1989 Johnson 20HP

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class
hello again guys :)

I am looking at buying a newer motor. It's an 89 Johnson 20HP short shaft. Couple of questions "may sound like dumb ones :p"

Does the exhaust come out through the center of the prop on this year? are parts easy to get in Canada? the fellow has owned this motor since new, said he put a new carb rebuild kit on it and a brand new prop and it has sat in his garage for the last 3 years unused. Do I need to worry about anything? He said the decals are scratched up on it as he used to stick his boat in his truck and put the motor in the boat on the floor. If I get the motor I would like to put new decals on it. Would any of you know where I could get a set in Canada?

Are these a good trolling motor? I must admit, I will be doing most of my trolling with the Minn Kota, but was wondering how slow of an idle these 20's will get down to? I know Johnsons are probably the best ever made motor "from what I have heard and researched that is ;)" is this specific motor a real good reliable motor? Anything I should be looking at? He said the compression is excellent on it. Probably be picking it up tonight or tomorrow if I have some free time.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: 1989 Johnson 20HP

Just so happens, I have a 25 that is close to the same vintage. Yes, the exhaust is through hub. 9.9 and larger motors all were in those years. If it has sat for a few years, I would consider replacing the impeller in it. I bet that booger will fire up with some fresh gas put in it. Mine has sat for many more years than that and it sprang back to life quickly.

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Right on Zephyr :)

How are these puppies for a slow idle? can they crawl real slow? 50:1 I take it? although I heard 100:1 can be ran in these years? I dont think I would chance such a lean mixture though :eek: more so 80:1 huh?

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can someone help me here.

The seller just got back to me... I am curious, what is the weight of this motor? Original owner told me that he never used it that much as it was heavy, he said it is 110lbs????? I find that hard to believe, said it has the same block as the 50? hmm... this doesnt make sense to me, I could see the 25/30 being the same block....Either way, I am going to see it tomorrow and he is going to run it for me etc. Just all sounds weird to me lol unless he doesnt really know much about motors:cool:

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well by gosh, I guess I just found out for myself.. apparently a 1993 20hp is 130lbs.. wow, I never thought these motors are that heavy.. now I am worried if this motor is going to be to heavy for my 14' tiller peterborough aluminum.. please could someone give me some quick advice :eek:

EDIT:
How can it be that a newer 20 is heavier then a 60's 20 :confused::confused::confused: you all have to forgive me, I am still rather new to boating, had a little 12ft alum and old johnson, but this is my first step into larger fishing boats and motors, so if my questions sound dumb, it is only because I am still learning :) Is this too much motor for a 14' tiller Alum? Just thinking to myself, the weight of this motor, plus me, 175lbs... wont my boat go tits up in the air :confused: Could someone offer me some quick advice, because I have a time I am going to the fellows house tomorrow to look at it and would like to know. My boat is not a deep V haul, but I believe the gunnels on it are rather high and it is wide, and kind of narrows off at the front "picture I just took next post"

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1989 Johnson 20HP "quick help please on last post!"

Re: 1989 Johnson 20HP "quick help please on last post!"

Ok,

It is almost 2 in the morning here, bare with me lol. I just snapped this picture of my boat "please dont flame me for not having a cover on it, I just bought the boat and looking into a cover for it ;)

Will this 89 Johnson 20HP 110lb motor be ok for my boat? Will also be a Minn Kota 30lb thrust motor on the transom as well.
dscf0279d.jpg

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1989 Johnson 20HP "quick help please on second last post!"

Can't really see you picture too well. Does your boat have an aluminum plate riveted to the boat somewhere that would identify the maximum horsepower? From as little as I can see from your picture a 20hp may be pushing the limit for your tiller boat. Another important consideration is the whether you transom size is 15 or 20 inches. If it is 15 inches you will need a short shaft motor. The cavitation plate on the motor needs to be above even with the keel of the boat or a little above the keel.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'd go with a 9.9 or ideally a 15 on that boat.

jasper60103

Commander

I'm kinda of a newbie as well, but I would think a 15hp would make that boat scoot well.
Regardless of what motor you choose though, you'll probably need to plan to move some of the weight forward to improve performance (and I'm dealing with the same issues). Good luck.
-jasper

motor = 110#
troller motor = 30#
battery = 20#
6 gal tank/gas = 8#
you = 175#

Total = 343#

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies guys... hmm

It has a 15" transom. Plate says 10kw and 594KG I believe, so 13.6HP and 1290lbs? I understand I am over the HP rating on the plate, but from what I gather, that is not a legal issue here in Canada, plus I just wrote my boat exam and that was never in any of my study material..

Well gees, I dont know what to do, I am not paying cash for the motor, it is a trade for another item of mine. It is a short shaft 15 inch.

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is 6.4HP over really going to be a massive problem? it is not so much HP that I am worried about, more so the weight of the motor. Ah! I dont know what to do. The old fella that has owned it since new has hardly ran this motor, aside from some scratches on the decals it wasnt used that much ... And I am supposed to be going to his house to see and hear the motor run in the next hour:eek:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I wouldn't use that motor on that boat. You'd be over the rating by a good percentage. But more so that the 20 is usually the smallest HP in a larger engine form factor (read heavier) while the 15 is usually the largest HP in a smaller, lighter form factor. I'd really look for a 9.9 or optimally a 15.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Heck trade for the 20 then sell it! Should be worth a good bit and then buy a 10-15HP.

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd go with a 9.9 or ideally a 15 on that boat.

Ideally, yes you are right, I would love to have a 15, but I got beat to the two of them that I intended on buying one of.

I dont have the money for a brand new motor or even a motor that is a few years old right now. This 20 is a good deal for me as I am trading something I dont use that much for it... ;)

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Heck trade for the 20 then sell it! Should be worth a good bit and then buy a 10-15HP.

That thought has been rolling around in my head the last 15 minutes or so:cool:
15's are RARE up here though...

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

:confused:So if you we're me "honest answer" would you even attempt at all putting this motor on my boat?

I mean, yes I want to be safe, I am all about saftey, but what would happen if this 20 was on my boat? would it tip straight up in the air and sink if I give it some gas:confused: I dont plan on going WOT just fishing.. AH! I dont know what to do here now. I dont want to get a motor I am going to be stuck with... :confused:
But it is the off season, and deals are to be had, prices only go up in the good weather, even further out of my reach :confused:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Oh I hear ya on the price of motors and I completely understand. I just don't think you'll be at all happy out in that boat by yourself sitting in the back with that big tiller. With a buddy it won't be bad.

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

What if I we're to extend my battery cables and put the deep cycle up front, and put the gas tank as far as it will go "probably the middle"? think that would even it out or would I need more weight up front?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nothing dramatic would happen if you tried it out. It will just ride bow high and you won't be happy with it. How heavy a guy are you? Moving as much weight forward as you can is a good idea.

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I went and looked at it. Motor looks better then what he described. It hasnt run in 4 years he said, he put a brand new prop on it and a carb rebuild kit and it has sat ever since. He bought a brand new tank, hose plugs and oil, took it all out of the packages and box etc after we filled up a garbage can full of water to test the motor, only to find that he forgot to buy the brass fitting that screws into the tank to connect the hose:rolleyes:

I took off the crowl and the engine block is white, I thought 89's we're black? I could be wrong, but I cant find any pictures on the internet of an 89 20 johnson other then a video on youtube with the crowl on. Decals appear to be 89, the plate on the transom bracket, it is actually a hard plastic kind of sticker instead of a metal plate, it is white..this sound legit? I printed off a model# chart for years to compare but could not find the number on the list, I think I messed up and it was for lower unit #'s. Motor doesnt seem THAT heavy, hell I was able to lift it and walk it to the other side of his garage and lift it into a garbage can.

I am 175lbs. I am thinking this motor would be ok for my boat? I asked him if he had ever changed the impeller and he said no, it is original :confused: This motor hasnt seen much use I dont think, I pulled it over and it compression felt very tight. Motor block white in 89? Stupid me never wrote down the model number, does someone know what the model# is for this year? from memory I believe it started with a C and ended with an EMJ?

He said he has the original owners manual from when he bought it new in 1990, never seen it though as it was in his house and I had to get back home.