1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

JDA1975

Lieutenant
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

Thanks all, things are definitely looking up....and also looking forward to having a new drydock...I measured the garage today it is a little smaller than I thought, 27' long by 26' wide...still more than enough room to work!

Again I have to say that while originally I came here for some advice on building boats, I stayed because of the friendships and supportive community here.. you all are great!

Oh and Baja your the 1000th poster! too bad there is no prize!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Happy to have you amongst us!

I may actually buy a singer base/table tomorrow. If the house is still here:eek:

We won't be getting it nearly as bad as some, thankful for that, grieve for their losses in the mid-west & upper midwest.

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

Hey JDA,
I told you it would work out somehow. I am very happy for you. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for escrow.
Dave

craigweaver

Chief Petty Officer

Again I have to say that while originally I came here for some advice on building boats, I stayed because of the friendships and supportive community here.. you all are great!

I feel exactly the same way Judge! Who'd of thought scary projects would open such doors? You are one of those friendships I've come to value here. Thanks for all you give us.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Been reading all these threads talking about splashing soon and Decided I was going to splash mine!!!

have wondered what it would look like with its trailer

IMG_4162.jpg

IMG_4160.jpg

Gonna put the cap back on, and go float it this week...take a few 80lb bags of quick-crete and check my proposed weight placement, also check for any leaks I might have overlooked...plus this way it is all packed up for the move.

Oh look, I finally posted something with the boat for a change!

jbcurt00

Staff member

:cool:
:)
Looks good on the trailer!

craigweaver

Chief Petty Officer

that looks great Judge! can't wait to see how the bonus splash goes :)

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Thanks guys, I was pretty pleased with the combo, looks like they belong together....will take some pictures if I get a chance to float my boat....requires getting 2-3 guys to come help me put the cap back on. I did a dry install of the deck, just tacked in place so the cap will set on it....

I also got a call today from a guy that wants his pontoon painted...not sure what he meant, but I will go look this week...He said how much would you charge me to paint the metal on my pontoon....of course I said I would have to come look before I could give you an estimate...never seen anyone paint the toons on a boat...of course he might just mean the rails etc...will let ya know.

I may pick up enough business to support my own boat habit...Small lake community without much in the way of boat shops there is only one marina owned by the guy that owns everything in town and charges way too much (wanted 300 to change my water impeller)

jbcurt00

Staff member

The good luck streak continues!:cool::)

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like you are becoming the “boat guy” of your neighborhood. That is uber cool!
Dave

JDA1975

Lieutenant

I can only take 1 at a time...but my biggest fear is having a relapse in the middle of a project....would not be good for the customer....but ya know I can't live my life in fear of what might happen...just hope it doesn't!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Been reading all these threads talking about splashing soon and Decided I was going to splash mine!!!

have wondered what it would look like with its trailer

IMG_4162.jpg

IMG_4160.jpg

Gonna put the cap back on, and go float it this week...take a few 80lb bags of quick-crete and check my proposed weight placement, also check for any leaks I might have overlooked...plus this way it is all packed up for the move.

Oh look, I finally posted something with the boat for a change!

WOW!!!!, That looks so freakin nice...I had never pictured it like that, WOW!!!...you might have to paint the truck to match...:rolleyes::D

Judge, You nailed the color scheme, that Skeeter looks fast just sittin there...Really, Really Nice!

You deserve to feel all puffed up and proud!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Thanks guys...I passed on the pontoon painting....I just did not feel comfortable doing that much aluminum....told him I could polish it and bring it back to a nice shine...but he really wanted it painted...less maintenance.....I just sat there and imagined it peeling in a year or so and did not want to take that chance...not to mention painting the underside and back would be a serious PITA....

jbcurt00

Staff member

I have seen it @here, esp on the SC forum, what kind of longevity does that SharkHide (is that right? IDK, maybe...?)offer. I think Jas used it on the Jet. I don't think I've seen it discussed as to how long it'll stay that way.

You gotta do whatever makes you comfortable, but it was good to go see the boat. You never know until you see the job. Kudos for getting the call. That's HUGE. Got to get the calls before you can yeah or nah 'em.

Looking forward to hearing some details about the upholstery job!

Have a great week!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hey Judge,
Watch this, then call the Toon Guy back and tell him you'll make his toons look new for $200 bucks. Then buy some of this stuff and rent a power washer. You'll make an easy $200 bucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlkuS5jnMDc

jbcurt00

Staff member

Wow, that stuff worked great, enviro friendly too!

mitt64

Recruit

Hi JDA

It's only taken three months since finding this thread to read it all but i got there lol .
I just want to echo so many other comments on here, You are an inspiration the work you do is outstanding.
good luck with the house hope all goes well look forward to reading many more installments

cheers john

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Oh and Baja your the 1000th poster! too bad there is no prize!

What? I was under the impression a there was a prize? Whom do I need to speak with about this? BTW, I'm jealous of the new garage size...think of all the projects i could take on?!?

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Thanks for the Link wood, that was basically what I told him...that I could restore the shine, but he doesn't want to deal with the upkeep...might give him a shout back and tell him That I could do the upkeep yearly for him. As far as prepping and painting that much aluminum, I did not feel comfortable with being able to guarantee it...I would much rather pass on a job then do one and have the guy upset in a season when it doesn't hold up....I understand the process for prepping, but that is a lot of aluminum, and one mistake could easily start a peel, and peels tend to grow pretty quickly lol

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, NO WAY would I paint "Toons". But an annual Wash Down with that stuff would be a No brainer. Easy $200 bucks