up the shift linkage. It does need to be removed. The lower one is the one that didn't need removed I realized after looking at the photo.....Nice original paint I must mention...

I almost have it out! half way there.. whew!

Ah. it's scratched up bud, just that part isnt lol.

Ok, will report back in a moment here. have that keeper about 2/3's of the way exposed. I guess it would be a pain having NEVER been removed.. scared to see what it looks like in there having never had the impeller ever changed :eek:
Will report back soon!

jbjennings

Captain

Well,
I believe when you take the keeper off, then the nut will slide off the shaft and you can drop the lower unit. I'm pretty certain that the nut should slide up the shaft.
Put a pair of pliers Below the nut and tap up on the pliers. The nut should slide up. Don't get rough with it.
Good luck,
JBJ

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok. I got the top keeper off.. now what? Should that whole threaded brass coupler come off the upper shaft?

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well,
I believe when you take the keeper off, then the nut will slide off the shaft and you can drop the lower unit. I'm pretty certain that the nut should slide up the shaft.
Put a pair of pliers Below the nut and tap up on the pliers. The nut should slide up. Don't get rough with it.
Good luck,
JBJ

So that brass threaded part on the upper shaft should now slide down and off of the upper shaft now? upper and lower keepers are both off.

ETA: nevermind, got it off ;) ok.. now for taking the bolts out for the foot :eek: will report back soon!

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well that is done.. took a couple pictures, but now looking at the pictures, it looks like water droplets in there.. is this baaaaad? :eek:
PS look at those housing bolts.. never a wrench on em. anxious to have a look inside :cool:

dscf0296.jpg

dscf0294q.jpg

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Guess that means the seal is leaking at the base of the housing? or maybe the tube was off:confused: I am gonna have a smoke break and grab a coffee and take the housing off and see what is up.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Good job!

Some water droplets are normal since the water tube is now disconnected.

Notice the rubber gromet in the pump housing, there is a copper tube up in the exhaust housing that connects to the gromet in the water pump. Grab that copper water tube, note it's position, and pull it straight down. Inspect the rubber gromet on the top of the tube.

There is also a plastic tube with o-rings that fits over the diveshaft. (Still in the motor midsection) Remove it also and inspect the o-rings.

Everything looks great so far.!:)

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

:) Thanks, ya I had to give it a little wack with the rubber mallet to get it loose.. Anywho, I tried to pull the copper pip out but its in there pretty well, I think I should just leave that for now, I did how ever take a picture of its place so when or if I do remove it, I will know where it goes.
Ok. I am going to take the bolts out of the housing and see what kind of suprise is under the hood.. Who wants to guess how many blades are broken? :D
Will report back when its off with pix ;)

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pix in a moment!

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well guys.. here are some pictures, I was expecting worse... I dont know what to make of this... does this look like a pooched impeller? no blades missing...:confused:
dscf0305u.jpg

dscf0306u.jpg

dscf0307d.jpg

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I should note that when I tried to turn the impeller it seemed slightly stuck on the base of the floor of the unit? there is play in the impeller, meaning if I go and turn the impeller on the shaft, there is circular play until it engages the shim and then turns the drive shaft.... thoughts?

ETA: And ya, the blades look pretty rotted/looks like it has done a burn out on the top of the impeller as you can tell by looking at the cup it sits in....