1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

JDA1975

Lieutenant
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

Houston, we have touchdown.....

Cap is back on, have the deck and stringers placed but not tied in....dry fit is perfection!

IMG_4163.jpg

Comfy place to relax!

IMG_4165.jpg

Tank and bilge area....still plenty of storage, tank doesn't take up too much of the area

IMG_4171.jpg

IMG_4170.jpg

Have about 1.5" of clearance between center console and top of tank, plenty of room for the sending unit wiring

IMG_4167.jpg

As Hannibal from the A-Team always said, "I love it when a plan comes together"....If I could afford the fiberglass right now I could have it on the water pretty quick! Not too bad considering no templates and my 2 parts were 30' feet away from each other!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Looking good Judge!

You look right at home at the helm!:cool:

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Thanks, I was excited to sit behind the helm with it put together! Looking forward to something more than just a dry fit!

I know I said I was done with Pinewood Cars...but an exceptionally busy dad asked me if I would cut a basic shape for him...he said his son wanted an Old style Gangster car...this is what I gave him

IMG_4173.jpg

IMG_4174.jpg

another Single Mother, with no access to tools asked me if I would cut her son a truck....and this is what I gave her...

120228_001.jpg

120228_002.jpg

gonna be a sad day when my son does not win first in show because I cut a cooler car for someone else! lol they wont be able to touch my paint job though!

jbcurt00

Staff member

:cool:nice work!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Thanks JB...I think my lack of funds to work on boat, and my insistence to share my Pinewood hobby have derailed the interest in this thread lol, I promise I will do boat work soon! the house is not going to go through...it is too far from a fire department and the insurance quotes I got 3K a year....I just don't want to pay that much on insurance I would hopefully never need to use lol

jbcurt00

Staff member

The local city gov't here in several areas are adding a fire dept tax to anyone out of the city limits. They're trying to cover some revenue losses during the poor economy. No pay the tax, no fire dept coverage for your house.:(

So I know what your talking about w/ needing excess insurance.

Sorry to hear that 1's out. There's a better 1 out there though! He gives us what we can bear. Keep looking, & make the most of what you've got. Spend all the time you can w/ the kiddo! That's time you'll never regret spending w/ him or get back if you don't. Boats are boats & clearly earned the bust out another hundred.

I haven't made meaningful progress on the FireFlite in a good long while, and can't seem to keep my pick up rendezvous date w/ the SC in Virginia. So I hear you on that front also.

Wishing you & your's the best. And just agree to not unload the Skeeter project just yet!:)

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Lets get wet!...I tossed 320lbs of quickcrete in the back to represent my 300lb motor....then took it down the street and put it in the water

IMG_4179.jpg

IMG_4180.jpg

Can see the brick in the forward storage...is to help represent the battery weight...will actually go just a tad more forward under the casting deck

IMG_4181.jpg

IMG_4182.jpg

its water-line looked really good, even with my buddy moving around in it (also had around 200+ lbs of water in the bilge....forgot to cover the motor mounting holes DUH!)...Cant wait now to get the fiberglass done and put its motor back on!

craigweaver

Chief Petty Officer

Judge, sorry to hear about the house. The right "fit" on all fronts will come along when it is truly meant to be.

On the positive side..... WOW, that boat looks AWESOME!!!!

And a splash to boot? If that doesn't excite you for the potential of your project I don't know what will, lol

She sure rides nice on the water, good thought on the added weight to check how she sits.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Looks great on the water, the side spears look to be in exactly the right place. Good looking craft you've got going there!

Man, the water is really clear! Looks like a nice place to go for a boat ride!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

found another local supplier, well 120 miles away local anyways...but they do carry rolls and 50" wide materials, so will go with them...Lam resin $108.74/5 Gallon, 1.5oz CSM 4.95/yard, they don't carry Biax, but 24oz roving is 6.92/yd....the CSM is more expensive than USC, but the resin and cloth are cheaper...get rid of the shipping and will be cheaper overall...my shopping list will cost just under 700 bucks, and since we aint moving I think I am going to go ahead and get it at the end of month

jbcurt00

Staff member

:cool:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

The Skeeter looks perfect sitting where it belongs...looks like it is going to be a real nice ride...congrats on a dry run "splash...

PS- don't forget to plug any holes that might let in water...:eek:

And the pine derby cars look way koool, you have a gifted vision for style...

too bad 'bout the house, but as they say, when its meant to be...it'll happen...

bear_69cuda

Commander

Brutha JDA!

I do say that boat looks flippin wonderful on the water! I really dig the paint scheme and how she sits....

Big day my man!

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

JDA it really looks wonderful out there.
I am sorry also about the house.
Your bud
Dave

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Thanks guys, I was pleased with the way it sat and think my mods are going to work out alright.....glad you all thought it looked as good as I did, I am biased, so confirmation is nice!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Old20Style20Skeeter20Boat20Logo.jpg

I don't remember where you fell on keeping it a 'Skeeter' after so much custom work. But I like the logo, from here......

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Old20Style20Skeeter20Boat20Logo.jpg

I don't remember where you fell on keeping it a 'Skeeter' after so much custom work. But I like the logo, from here......

I am still debating this myself....I may put the skeeter logo, but do not think I will put the "SS-1 Sport Fisherman" back on it....still got some time to debate it, thanks for link to where I can get one though

jbcurt00

Staff member

Your welcome.
Have a good week!

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boat looks great Judge! Must feel great to finally get it in the water after so much work! I agree with Bear - that paint scheme really works!