1989 Johnson 20HP

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1989 Johnson 20HP

Makes sense. Guess I will wait until I remove the foot.

Unfortunately, I cant get an OEM manual here, just the crappy ones that have a whole pile of motors in one manual. I have worked on lots of dirt bikes over my years, but this is the first time working on an outboard, but I should be ok. My only question is how to remove the foot. I am to the understanding that a member on here said "I am sorry cant remember your username off hand" to take the two screws out of the black intake screens on each side, and there is where disconnect the shift rod correct? then just undo the bolts and it should slip right off?

Yes! I am going to get a manual for this motor if I can find one here! :)

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Makes sense. Guess I will wait until I remove the foot.

Unfortunately, I cant get an OEM manual here, just the crappy ones that have a whole pile of motors in one manual. I have worked on lots of dirt bikes over my years, but this is the first time working on an outboard, but I should be ok. My only question is how to remove the foot. I am to the understanding that a member on here said "I am sorry cant remember your username off hand" to take the two screws out of the black intake screens on each side, and there is where disconnect the shift rod correct? then just undo the bolts and it should slip right off?

Yes! I am going to get a manual for this motor if I can find one here! :)

You can order a seloc manual from iboats.com. These manuals are fine for the maintenance items such as changing an impeller and gear oil.

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have heard nothing but bad things about them so I wont bother going there. Hey now, I am not that dumb when it comes to outboards lol. I surely know how to change the gear oil, plugs,clean fuel filter etc. Maintence isnt an issue, just ripping them apart. I probably wont even need a manual to do the impeller kit eh, looks like a pretty simple task "crosses fingers" :p

PS
Tried to send you a PM but when I click it, it wont work :confused:

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

What is the heat range of a Champion QL82C These are the plugs that are in the motor. The one plug wasnt even tight, could take it out with my fingers :rolleyes: Plugs looked nice and clean though. Also another thing worth mentioning. The original owner always ran 40:1 ratio as he wanted extra protection. So that made me feel good knowing that. I wonder if I should do a decarb knowing that though when I get the impeller in?

PS
I dont plan on WOTing this motor, so should I be using these plugs? or should I look to something else?

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the link!

Probably going to take the foot off today. Have an impeller or impeller repair kit lined up here locally made by Kimpex, are they good?

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Guys.

I have the motor up in the air on a make shift stand :p have the lower unit oil draining, I took the black intake screen on each side off. I see no such black cone pin to release the shaft.. In the center of where I took off the black water intake screens is a white shaft about half inch in diameter with a nut kind of thing in the middle of it... what do I do? I KNOW I should have a manual, but all iam doing is taking off the foot, a job anyone should be able to do right? Take it that the two bolds on each side facing up and the one nut at the front on the top are the bolts to undo.

I just dont want to undo them knowing I have to disconnect the shift linkage, but I am seeing nowhere to do that in the foot area as JBJ suggested...:confused:

Sitting here infront of the motor on the laptop awaiting your wisdom :)

bradmond

Cadet
Re: 1989 Johnson 20HP "Quick help please! =)"

Hold one hex with one wrench, turn the other with another wrench until they are seperated. Slide the upper half up a little and remove the plastic cone piece, it's split so it will come off. Then slide the upper hex piece off the shift linkage.

read this too..
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=371030

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you,

I just so happened to have found a pdf manual and my motor is in it. This should help.
Thanks Brad!

jbjennings

Captain

Here's a link to a parts diagram of your lower unit:
http://www.crowleymarine.com/brp_parts/diagrams/28235.cfm

Notice part 49 (connector nut) and parts 66, 73, and 48. Those are the parts you'll see inside the plastic intake screens. Didsconnect the connector nut. On the shaft in two places are part #73 (the little black cone-shaped "keepers") that you'll need to remove fron the shaft. These are inside the connector nut so you won't see them unless you undo the nut. I believe there will be an "ah HA" moment when you take the connector nut loose. :) The little black keepers are split--held together by the pressure from the connector nut.

Hope this helps,
JBJ

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Thought I'd mention to hold the bottom portion of the nut stationary with a wrench, and unscrew the upper portion of the nut with another wrench.
Do not let the bottom portion rotate, or the shift linkage length could be changed.

Separate the halves with a needle nose pliers and remove the plastic cone lock collar. It has a split in it that will let it come off the linkage shaft. Hope this helps you.

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks JBJ and Cofe. I almost have it unscrewed. The original owner wasnt lieing. This motor still has the original impeller in it as the nuts have no paint chipped of at all :eek:
Thanks guys. Will report back in a bit!

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Guys,

I have the shaft linkage seperated, but not enough to get the keepers out. Do I need to actually take out the nut part that has all the threads on it on the top part of the shift shaft before lowering the foot? I have the 5 bolts untightened ready to go. Just want to make sure.

jbjennings

Captain

You've got to get the keepers out. If I recall, you should be able to slide the nut up the shaft.
I don't believe you can separate it until the keepers are off. You should be able to leave the nut on and remove the lower unit if I remember correctly.
It's been a few months since I did mine!:)
JBJ

Last edited:

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

The bottom half is the half that has to come off. If there isn't enough room, shift the motor into forward position, and you will have more room.:D

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I cant move the nut up the shaft. but the bottom part of the shaft I moved down to the base, hope I didnt screw up there... well what if I just keep the keepers in and take them out once I take the 5 bolts out and lower the foot a bit? only way I can get the keepers out would be to bend the shaft over and I am definately not going to try and do that!

Thanks for your reply JBJ

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cofe :) you the man.. put her in forward and I have plenty of room now :D

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alright... how the heck do you get these keepers out? I see a slot head screw in the middle of em. Do I have to unscrew these screws to take out the black cone?

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

The plastic cone shaped keepers have a slit running vertically. I use a small flat scew driver to open the split, and then the plastic expands enough to slide off the linkage.

I think the slit on yours has grease covering some of it making it look like a screw slot.

News flash......just looked at mine, the upper half of the nut is the one to remove.......:D

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

The plastic cone shaped keepers have a slit running vertically. I use a small flat scew driver to open the split, and then the plastic expands enough to slide off the linkage.

I think the slit on yours has grease covering some of it making it look like a screw slot.

News flash......just looked at mine, the upper half of the nut is the one to remove.......:D

Ok... well.. I just took off the black keeper on the bottom shaft.... so I should put it back on? I have no idea how I am going to get at the upper one because it is covered by the threaded brass shaft.... Why do these even have to come off? I see them not hindering the foot coming off?