1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

Decker83

Commander
Re: 1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

Very happy to see the awesome progress...:D

Thanks GT1M.. Not real fast, but a step further..

She's really starting to look like something now!!!!

Don't have it all glassed or screwed down, but it does look a little closer..

springaroundthecorner.jpg

I've been bouncing on the spring all weekend and still can't get it around that confounded corner..

nice progress, now more then ever, it looks like a carrier deck:
100_2995.jpg

Lot of real estate ya got there ^^^

Thanks jbcurt00, It does look big, but I still have to put the cap back on and the console.. That will take up some of the space..

So glad to see you back at it Decker!

I got to tell you I spent 3 or 4 nights reading every post to this thread, and I like others are just simply amazed at all the detail and hard work you have put into this restoration. Your glass work and finishing skills are fabulous!

I can only hope mine turns out half as nice as yours!

Again, glad to see some more progress on it!

Thanks for your kind words and encouragement Mud Puppy.. Looking at your thread, I think you have it all down..

Man you could land a helicopter on that deck ! All good stuff !
What will the 2 batteries in front of the console be used for ?

Hey SP.. Don't know about a helicopter, but I hope I can land the Admiral on it.. (LOL)
The 2 batteries will run the 24 volt trolling motor and other lights and such.. May give jasoutside a PM and see if he can help..

Deck:

Glad to see the dance floor on this rig... Looking good. Keep plugging away!

Trying to keep this old man busy.. Not kicking as high on the dance floor as I use to..

Decker, that is a deck!! :high5::high5: Nice update Kent!!!

Thanks Saginawbayboater..

JB has it...looks like a carrier...hige deck, and looks fantastic!

Thanks Trooper, Been looking forward to see some updates on your thread.. I guess old man winter is slowing everything down.

May Favorite Plane on My Favorite Deck!!!!!

Very nice plane WOG..

Wood, with the way Decker has put this back together, sure hope it doesn't take the engine out of that 'Stang to push it. One thing for sure, Decker will be using it for a long, long time!

This may be what you have to use in it Decker.

QE-aircraft-carriers-propulsion-motor.jpg

If I could put that engine in my boat it would be on a ship and I would be on a cruise, For Sure..

Decker83

Commander

No real updates on the tank this weekend.. Yesterday was wet and a little cold..
I did order some 1.5 fuel line from Defender.. It is made to make tight turns without kinking..

Have a question for anyone that has used the Nautolex vinyl flooring.. I ordered a sample and Defender sent a me card showing all the
colors they have..

Now my questing is, How thick is the vinyl??? My sample is no more than a 1/16" +/-.. Is this as thick as it gets???
Hope someone who has used it will answer this for me..

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

PM JigNGrub, I think his hide is covered w/ Nautolex. :watermelon:

The manufacturer doesn't even list it's thickness in the Nautolex specifications.:confused:

Others have used it, but w/ out checking Jig would be the 1st one to know how thick w/out having to look.....

Decker83

Commander

Thanks for the reply jbc..

Will give JigNGrub a shout..

From what I could find, the specs say it weight is 51oz per yard. 72x36. I saw something about .045 thickness.. Hope not..:eek:

jbcurt00

Staff member

I was thinking 3/16" +/- but don't know why I'd think that :sleeping:

NO WAY it's 0.045" That's not even 1/16".... Nautolex does sell an underlayment product too. That might be 0.045"....

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

1/16" thick is about all the Nautolex thickness is, but it is very tough and durable after installation.

The bad thing about Nautolex or any vinyl installed on a fiberglass boat is that the edges and butt joints have to be held in place with a continuous wooden or metal strip. If it is installed without a continuous strip to hold it down it will lift and curl at the edges and joints.

When installing the vinyl in an aluminum boat we wrap the vinyl around the edges and back of the deck panels before installation and this secures all of the edges to keep it from curling.

Done right (the way I know Decker would do it), the edge and joint trim is actually attractive but some people don't care for the looks of it or the extra time and expense it takes to install it.

.045 is the industry standard thickness for decking vinyl, there are 2 other brands that come to mind... Marideck (@ Bass Pro shops) and Dorsett (@ Cabelas) and they are both .045" thick also.

Last edited:

Decker83

Commander

Thanks for the information ^^^ jigngrub.. I don't think I've seen this anywhere..

I don't think I would have a problem the edges curling after putting the cap over it. I would have 2 seams that I would have to deal with.

With the vinyl being so thin, I'm not sure how well it will hide any plywood seams.. May have to do some fairing on the deck to make it
look right..

Have a great week everyone..:lol:

Decker83

Commander

Has anyone used the new Marideck's 80 mil vinyl flooring?

There web site says it's 1/8" thick..

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

With the vinyl being so thin, I'm not sure how well it will hide any plywood seams..

I threw some fiberglass cloth and epoxy on my seams. Worked perfectly under my Nautolex deck.

Decker83

Commander

I threw some fiberglass cloth and epoxy on my seams. Worked perfectly under my Nautolex deck.

I plan on wrapping csm and resin on all 4 edges before I glass the flat sheets of ply.. This will cause a slight rise on the edges on the flat side of the ply..
Using the Nautolex vinyl I would really need to do some fairing on that large deck for it not to show up..

Order some samples of the 80 mil from Maridecks web site last night.. Received a email from them today saying it's on its way..

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

The better the deck looks before you put the vinyl down, the better it will look after the vinyl is installed. I would fair the glass seams before putting down either vinyl product. I would prep the deck as though I was going to paint it.

With that being said, I was surprised at how much the pebble grain of the nautolex hid some slight imperfections on my decking, mainly a little bit of "wavy gravy" from mechanically sanding off the old carpet glue from the decking I reused.

Decker83

Commander

The better the deck looks before you put the vinyl down, the better it will look after the vinyl is installed. I would fair the glass seams before putting down either vinyl product. I would prep the deck as though I was going to paint it.

Definitely sounds like the right plan..
Thanks Jig.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If the Marideck truly is 1/8" thick, it's gunna take a pretty big imperfection for it to "Bleed" thru that thick of material. It should hide plywood and CSM seams very effectively. Make sure and post some pics of that stuff!!!

Decker83

Commander

If the Marideck truly is 1/8" thick, it's gunna take a pretty big imperfection for it to "Bleed" thru that thick of material. It should hide plywood and CSM seams very effectively. Make sure and post some pics of that stuff!!!

I will get some pics of it as soon as I can. I would think it should hide more and be softer on the feet..
Have a great weekend WOG..

... and you can get that stuff in 8.5' sheets that don't require joints/seams from here:

MariDeck 80mil <b>Heavy Duty</b> Flooring

Thanks again jig.. I did take a look there last night.. I also found www.restorepontoon.com also and they have 3 colors..
I'm not to crazy about the colors but I do like the thickness..:eek:hwell:

Last edited:

Decker83

Commander

No work today.. It rained most of the day.. We desperately need the rains here..

Did get the samples of the Marideck Vinyl.. The 80 mil is 1/8" thick.. The color is not to bad..
Also received a 30 oz sample and it seemed to be thicker than the Nautolex sample I have..

Need to find out what glue to use.. Not going to pay $75.00 a gallon that will only cover 50 to 60 sq ft..

Here are some of the pics..

Have a great Sunday..:D

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

The Marideck looks nice and thick...
I like the lighter colored "sand" since the heat down here is not friendly to darker colors...;)
I am going to have to check it out for myself, as I am still undecided as to what I am going to top off my decks with...
I do have to agree with J-n-G...even though that material is pretty thick, if you don't fair the deck as though you were going to paint it...eventually, the heat and wear will make any material become a reflection of the surface it is attached to...
Have an awesome Sunday, Decker!:D

Decker83

Commander

The Marideck looks nice and thick...
I like the lighter colored "sand" since the heat down here is not friendly to darker colors...;)
I am going to have to check it out for myself, as I am still undecided as to what I am going to top off my decks with...
I do have to agree with J-n-G...even though that material is pretty thick, if you don't fair the deck as though you were going to paint it...eventually, the heat and wear will make any material become a reflection of the surface it is attached to...
Have an awesome Sunday, Decker!:D

The sample colors are a lot darker in the pics I posted..
I am not sure what I'm going to use yet..
My plywood is really smooth and no voids in it.. Just worried about the seams.. With all the hull sanding, I think the fairing on the deck wont be to much of a problem..:facepalm:

Maybe these pics will be a little closer in color..:noidea:

Last edited:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Thanks for re-posting the pics...the colors do look lighter...
Yeah, that's what I would worry most about, anything on the deck that isn't a smooth transition...if there is any "step" between the sections of decking, that would tend to show through with time...if it is just a smooth, level transition, I don't foresee that as any problem...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

That is some nice lookin stuff. I'd reckon you'd want to wait and install it on a real warm day. I'm kinda partial to the Granite!