1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

JDA1975

Lieutenant
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

Thanks, checked out your boat thread today looking good as well! Trying to refine my fiberglass materials list, and just not really sure how to calculate exactly what I need...I want minimal left-overs costing extra coin!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Except to use the info WOG posted for boats 'our' size, I don't know enough about poly & glass to accurately measure needed supplies. So I'll be using his info & best guessing, since on the 1st boat I'll do I won't be doing stringers at all. Course, my extra supplies will end up on the FireFlite, so they'll get used. You can do the long math since you've already got the stringer system cut. I would use the widest dimension of glass layer as the standard.

If your doing 4" each side tabs (8" total) and 8" each side tabs (16" total) over that on both sides of a stringer and on 2 total stringers that are 12', you'd estimate 2 layers 16" X 12' on each side of each stringer. So that's a total of 8pcs of 16" X 12' of glass. That gives you some oh carp extra glass.

There's a lot of info on FiberglassSite. <<-- that link is to a penny book, but it's free to download. Read through it. It has some info about resin volumes needed to wet out CSM & 1708 as I remember. Once you get the total size of glass you need, you can get close using those figures from FiberglassSite. But I'd try to get at least 15% extra poly, 20-25% may be better. Upfront it may be more, but you won't have to order supplies & pay freight/hazmat twice. Since it's by weight, it may not be any cheaper to order it upfront though.

Have you been successful finding it close to home? I hope so, hazmat shipping is pricey!

Cheers, good to see ya thinking about some supplies.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

I can get resin 3 miles from my house 120/5gal...but the cloth only comes in precut 3'X12' peices and I don't want that...found a place 2 hours away with 50" by the yard so can get 1 full length roll....they resin 2 hours away is 108.74/5 gallons so I will get 10 gallons there and if I need more Ill buy some here at the auto body supply store down the street....since I am going to be limited to 500 bucks this month, I am just trying to get as accurate as I can...wanna get the most done for the money with little waste

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Amen about the left-over extra costs... this winter, I ended up talking my wife into getting me boat supplies for bday/christmas presents...

It's nice when you can get the materials locally - to echo jbcurt, that shipping gets really expensive. I ordered all my resin online because it was less expensive, but after all the shipping costs, I only ended up saving about $40 total for the entire project (assuming I have enough to finish...knock on wood...)

Good to see you working on it again!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Good talking with you today. Great News about the "JOB"!!! I'll let you tell everybody!
Judge, I can't believe you splashed the "Green Machine" before the "Blue Flamingo" I am embarassed. I knew I was Slow, just didn't realize HOW SLOW!!!!!!:eek: She looks GREAT!!!! Oh by the way, Holes in boats work both ways...Let water in...Let water out!!!!:facepalm: 24 oz Woven Roving REALLY soaks up the resin so... Order 15 gals of resin. You'll use it ALL!!!! 20 yds of 1.5oz CSM 10-12 yds of the Roving. Based on what you have told me on the size of everything you will be glassing this should get you close. You'll also need 10 qts of Cabosil and 2 lbs of 1/4" chopped milled fibers for your PB. Get some 3M Glass bubbles to make some sandable filler too!!! Get a bubble roller too! Lots of Chip Brushes from Harbor freight and dozen short nap 6" rollers. Rub the rollers down with a hack saw blade to "De-Fuzz" em before you start rolling resin.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Thanks woody, as usual our phone calls get me right where I need to be...I appreciate it more than I can express...Just got off the phone with my customer...he approved the material costs (he has to pay this up front, and labor at the end) and will be coming up tomorrow to get this started. I am reupholstering a 28' pontoon, with about 30' worth of bench seating...2 tone, nothing fancy....hoping I quoted it right to make a little fundage for my own bad boat habit.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Out-F'ing-Standing!

Congrats!

It only takes 1 to get started. Word of mouth can pay huge dividends w/ the 2012 boat season just getting ready to start! Hope it's a breeze & just the 1st of several more to come!W

Well done!

phil32

Cadet

This is one of the most informative, heartbreaking at times, drama filled, inspiring stories of one mans struggle and the best of what America is. Its people!

I salute each and everyone of you that has responded to this mans vision of an old worn out Boat and his passion to not only save it, but with the help of all of these people bringing it back to it glory better than ever.

Its whats great about this country, its people and the Boating community as a whole. It reads like a novel with every page a new challenge and a collective solution. Just cant wait till the next chapter. ITS JUST AMAZING.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

This is one of the most informative, heartbreaking at times, drama filled, inspiring stories of one mans struggle and the best of what America is. Its people!

I salute each and everyone of you that has responded to this mans vision of an old worn out Boat and his passion to not only save it, but with the help of all of these people bringing it back to it glory better than ever.

Its whats great about this country, its people and the Boating community as a whole. It reads like a novel with every page a new challenge and a collective solution. Just cant wait till the next chapter. ITS JUST AMAZING.

Well thanks for that...I think there are much more informative threads out there though, but glad you could find some good information here as well...if it didn't read like a novel before it surely does now, I honestly don't know how to respond to a comment like this one because I don't see it myself; nonetheless, it is appreciated and taken to heart.....Don't forget our brothers/sisters in the other countries on here as well; it is not the American spirit, it is the human spirit!

rrumba

Ensign

JDA glad to hear things are on the up swing. those are some awesome cars. SHE FLOATS, always a good sign. Looks real nice sitting in the water and i thought i hear putt putt sounds from a distance......

craigweaver

Chief Petty Officer

JDA glad to hear things are on the up swing. those are some awesome cars. SHE FLOATS, always a good sign. Looks real nice sitting in the water and i thought i hear putt putt sounds from a distance......

haha, I KNOW I heard putt putt sounds, maybe even a vroooom, vroooom

JDA1975

Lieutenant

trying out my video uploading...with pinewood test runs....

apparently the hot rod actually ended up being the faster of the 2 after all...who woulda thunk it...must be the flames

JDA1975

Lieutenant

hmm dunno how to add videos to the tread I guess

Edit, thanks wood for teaching me something new every day

second video, the car in lane 1 and 4 are mine, the truck in lane 3 is another one I cut and shaped as well

craigweaver

Chief Petty Officer

trying out my video uploading...with pinewood test runs....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SZcd6_8iftg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CtCyHF61P50" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

apparently the hot rod actually ended up being the faster of the 2 after all...who woulda thunk it...must be the flames

I hear flames ad 10% more hp on a pinewood derby car :eek:

The videos were cool Judge, worked great on my iPad.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Like This...Go to you tube, copy the address from the address line, return to iBoats, Click Go Advanced Button, Click the Film Strip icon, paste the address you copied in the window. Done!!!!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Hey, WOG got it first.....

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Man, that hot rod HAULS BIG OLE BUCKETS OF A! Nicely done!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

The grudge match between the 4 cars I cut...missed finish line but the finish order was my hot rod, my sons green machine, his buddies truck, and then the gangster car

jbcurt00

Staff member

Congrats on the Super-fecta: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, & 4th!:D Nice you were 1st & 2nd too!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

the paint job on the gangsta car almost made me cry...but I had to remind myself, once I cut it out, it wasnt my car anymore lol...the green car I made for my son got best overall prize...so I was pretty happy with that....unfortunately I was the only father that made a car for myself, so there was no dad competition