1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

JDA1975

Lieutenant
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

thanks all...I am still busy with Pinewood, got started on my son's car today, I like its shape

Carving it....

IMG_4065.jpg

IMG_4066.jpg

Little bit of paint brings out the lines better...still needs more sanding and coats but I think it will beat my car now for show and shine lol

IMG_4070.jpg

IMG_4071.jpg

IMG_4072.jpg

IMG_4073.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Bugatti? Nice!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

actually have no idea what it is...son brought me a hot wheel car and told me he wanted it to look like this...I am just trying to copy it as best I can...it doesn't quite match his car, but it ended up with an interesting shape

JDA1975

Lieutenant

It has some shine, and some flames to burn up the track with now

IMG_4095.jpg

IMG_4094.jpg

IMG_4096.jpg

IMG_4097.jpg

got about 3 weeks til derby time so will let this paint cure then give it a good polish and wax...want it to shine like the sun...gotta be as shiny as the trophy it wins lol

jbcurt00

Staff member

Nice work! Nice couple of cars ya got there! 3Wks? Wow, the locals here were weeks ago....

Good luck!

craigweaver

Chief Petty Officer

Judge!!! I get busy for a week and you turn iBoats into a Pinewood derby forum, lol. I love both of em. They both blow any of the 2 or 3 I built as a kid completely away! Your son has got to be so proud of his pop's skills! Glad to see you're back hangin with the boys on iBoats again. We missed you.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Judge!!! I get busy for a week and you turn iBoats into a Pinewood derby forum, lol. I love both of em. They both blow any of the 2 or 3 I built as a kid completely away! Your son has got to be so proud of his pop's skills! Glad to see you're back hangin with the boys on iBoats again. We missed you.

LOL, well since I got so many calls/texts concerned about me, I figured even if I am not working on the boat right now, I can share what I am working on with yas! Thanks...The other parents were worried the hit rod was my son's car when I was making it, assured them it was mine...but honestly I think I have put more effort into making his shine, than I did my own...I believe I am on the 7th coat of clear, after 3 coats of primer and 4 coats of color...when I am done I want them to wonder if it is even wood lol

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Judge
I'm glad you are back.
Dave

JDA1975

Lieutenant

after many more coats..I have decided that I just cant get the paint any smoother....

Picture holding a piece of sandpaper over it...can also see me and my camera in the right fender...shiny enough?

IMG_4114.jpg

IMG_4113.jpg

just me and my camera

IMG_4110.jpg

Almost makes me want to repaint my boat...I have learned a lot about body paint on this little project lol

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Chip Foose would be proud of that shine! Nice!, I am gonna need my sunglasses
28_1_19.gif

4_17_6.gif

jbcurt00

Staff member

WTF, that's crazy Judge, now you're just showing off. We already fawned all over your mad paint skills on the hull & trailer. Then you kill the hot rod derby car. Now this.

Yellow flag thrown, challenge called, illegal move by the offense. Just waiting on the ruling from the booth.....
It's official the challenge has been rejected, penalty charged to the defense, the ruling on the field stands:
This derby car ROCKS!:cool:

I'm taking all my posts & going home.:D

Wow, who'd have thunk it: there's an incredible custom upholster & phenomenal custom painter hiding in this little out of the way place on iBoats and over in AR. Color me impressed!

Better keep both those cars under wraps at the event. I see some envious dad's & son's on race day!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

LOL, already dealt with the envious dads...I went to post office, because they will weigh our cars for us there....and got a lecture about pinewood being for the kids...my son did do alot of the cutting on the band saw, and he pulled the drill press to make wheel wells...and did a little sanding...I did the carving...7 year old with an exacto knife is scary...did the finish sanding, and after he did some of the color coats, I finished the paint....guy told me his son was going to do everything...then mentioned he was having a guy cut out it this week for him and didn't need my help when I told him we were having a workshop day this Saturday to help the parents that don't have access to tools.

IMO pinewood is about teaching a child craftsmanship...and the way you teach is by doing it as well as it can...its how I learned from my dad, he may have been an inconsiderate jerk..but the man had skillz lol. anyhow I got a taste of what I can expect come race day from other parents...

jbcurt00

Staff member

Carp, I didn't intend for my little rant to be a free preview of race day. Yikes. Hope it goes smoothly day of....

Still GD good Judge, damn great!

We should put you in touch w/ Sleeper-6. He can do the fab work & turn you loose on the paint! If I hit the lottery Wed, I'd pay you 2 to finish the FireFLite. 'Course I need to buy a tix to win.

Oh well, seems I have made another purchase that will take my extra nickels for the foreseeable future....:eek:

Judge gets the confirmation 1st: Guilty, own a tinny:rolleyes:. Just saying it makes me chaff!

craigweaver

Chief Petty Officer

wow Judge, that shine is incredible. I don't think my real car gets that shiny. You my friend are a true craftsman! I agree with your assessment of how you teach your kids to do a great job and be proud of their work. I took turns with my son on the hvlp gun tonight, and showed him how to spray evenly by go working through it together. Keep it up, Judge you're son with remember this forever. I also think, regardless of what the other parents say at the pinewood derby day, you're son will be puffed up proud of his car and rightfully so!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Thanks Craig...your boat is looking great, you guys are coming along and the son is learning valuable skills, can't wait to see you guys splash her

I thought I could not get it any shinier....I was wrong...4 coats of wax and dangit I am done! You know it shines when you can se the camera lens shine too

IMG_4125.jpg

IMG_4126.jpg

IMG_4127.jpg

IMG_4128.jpg

OK...I am done derailing my own thread...good news is this has restoked my creative side and I am ready to work on boat again....I still have things I can do "sans dinero", so may as well get back to it

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

About time;)

I got hurt last week and I am going to be out of commission for a while. So I will be watching you guys.
Dave:D

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Revisiting an older question I had about making a grill on my hot rods wooden radiator...JBcurt had an idea and I went it, more or less

Aluminum foil? Done like gold leaf?

Only change I made was I used aluminum tape, I had forgotten it was in my shed

IMG_4133.jpg

took my Xacto knife and rolled the pattern into the tape

IMG_4135.jpg

IMG_4136.jpg

then cut out the piece and taped it to the radiator...also did a cheesy bumper as well

IMG_4130.jpg

Not the best option, but definitely gave it a semi-grill like appearance, thanks for the idea JB

jbcurt00

Staff member

Nice looking faux radiator!

I love the finish work you've done on your son's car! Well done.

I think I read something about a little work headed Skeeter's way! Good to hear.

Nice having ya back this week....

craigweaver

Chief Petty Officer

Judge, your attention to detail is amazing! If you put that much into a pinewood derby car I can't wait to see your finished skeeter!

Thanks for the text Friday, it was a needed regrounding during a stressfull work time. Glad to hear you're feeling better.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

thanks craig, I am glad a text that I changed my number could cheer you up so!

I will be somewhat distracted next little bit....I am trying to negotiate with a man about a buying a shop......

0430942.jpg

of course the house is also nice...the entire basement and garage would make an awesome shop....everything else is on the house level