1989 Johnson 20HP

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1989 Johnson 20HP

Well screw that bloody keeper till the mornin, depending how my head feels LOL!
GO CANADA GO! :D:D:D:D

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Guys...

Any tricks on getting the shift linkage piece "the threaded top part" over the keeper? I cant get it over it to finish this job:mad:

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is crazy!

Everything went as planned.. but I can NOT get the darn brass threaded part on the top part of the shaft over the dang keeper! I have tried WD40, voodoo, cursing, you name it :cool::mad:

ETA: Is it possible I put the keepers on the wrong way? I have the most narrow end at the tip of each shaft with the larger round end facing up "on the top shaft".

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

This is crazy!

Everything went as planned.. but I can NOT get the darn brass threaded part on the top part of the shaft over the dang keeper! I have tried WD40, voodoo, cursing, you name it :cool::mad:

ETA: Is it possible I put the keepers on the wrong way? I have the most narrow end at the tip of each shaft with the larger round end facing up "on the top shaft".

hey northwoods, no offense but this is why you should always buy a service manual!:)

I'm sure you've got something simple wrong though I've never had the lower leg apart on that model of outboard. Maybe if you take some pics to show what you are trying to do? Your last pics were very helpful.

Cheers and good luck!

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey northwoods, no offense but this is why you should always buy a service manual!:)

I'm sure you've got something simple wrong though I've never had the lower leg apart on that model of outboard. Maybe if you take some pics to show what you are trying to do? Your last pics were very helpful.

Cheers and good luck!

I do have a manual! :) Does not give me any help on this aspect. Ok, I will take a picture one second, because I am going to break this :mad:

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok,

First image is how far I can get it to go in, second image is the whole keeper exposed "they look bad in the picture because I have some grease on them, so dont let that throw you off "trying anything at this moment :mad:"
Silly keeper:p
And ya, had the pliers slip on me a couple times as you can see, startin to stress me out. I am 98% done the task and this stupid keeper is keeping me from completing it!

dscf0311.jpg

dscf0314.jpg

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Are you trying to slide the threaded portion down over top of the keeper? If so can you get in there and grasp the nut with vice-grips or a wrench? Needle nose probably wont give you enough force.

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are you trying to slide the threaded portion down over top of the keeper? If so can you get in there and grasp the nut with vice-grips or a wrench? Needle nose probably wont give you enough force.

Yes, that is what I am trying to do. Vice grips are to big to get in there. I dont know what to do :redface: getting frustrated.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

I dunno..maybe the keeper has become misshaped and won't fit now. It looks as though it is bulging out a bit. If I were you I'd slide the threaded portion back up and take a look at the rubber keeper. If it still looks useable then try again. Otherwise you may need to replace it.

You may need another tool that will allow you to apply enough force to get it set properly. I'd try gripping it around the nut and twisting back and forth while applying downward pressure.

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok... so I didnt get it.. the keeper popped over the shaft end :( what the heck....

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

lol..

well... I tried to turn the keeper around so the buldged end is at the tip, it went in that way.. the keeper is worn now from me taking it off and on so many times, it has a gap, will this cause a problem? it is back together and I have it threaded together a couple of threads. What do you think? think ill be ok with it turned around like that and it having a gap? "which I am sure is compressed now being in there"

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think it will be ok, the lower shift rod goes up and down when I shift it ;)
Alrighty, going to get that tight and fill up the gear oil :)

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

all done with new johnson synthetic gear oil installed :)

guess I wont know if it works till spring :D

jbjennings

Captain

Aaarrghhh! I missed out on the fix!
I'll be danged if I'm going to wait until Canadian spring rolls around to see if it will run and pump water!! Wait until the wife goes shopping and fire it up in a good trashcan of water in the living room. If the wife smells 2-stroke smoke, just tell her you dropped a candle on the carpet and it caught fire a little. She should thank goodness you had the trashcan of water handy to use to fight the fire with.:);)
Good luck,
JBJ

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

LMAO!!!!!

That is the funniest thing I have heard all year AHA!

<----- no wife though :D
PS
Around 4 more weeks until things are nice here I am thinkin :)

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey guys :)

Nope, I still have yet to test out the motor with the new water pump kit installed, but I was curious while I wait for things to warm up to turn the water on and got to thinking. Is there an optional electric start for my motor? If so, how would one go about finding one, and is it a big P.I.T.A to install yet even find a "kit" if there is one for my motor at all?

Also, what about OEM or very close to it, crowl decals if I decide to paint it all?