1989 Johnson 20HP

jbjennings

Captain
Re: 1989 Johnson 20HP "So I went and checked it out and..."

Aw heck, I'd get the 20 if it were ME. I wouldn't go WOT with just me in the boat, especially in a wind. THat boat will really haul tail and get squirrelly with a 20hp on it. A 20hp OMC is a good motor. IT is absurd that it has a 50hp block . BUt possibly the same block as up to a 35hp motor.
They are good idling motors, as good as anything of that hp range.
CHange the impeller!​
The weight of that motor shouldn't be a huge problem, but as said put the battery and tank up front. It will keep the bow down, and provide some stability from cross winds when on plane. You should also look at the transom and see if it is ABLE to stand the torque of a 20hp motor. If not, that motor will eventually pull apart the transom corners. Post a daytime pic of the inside of the transom if you can.
Just for liabilities sake, I'm not suggesting you get it!:p
BTW, I'm almost absolutely certain that the motor should be WHITE!!!!
JBJ

Last edited:

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks JB :)

I will run outside and go take some pictures right now before it is to dark outside and upload them!

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok here are some pictures. "Yes, I know, the trailer is hurtin :p", it is an roller trailer from 66 I basically got for nothing from a friend and I am going to be putting new lights on it and building some bunks for it in the spring, so it is just kind of sitting on there for the time being. The seams seem to be welded on the corners, hope these pictures are good enough.
PS, yes, a new coat of paint inside the boat and better seats will be put on the boat this spring as well :) Think she'll be ok with that 20?
PS
Is this what you would call a deep and wide?

dscf0283.jpg

dscf0285.jpg

dscf0282q.jpg

dscf0284q.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Actually that boat looks a little more substantial to me than I originally thought. Might not be too bad. And you don't weigh much :D

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

ya? well that is good news :)

Have to forgive me, I am still learning here :) I guess the snow in the boat kind of throws things off a bit as to it's depth, it is deeper. Would you call this a deep and wide? what measurements make a tiller a deep and wide?

Ah well that is just great news, made my night to know my boat is a strong one :)

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I had a 1958 18 hp on a 14 ft mirrorcraft and it was fine...nice and fast...

If it were me Id also have no hesitation on putting that motor on that boat!!!

you will find out soon enough if you really need to shift the battery and gas tank up front...

and most tiller boats cause that high bow anyway...

whats the difference if you at 175 lbs runs that HEAVY 20 hp or I 235 lbs run a 30 lb lighter 15 hp on the back???

this is silly....we are not taking ripping the transom apart HP here!!

nice super clean motor, you should get it..

bob

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Awesome :)

ya, the HP was not what was worrying me, it was the weight of the motor. I really dont plan on doing much WOT because most of the lakes I fish are small lakes to begin with.

It is a pretty clean motor, has some scratches on the decals and a few chips of paint missing on the foot, but other then that, she's pretty nice lookin and it has a brand spankin new prop on it to boot!

I am sure if I could have heard it run today I would have it infront of me right now ;)
This weekend I should have her. Thank you very much guys. I was scared there and almost backed out last night.
PS
You think my boat is to narrow for a small casting deck or a floor?

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think you should get it. I have a 14' Aluminum and have had a '73 25hp on it. Just have common sense or you will have an accident. Make sure you check the transom height, pic looks like it IS for a short shaft. One thing to consider: I no longer have the 25 hp on the boat because of THE WEIGHT and Trailering. Unless you tie it down Real Good and have a Real Good transom, it may cause you problems when towing. I actually lost my rig on a 4 lane highway during rush hour because of this. That weight made it gain slack in the winch line and somehow LOST IT! Very little damage, blocked traffic for 15 minutes, three great people helped me load it back up. Oh yeah, my cowl got scratched up too!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

While I am not one to recommend overpowering any boat, legal and moral issues enter the picture. While it may not be illegal to overpower the boat, if you are involved in an accident, especially one involving personal injury, I'm sure lawyers in Canada are not differnt than those we have in the lower 48. They will go after you. That said, if those issues are of no concern to you, then the 20 HP will be fine provided you understand that just because you have 20 HP does not mean you have to use it. Because of the weight, it does mean you will likely have to redistribute the weight in the boat. Gas tank up front perhaps or at least in the middle. If this motor is electric start you will need one or two batteries (one start, and one deep cycle for the troller) so that creates a weight issue as well.

As for trolling, you should be fine. If you can't troll slow enough, back troll. Very effective with a tiller steered motor. The prop in reverse becomes very ineffective so speed can be very slow.

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I totally hear you. I am sure the advice you are offering me is sound. I am a responseable adult :) I dont plan on racing the boat or goofing off. I might open it up on a big lake here on a calm day just to see what it can do :p But other then that 99.9% will be fishing. I plan to try out this new Minn Kota Endura 30 I picked up exactly for that "back trolling" and in shallower water. The Johnson will basically get me from point A to point B and maybe the odd cruise depending how she handles. I never had this boat on the water, actually bought it off of a police officer :cool: :p

It does not have electric start, so I will have the deep cycle for the MinnKota up at the very tip of the boat where the front seat is where you feet would go "that sound like a doable good spot ?" and the gas tank in the middle if I can get it to reach that far. Ya, I mainly only intend to fish small lakes. I live up in Northeastern Ontario Canada, and that is mainly all it is here, lots and lots of small lakes and a few are pretty big but most are not huge, I dont think I would ever risk back trolling with the Johnson or any gas motor for that matter becasue of hidden logs and rock caves etc in pickerel/pike lakes :D

Opinion on something guys.. Do you think this boat would be stable with a shallow floor with 2, possibly 3 swivel post seats? I would love to make this boat a nice fishing boat, but if not and you think it may be tippy I am happy with what I have with maybe a newer drivers seat and maybe another up front. I just got the boat about two weeks ago, and as you see, with a garage with no room, there is no chance of me working on it this time of year.;)

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello good folks :)

Was wondering if I could quickly pick someone's brain's for a sec. I got the guy to get me the model # and ser # off of the transom mount and mode # is CJ 20C ACEM ser#C 82484** Could someone confirm for me that this is an 89 that he claims it is. I am cant find that # from a quick search from google, was hoping someone that own's one or know's that has worked on one, might be able to confirm for me that it is a 1989 Johnson 20 hp.
Cheers
:cool:

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

apparently the "CE" portion identifies it as a 1989 model.

but the closest model on the shopevinrude.com site i could find is:

TJ20CR CEM

good luck

bob

jbjennings

Captain

http://www.crowleymarine.com/parts.cfm

I'm thinking the A in your serial number is actually an R.

I personally think condition is far more important than age, anyway.

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alright cool.

So nobody really knows what the other letters and what not mean... unless he messed up writing it down and he needs better glasses? lol

Well he is bringing it to my place tomorrow and we're going to hang it on the back of my boat and put a bucket under it and fire er up so I can hear it run and test forward and reverse etc. then if all is well it'll be going down into my heated basement or up stairs in my apt in my spare room to admire on the off season :p heavy lil booger I tell ya, much heavier then the 65 18Hp Johnson I have now that is for sure.:cool:
What would a motor like this be valued at in the on-season with a new prop on it?

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Alright cool.
What would a motor like this be valued at in the on-season with a new prop on it?

In excellent condition in my market about $1000. In fair condition about $600 to $750. Poor condition $100 - $300.

Those are Canadian dollars mind you...

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh it's in good shape physically, aside from a few scratches in the decals on the crowl and a small dent in the foot. I would say it is in excellent condition. Probably an 7 or 8 out of 10 there, just wanted to know because I am trading a 40" Samsung LCD I paid 1149 for last fall. Also gettin a brand spankin new tank, hose and brass fitting as well as plugs for it seen it with my own eyes unboxed/unplackaged before me lol.

Good deal you think? dont really use it, only on my gaming computer which I dont really use that much.:cool: "waste of money on my part vs useage I guess lol"

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Oh it's in good shape physically, aside from a few scratches in the decals on the crowl and a small dent in the foot. I would say it is in excellent condition. Probably an 7 or 8 out of 10 there, just wanted to know because I am trading a 40" Samsung LCD I paid 1149 for last fall. Also gettin a brand spankin new tank, hose and brass fitting as well as plugs for it seen it with my own eyes unboxed/unplackaged before me lol.

Good deal you think? dont really use it, only on my gaming computer which I dont really use that much.:cool: "waste of money on my part vs useage I guess lol"

hmm..well I wouldn't say it's a GREAT deal..the tank, hose and fitting is only worth about 100 bucks brand new from a local dealer here. Plugs are about 4 bucks a piece. All depends what that TV is worth to you.

I'd place the off-season value in the 750 dollar range if it's really in great shape.

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya. well he was asking 800obo just for the motor, I made him buy the tank hose and fitting :p never asked for a new set of plugs though "their champions too, from what I saw from a distance, which I understand are the recommended brand in these motors? Hard to find much info on this motor on the net for the year, Need an an OEM manual for sure. Replacing the impeller requires removing the foot from the lower unit right? "never done one before":cool: I will observe tomorrow how well it pee's :) and try forward and reverse. Say's it hasnt ran in 4 years :confused: so should I expect it to idle well or run like sneeze? He says it runs well.. and I am sure it does if he went to the extent of getting me the means to make it run eh?
I dont have a compression tester, but it had lots tryin to pull it over, the rope had a slacky return kind of feel to it? "perhaps from not being used that much???" or is that a sign the spring needs replacing? I dont know, I never fully cranked it over, just slowly.
PS
I would love to get some of that seafoam, I heard that stuff works pretty well.

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

And I was meaning, how much do you think it would fetch in the spring/summer season :p
ETA: Oh and I am a Canuck as well :p "Northeastern Ontario Canada" so I know the motor likely hasnt seen much lengthy WOT use as most lakes you need to troll or be careful and watch out for hidden logs etc.

ALSO, is it normal for 2 stroke outboards to get an oily/dirt residue on the block of the power head if you arnt anal about cleaning through out time?? Just wondering because the older 65 I have I just picked up has the same on the block. When I popped the crowl off of the 89 20 that I looked at, I noticed a thin oil/dirt residue. Is that normal? or could that mean bad crank seals or something bad?
But likely just from not cleaning right?:confused: sorry if that sounds like a dumb one :p

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

yep, it will definitely appreciate in value as the season starts.

Replacing the impeller requires removing the foot from the lower unit right?
Yes, you need to remove the lower leg to change the impeller, it's an easy job. lots of info on this site on how to do it.

Say's it hasnt ran in 4 years so should I expect it to idle well or run like sneeze?
With fresh gas and plugs it should run fine after it warms up.

I dont have a compression tester, but it had lots tryin to pull it over

Welcome fellow canuck..pick up a compression tester from canadian tire..less than 50 bucks usually. Might save you an 800 dollar mistake!:)

When I popped the crowl off of the 89 20 that I looked at, I noticed a thin oil/dirt residue. Is that normal?

hmm..I dunno. It is normal for 2-strokes to get dirty legs from the exaust but not really on the powerhead. It could be from the foggin oil when it was last winterized but i'm not sure. Definitely should not have oil dripping down anywhere under the cowl.

I would love to get some of that seafoam, I heard that stuff works pretty well

I've never used seafoam but other's here swear by it.