1978 Starcraft Mariner 210 Restoration

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1978 Starcraft Mariner 210 Restoration

I was out starting the motor to test the new thermostats. The starter was spinning nicely and then all the sudden quit. You can hear a clicking sound when you turn the key. I think my solenoid just went bad, but i wanted ask before i went out a bought a new one. Any thoughts?

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I jumped my starter this afternoon and it is still working. SO i think the solenoid needs to be replaced. However a new problem has come up. The motor yesterday before the starter quit working went from a steady crank to a very slow crank. I had chalked it up to a dead battery. I put the battery on the charger overnight, and this afternoon i used it to jump the starter with jumper cables. The starter worked, but the motor was still cranking very slowly. I pulled out all the spark plugs and disconnected the fuel. Now the motor will crank very easily, but as soon as i put one spark plug back in it goes to a very slow crank again.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I did ask in the evinrude/johnson forum, but i thought i would post it here as well.

I guess this is what i get for a free motor. ::eek:

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The guys in the OB forums have helped figure all this out.

I am going to run some solenoid tests, and be purchasing a new starter.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The guys in the OB forums have helped figure all this out.

I am going to run some solenoid tests, and be purchasing a new starter.

NO NO it has a 90%+ chance that you have a dirty connection or corroded wires....... before you spend money and throw parts at it...... please check EVERY wire and connection..... look for corrosion ....... sand the connection and re-install.

I went through the same thing and decided just for being a maintenance fanatic that I would get my starter rebuilt..... the shop where I dropped it off then told me the starter was NOT in any condition to be re-built ...THEN I bought a new one (aftermarket less than $100)

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

NO NO it has a 90%+ chance that you have a dirty connection or corroded wires....... before you spend money and throw parts at it...... please check EVERY wire and connection..... look for corrosion ....... sand the connection and re-install.

I went through the same thing and decided just for being a maintenance fanatic that I would get my starter rebuilt..... the shop where I dropped it off then told me the starter was NOT in any condition to be re-built ...THEN I bought a new one (aftermarket less than $100)

Thanks Bob_vt,

I did check all the connections already. Used 220 grit sand paper to clean everything and it did not make any difference.

As soon as i jumped the starter with some jumper cables straight to a battery it started working, but it was very slow. I can turn the flywheel by hand pretty easily, so the starter should not have a problem.

This was all tested on a fresh battery as well.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

why was I thinking you had that starter rebuilt already?

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

why was I thinking you had that starter rebuilt already?

I replaced the starter bendix on it. The starter also had the mounting brackets on it broke, So I re-welded those to it (probably not a good idea). I was thinking about replacing or rebuilding the starter, and now i have to. I probably ruined it by re-welding the mounting brackets to it. The starter was incredibly hot when the welds were finished and I cooled it off under the hose. I know, I know, not the smartest thing to do. But the starter would of needed replacing anyway because of the brackets, so i figured it was worth the try.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well I wanted to get something done on the boat today. I was not able to get a friend to come over and help me run the tests on the solenoid. I decided to paint on the Registration Numbers. They came out bigger than I wanted, but I am going to leave them for now. I can always re-paint them.

2bc87a7b.jpg

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Also here are some updated pictures of what she is looking like right now.

70e64b18.jpg

00a6deee.jpg

191Seanymphstriper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Bob_vt,

I did check all the connections already. Used 220 grit sand paper to clean everything and it did not make any difference.

As soon as i jumped the starter with some jumper cables straight to a battery it started working, but it was very slow. I can turn the flywheel by hand pretty easily, so the starter should not have a problem.

This was all tested on a fresh battery as well.
Sounds like you have a bad battery that is not holding a good charge is all! Get a new battery

If a battery has had its last charge and is cranked out! It will then after a while begin to actually almost act as is it is a short. It will act the way that you are stating! Even with a charger on it if the battery is faulty and that bad. So put a load test on it and see what it does! I had a similar issue recently and it was a very bad battery issue! Even a new battery can be faulty so just figured Id through it out there! Check the battery! Also befor you start changing solinoids etc.. Check all your wiring under the console ets.. Make sure there are no loose crimps etc!

And the boat looks great! I diddnt think i was going to like the green but it looks fantastic! Great job!

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sounds like you have a bad battery that is not holding a good charge is all! Get a new battery

If a battery has had its last charge and is cranked out! It will then after a while begin to actually almost act as is it is a short. It will act the way that you are stating! Even with a charger on it if the battery is faulty and that bad. So put a load test on it and see what it does! I had a similar issue recently and it was a very bad battery issue! Even a new battery can be faulty so just figured Id through it out there! Check the battery! Also befor you start changing solinoids etc.. Check all your wiring under the console ets.. Make sure there are no loose crimps etc!

And the boat looks great! I diddnt think i was going to like the green but it looks fantastic! Great job!

I am 120% positive it is not the battery. I have tried it on 2 different batterys, and these 2 batterys were used to crank over my buddys 25ft carver just last weekend. So I know the batterys are good.

I have not had any chance at all to work on the boat in the last week or so. Work has been crazy, and with the days getting shorter I don't have much light left by the time i get home.

Anyway, one thing at a time. It will all get done soon enough.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well finally a small update.

I got the new starter ordered, and the new solenoid ordered. Thank you ebay. Once they arrive i will be able to work on the motor some more.

Work has been so busy lately. I have just been working non stop, and doing some projects around the house for the wife. I just finished putting in a new floor for her, and now she wants some new carpet! YIKES!:eek:

I am anxious to get back to the boat. But have to keep the wife happy as well.

Bob_VT

Staff member

Oh about time !!!!

We were starting to wonder if you were shopping for another boat to cut apart and dream up a super center console :p:rolleyes:

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oh about time !!!!

We were starting to wonder if you were shopping for another boat to cut apart and dream up a super center console :p:rolleyes:

HAHA, No super center console for me. This boat is not going anywhere, I can promise that.

The starter and solenoid should be here next week. So i will get back at it once they arrive.

Bob_VT

Staff member

HAHA, No super center console for me. This boat is not going anywhere, I can promise that.

The starter and solenoid should be here next week. So i will get back at it once they arrive.
<<<< AND AFTER you do the new carpet!! :D

fshngho

Lieutenant

I know what you mean Isaac. Lots of home chores here too. :mad: Heck I just got back from cutting the daughters 1 1/2 acre yard, gotta do my yard tomorrow. Oh well the winter is coming so I get a reprieve from that. I am sure she will add to my honeydo list though. If mama ain't happy, nobody is happy.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Well I wanted to get something done on the boat today. I was not able to get a friend to come over and help me run the tests on the solenoid. I decided to paint on the Registration Numbers. They came out bigger than I wanted, but I am going to leave them for now. I can always re-paint them.

2bc87a7b.jpg

Also here are some updated pictures of what she is looking like right now.

70e64b18.jpg

00a6deee.jpg

Is it just my 6 year old that busted these pics :) ( I know he has done alot of whats the difference pictures lately ).

In 1 minute of posings you have 3 different boats :)

You did say this is how it looks like Right now.. but..those pics are taken in different stages ... Why the comment of changing something in the future when you ALLREADY did it ?? and do IT again ??

my 6 year old is Baffled..befuddled.. :) hes asking if it was magic.

YD on behalf of son.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Is it just my 6 year old that busted these pics :) ( I know he has done alot of whats the difference pictures lately ).

In 1 minute of posings you have 3 different boats :)

You did say this is how it looks like Right now.. but..those pics are taken in different stages ... Why the comment of changing something in the future when you ALLREADY did it ?? and do IT again ??

my 6 year old is Baffled..befuddled.. :) hes asking if it was magic.

YD on behalf of son.

I am so confused...

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I am so confused...

Why did you post a comment on something only to have the remedy Allready DONE.

Im more confused then you..

But my son would still like to know if it was magic

YD and his 6 year old son.

PS. LOOK closely at your 3 pics that I put up here and you should be able to tell us. ( My son like me has an EYE for Detail ;) ) .