1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

Decker83

Commander
Re: 1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

Not a problem on any delay. A good answer is always worth the wait.
Thanks for the info. I will do some research for Poly additives.
Thanks for the PSI info too. Didn't think to ask about that.

Decker83

Commander

Did some checking with my resource for the gel and they told me thier gel was not a marine grade. :eek:
I guess I'll try us compsites for the gel Unless someone knows of another place to get it.
Always has to be something to mess up.:facepalm:
Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Decker83

Commander

I was on thier website today. I have read alot about Duratec on i-boats and other places.
Don't think I would go 1:1 with it.
Just wonder how well it will work with other gels. Fibreglast prices or on the high side for the gel.

Alot of the gel coat sites I have looked at are saying I should spray the gel between 16 to 20 mils thick in one application or it will nor cure right. Most of them say you can spray thier products up to 20 mils without sagging.

Weather is going to be to cold here to do any type of testing or touch up work this weekend so I'll just try and get the yard cleaned up
and get a table setup closer to the boat.

Thanks for the links WOG.:D

Trooper82

Commander

Brrr here too :( I'm thinking I read some stuff from YD saying not to use Duratec....let me see if I can find it, if I do I'll come back and post the link....

Edit: Decker, you were right, it was ondarvr, not YD....link

Decker83

Commander

Thanks Troop. I know that ondarvr has said not to use any type of additives. He has said many times here and other forums that it will degrade the gel coat and it will not hold up as well from UVrays and can chalk faster.

There are as many opinions here about spraying gel as there are threads. :facepalm:
YD said I might use MEK, Acetone and Styrene/MEK mix. He should know about the gel, He does it for a living.
Just going to do some testing for myself and see what works.

I do seam to remember something about odarvr saying if you do need to use a additive that Duratec was a good product.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey decker. I haven't used Duratec, but have a negative impression in my mind because it seems a lot of iboaters don't like it. It almost seems they either love it or hate it.

Two coats of 15 to 20 mils would match up to the 35 to 40, sanding back to 30, that I mentioned in a previous post. So, makes sense.

Good luck.

Sea ya...

Decker83

Commander

Yeah, that's what I keep thinking CK, Hate it or love it.
I havn't done enough gel coating to even begin to know.
The first boat I did back 25yrs ago, I didn't know anything. Just went to a swiming pool factory and bought the gel and the guy told me to spray it and get a good orange peel then sand it all down.
Guess I was lucky then because it all worked out and polished out nice. Still have the old boat today.

Decker83

Commander

Thanks WOG, That was a very good thread to read.

http://www.ccponline.com/composites/gel_coats.php?submenuheader=0#

This is the best stuff I have found...

970x900

The D-Tech is still up for debate. I have only used that additive for "thin" gelcoat repairs that need special attention to the blend lines ( gel is thin or dis collered easily ).

The Patch Aid from CCP is the best in my book.

YD.

YD. Thanks for the link. I have seen this website but didn't know what products were the right one's.

Decker83

Commander

Didn't do anything on the boat this weekend. It was to cold in the upper 50's.
Did get my 1/2 gallon spray pot all cleaned out and picked up some new supply lines and air hose's for it. Wanted some extra ones just in case.
Changed my mind about the old Devibliss gun. It didn't want to spray right, couldn't get a good fan with it even trying to spray water.
Going with the Sharpe model 75 instead. It did alot better when spraying some latex paint. Had alot more control.
Order some gel coat from US Composites today. Don't know if it will get here before the weekend.
I sure hope so. The weather is suposted to be around 76 degrees all weekend. Sure would be nice to spray at those temps.

Hope everyone has a great week.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Here's to fair skys and fair temps for the Gelcoating to begin!!!!:D Sounds like you got the gun thing all worked out. I'm lookin forward to learnin how to do this Gelcoat thing. Expect a lot of pics and details so don't go slackin on us!!!:eek:

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

+1

And hoping to get a report on where the overspray goes so I can decide how much tenting I'll need to do (if the brushable gel coat thing doesn't work out).

Sea ya...

Trooper82

Commander

ya hope we get the nice weather they been talking about....

rrumba

Ensign

GEL COAT time...... come on mother nature....... bring in those warm temps. interested in your Gel Coat process myself.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Come on Big Brown Truck...or White or Yellow or whatever...just hurry up, already...!!!

Decker83

Commander

Here's to fair skys and fair temps for the Gelcoating to begin!!!!:D Sounds like you got the gun thing all worked out. I'm lookin forward to learnin how to do this Gelcoat thing. Expect a lot of pics and details so don't go slackin on us!!!:eek:
Thanks WOG will try to show something on the subject, Hope it's not a how not to do it show.

+1

And hoping to get a report on where the overspray goes so I can decide how much tenting I'll need to do (if the brushable gel coat thing doesn't work out).

Sea ya...

Will let you know about the over spray.
ya hope we get the nice weather they been talking about....

Keeping my fingers crossed for us both.
GEL COAT time...... come on mother nature....... bring in those warm temps. interested in your Gel Coat process myself.

Thanks rrumba. Hope it all works out this weekend.
Come on Big Brown Truck...or White or Yellow or whatever...just hurry up, already...!!!

GT1M You the man. The Big Brown Truck made it today with the gel coat.
Now if all goes well I will be spraying this gel on tomorrow.:D

Will put up some pics and details tomorrow night if all goes well. If not I will put up a vid of the hull going up in smoke.:eek:

Trooper82

Commander

T-minus 8 hrs and counting over here in LA....good luck tomorrow Decker...I think we shoould be good weather wise...

You loading 1 or 2 quarts at a time?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Best of luck with the entire process...I'll be anxiously awaiting reports from both you and Trooper...