1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

Congrats on the 28! Is that the fiberglassing supplies or sanding equipment gift year? :eek:

No matter, I suspect the Admiral would be choosing from column C: None of the above :facepalm:

Good to 'hear' the hull is nearly done. But of course, we'll have to wait & see ;)

Have a great week...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Happy Anniversary to you and the Mrs !!!
It,s amazing how all our wives put up with us !LOL!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

My Admiral and I celebrated our 40th on the 13th. Congrats to you and yours.

agcanniversary3.gif

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Congratulations on your 28th!

agcanniversary7.gif

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Congrats on the anniversary and the boat progress.

Sea ya...

Decker83

Commander

I understand the need for a break when sanding...i'm sure ou have it looking awesome!

Yeah I needed the break, was getting burned out and I needed to get motivated again. Watching you and the other gentlemen here has helped.

Congrats on the 28! Is that the fiberglassing supplies or sanding equipment gift year? :eek:

No matter, I suspect the Admiral would be choosing from column C: None of the above :facepalm:

Good to 'hear' the hull is nearly done. But of course, we'll have to wait & see ;)

Have a great week...

I think the Admiral has given up on the supply list and cost. She thinks I'm out of control. I keep telling her without grinding and sanding on a glass boat you can't get anything done. And then whatever you grind down has to be replaced with new glass and resin and of course more grinding and sanding. (lol) Thanks for the congrats.

Happy Anniversary to you and the Mrs !!!
It,s amazing how all our wives put up with us !LOL!

Yeah, I'm surprised mine stayed with me this long after all the crazy things I've done over the 28 years. She must have a great big sence of humor to be able to put up with me.

My Admiral and I celebrated our 40th on the 13th. Congrats to you and yours.

agcanniversary3.gif

Thanks Wood. We're almost on the same day. Hope I can keep mine with me for that long. Congrats to you my friend on your 40th.
I did have one really special anniversary about 7 years ago. My youngest daughter had her first baby boy on that anniversary. That was a really great one for me and the Admiral.

Congratulations on your 28th!

agcanniversary7.gif

Thanks GT1M. It was a long time coming. Hope I can do 28 more with her.

Congrats on the anniversary and the boat progress.
Thanks CaptainKickback, Been watching all your great work over at your thread. Like what you have done on the transom. Hope the new compressor works for you.
Sea ya...

Decker83

Commander

Did alittle work this week and have some new pics. Not much to show.
Pic of the keel.
100_2536.jpg

Pic of the sanded down hull,
100_2533.jpg

Closer pic of the sanded hull. I didn't get a chance to clean it all down but the hull is smooth all the way down. About 20 hrs work or more.
100_2534.jpg

Had to fix 2 place's on the other side, I used some filler here and will get this all done this weekend.
100_2532.jpg

100_2531.jpg

Will need some more work on the keel to fill in some low spots.
Have a good Friday Gentlemen.

Trooper82

Commander

Good to see you back at it Decker.....work looks awesome like always...have a great weekend!

Decker83

Commander

Thanks Trooper. Good to be back. Just a little more motived now.

Decker83

Commander

Good eveing Gentlemen.

Had a good long hard weekend. Got lots of thinks done.
I didn't think I was ever going to say this but I think I'm ready for the Gel Coat. :D

Sanded the whole boat with the DA and 80 grit. Need to take out the bow eye but thats no biggie.
Have to get my spray gun ready and make sure I have a few extra supply lines for it just in case the gel sets up to fast.
Going to use a binks spray gun and a 1/2 presure pot. Have to check the gun to see witch model it is. Been a long time since I have used it.

Have a few pics of the hull after I cleaned it.

100_2541.jpg

100_2540.jpg

100_2538.jpg

100_2537.jpg

Hull turned out fairly well from what it did look like in post #286 ( I think that's the post)
The sides have a few waves in them but it's looks ok to me.

Hope everyone had a good weekend and a better week to come.

Trooper82

Commander

Congrats!! glad you got the hull ready..looking good, but I'm guessing this means you are really only half way done with the sanding...but I'm guessing it will go faster from here on out.....

jbcurt00

Staff member

Hull looks amazing, add where you started & man, great & amazing! ;)

Decker83

Commander

Congrats!! glad you got the hull ready..looking good, but I'm guessing this means you are really only half way done with the sanding...but I'm guessing it will go faster from here on out.....

Still a long ways to go, but it is so nice to be at this stage.

Hull looks amazing, add where you started & man, great & amazing! ;)

Thanks jbc. Took alot of fairing and glassing and 2 boxes of 50 sheets each 36 grit sand paper but I finally made it.
Now for some real fun. See if I can gel coat this tank.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hull looks very nice. Do you have any Pin Holes? I'm gunna watch with GREAT interest as you do the Gelcoating. Post some pics of your spray setup. What size tip/nozzle you using? Will you have help to watch the time and to assist in the Acetone cleaning when the time comes? I would think that would almost be mandatory. Refresh my memory, what Gelcoat brand did you go with? How much are you calculating to get the job done? How many coats are you planning on shooting? Man, do I have a lot of questions or what!!!!:eek::p:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Dood, she is a big tank!

All the best on the next phase:)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I,m with WOG .. This will be fun to watch ! I know it will turn out great ! I need to learn something just in case ...:rolleyes: :)

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Wow Decker that has been some serious labor. She looks awesome!!! Good work mate.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Amazing and beautiful...gonna put my sloppy little slathering of paint to shame, once that baby is all gelled...way to go!:D

D

Deleted member 340796

Very nice work Decker. I remember that stage seemed to take for ever for me, but I did not have near the work you did. Your arms probably felt like they would fall off. Keep up the great work, looking forward to seeing the next steps. Awesome flip.

Decker83

Commander

Hull looks very nice. Do you have any Pin Holes? I'm gunna watch with GREAT interest as you do the Gelcoating. Post some pics of your spray setup. What size tip/nozzle you using? Will you have help to watch the time and to assist in the Acetone cleaning when the time comes? I would think that would almost be mandatory. Refresh my memory, what Gelcoat brand did you go with? How much are you calculating to get the job done? How many coats are you planning on shooting? Man, do I have a lot of questions or what!!!!

I'll try and answer all your question. I didn't find any pin holes I think I sanded them all out. Have to get the spray gun ready and cleaned. I have 2 old guns, 1 is a Devilbiss cm-501 and the other is a Sharpe 75. Can't seam to find out much on the Devilbiss. Think it has a small tip. I used it to spray gel on a old skeeter I had and it seamed to work good. Going to try out both of them before I decide.
With the pressure pot set at 50 psi it will blow alot of material.
Probably will get my son in law to help with the spraying. Not as fast as I used to be. I think I'll start out with 5 gallon pail and will use a local supplier. I am going to have a long talk with the gel expert at thier place. See what he recomends. Have bought my resin there with no problems. I hope to get at least 2 coats on. First without wax or the pvp. Second with wax or pvp. Need to talk with YD.
Hope I got all of them. Thanks WOG

Dood, she is a big tank!

All the best on the next phase:)

Glad to see you make it here. Thanks for the Kudoos in the other post. Couple of gents here said I should launch planes off of her.

I,m with WOG .. This will be fun to watch ! I know it will turn out great ! I need to learn something just in case ...:rolleyes: :)

Thanks shelps, hope I don't go and gel coat the backyard. I'm a little nervous about all of this.

Wow Decker that has been some serious labor. She looks awesome!!! Good work mate.

Thanks saginawbayboater, It has been a long summer of sanding and fairing and sanding and glassing. I just hope it pays off.

Amazing and beautiful...gonna put my sloppy little slathering of paint to shame, once that baby is all gelled...way to go!:D

GT1M, Thanks for the kind words, but there is no way on i-boats that your work is sloppy. Dude you have broke the bar for painted hulls. Can't wait to see your finnished boat splashed.