1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

Hopefully you and yours are having a Big Ol Texas Christmas this year Decker !!
Merry Christmas !

Decker83

Commander

Happy New Year..

jbcurt00

Staff member

Happy new year to you & yours!

BigLee324

Petty Officer 3rd Class

my deckboat has OMC stuff on it , so if you don't keep it, maybe 2 can make 1 with parts to spare.

BigLee324

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Decker, I too just had my first holidays since loosing my Mom in April, I was sorry to read of your loss, I've been without a PC for some time so I'm getting caught up.

Decker83

Commander

my deckboat has OMC stuff on it , so if you don't keep it, maybe 2 can make 1 with parts to spare.

Not sure what kind of shape the motor or stringer drive is in.. When I get a chance to pull the engine and drive I will go from there..

Decker, I too just had my first holidays since loosing my Mom in April, I was sorry to read of your loss, I've been without a PC for some time so I'm getting caught up.

I am very sorry to hear of your loss.. It is very hard to lose your mother.. My prayers or with with you and your family..

Decker83

Commander

I tried to take advantage of the warmer days we've been having here in TX. A few days hit 70..
I was able to get the last roller on and all the bunks in place..
Put some plastic around the hull to help protect it..

Used the DA with 80 grit and scuffed up the buldheads and the port and starboard rails and the fuel cell..
Put some 3m 5200 around the raceway where in penetrated the bulkheads..

Bought 5 pieces of 2x6x8' and rounded all four corners with the router and 1/2" round over bit..
Heated the resin with a couple of halogen lights.. This took some time but it did work..
Put one layer of 1.5 csm over all 5 pieces of 2x6..

The 2x6 will be cut to fit between the bulkheads on the starboard and port sides.. Will use screws to mount them in place and then
fiberglass over them and all of the top 2x2's on the bulkheads.. Will have to wait for another warm day to do the glass work..

Hope everyone is having a good weekend..

Really feel sorry for you up north.. That is some terrible weather your having..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Wooo Hoooo ! Back in action ! :whoo:
Glad the weather was cooperating for a while !

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yeah, boat work!

Thanks for the warm weather boat work pix. There will be none of that round these parts for a good long bit..............

Decker83

Commander

Thanks SP and JBC.. The weather didn't hold out for today.. It was 26 this morning and will be 18 Monday morning.. Not nearly as bad as up north.. Have a great week..

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yeah, it'll be 24-5F on my way to work tomorrow, falling to 5F by lunch :blue: :cold:

Have a good week

Decker83

Commander

We had another beautiful weekend here.. Yesterday it was in the upper 60's and today it was 72.. Did some more work on the boat.. Was able to cut the 2x6's and put between all the bulkheads.. Sealed all the end cuts with some really thin PB.. Then pre drilled the screw holes for the outside of the hull and used 3m 5200 to seal the screws.. After screwing all the 2x6's in place I mixed up more PB and filled in the radius on the 2x6 and the rails on the port and starboard side.. Also put 2x6's down each side of the fuel cell box.. I thought I would get more done this weekend, but I always let my alligator brain over load my hummingbird butt.. Here is a couple of pic's...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Decker when the big flood comes I want to be in your boat . Looks like she could survive a tsunami ! :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The Decker MasterPiece!!!! It looks like it won't be long and the Deck will be going down!!! I'm looking forward to seeing the superstructure take shape!!!

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Decker your work is inspiring. :hail:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Now, that there is one stringer system that deserves to be lit up like a disco dance floor with like a million LED lights and have a plexiglas deck put on top...a real work of art and craftsmanship...absolutely BEEEE-u-Ti-Ful!!!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Looks great. Excellent work.

Decker83

Commander

Decker when the big flood comes I want to be in your boat . Looks like she could survive a tsunami ! :)
Thanks SP.. Hope I don't see the big flood to soon..
The Decker MasterPiece!!!! It looks like it won't be long and the Deck will be going down!!! I'm looking forward to seeing the superstructure take shape!!!
Hope I can start cutting some decking this weekend..
Decker your work is inspiring. :hail:
Thank you Saginawbayboater.. Your doing great with yours too..
Now, that there is one stringer system that deserves to be lit up like a disco dance floor with like a million LED lights and have a plexiglas deck put on top...a real work of art and craftsmanship...absolutely BEEEE-u-Ti-Ful!!!
Thanks GT1M That would be cool if I could do that.. I would also like to put in a glass bottom and be able to see the bottom of the lake..
Looks great. Excellent work.
Thnks JBC.. Just trying to keep up with you..

Last edited:

Decker83

Commander

Did some good ole grinding today.. Nothing exciting, but I sure did like putting on the zoot suit again.. Man its be a while..:eek: Put down some glass today but no pics.. BTW is anyone else having problems when pressing the enter key and not being able to go to the next line.. Or is it just me..:facepalm:

Decker83

Commander

No good news on updates for the boat.. Last weekend had good weather but I was down.. This weekend weather is going to be wet and cold..:blue:

Had to do something today that I really hated to do.. Took my dog of 18 years to the vet.. Vet said he had cancer and the Admiral and I had to put him down this morning.. It was heart breaking to watch my wife.. This is like losing part of the family..
It was the best thing we could do for him, but was really hard..