1978 Starcraft Mariner 210 Restoration

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1978 Starcraft Mariner 210 Restoration

Drive/Bendix - same thing...I'm not qualified to answer what's involved, that's why I had mine rebuilt...just going by what my wife and her co-workers say{she's been in aftermarket auto parts for almost thirty years and deals with marine customers on a regular basis... fwiw}.

Gotcha. I just wanted to make sure the drive was not different than the bendix.

Thanks guys for the info.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry for the confusion, my wife sez you wouldn't believe the names people have for it, she's heard everything from starter drive, bendix, bendix gear, starter gear, drive gear, and my fav {lol}gear gizmo.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Just checking in Issac! Hey, what did you use for decking/transom and what did you seal it up with??

Motor on, nice job!

Cheers!

mark1961

Ensign

What do you mean by "drive"? I have already removed the bendix from the starter. One nut on the top of it and it slides off. Is there more that i am missing?

Just be careful which replacement bendix you get for it as there were two different starter motors fitted to that engine, prestolite and american bosch (most likely), the bendixes for each have different part numbers, do some research at boats.net or brp.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just checking in Issac! Hey, what did you use for decking/transom and what did you seal it up with??

Motor on, nice job!

Cheers!

For the deck i used 5/8 plywood and sealed it all with 4 coats of a olympic stain (picture couple pages back).

For the transom i used a douglas fir 2x12 and douglas fir 2x6 for the sides. Glassed all tge seams together with 1708 matt and coated 4 coats of olympic stain.

I hope to get a few years out of it for now.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Motor on, nice job!

Cheers!

For the deck i used 5/8 plywood and sealed it all with 4 coats of a olympic stain (picture couple pages back).

For the transom i used a douglas fir 2x12 and douglas fir 2x6 for the sides. Glassed all tge seams together with 1708 matt and coated 4 coats of olympic stain.

I hope to get a few years out of it for now.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just be careful which replacement bendix you get for it as there were two different starter motors fitted to that engine, prestolite and american bosch (most likely), the bendixes for each have different part numbers, do some research at boats.net or brp.

Thanks.

The marine shop ordered me one bendix. It will be in tomrrow afternoon. We went with the cheaper one first, and if it is the wrong one they will order in the other one.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

SHE IS ALIVE!!!!

The motor started today, no problems. Hooked up the gas and 5 seconds later she was running. not bad for something that has sat for 5 years.

I did a compression check, and the compression is 100-110 on all cylinders.

The motor needs a water pump, thermostat, and lower unit fluid change and then she will be ready to hit the water!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Glad to hear the outboard is running...sounds like you will be heading out before ya know it:D

Looking forward to some splash photos and video if you can!

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Things are moving along slowly. I tried to figure out how to take the lower unit off and replace the water pump, but I have decided to hire a mobile mechanic to come out on friday and watch him do it. He is charging $125 for labor and I get the parts at his cost.

The next couple weeks, work will be super busy for me. I will only have the weekends to keep working on the boat. So progress is going to slow a bit.

I am hoping to splash the boat on saturday and see how she runs. I will take pictures and some video for sure, so you guys can see for your selves.

All the interior stuff, foam under the deck, and all the finishing touches I am going to work on over the winter.

Anyway, just wanted to offer a update of where things were sitting.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The shift rod on some of those motors can be a real bear. I was able to do my '73, was not able to do my '81, but my not-too-mechanical friend was able to do his '90. Go figure.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well it is done.

The mechanic came out this afternoon (was not able to do it friday) and we spent 3 hours in the rain replacing the water pump and I am glad we did! On the good side, everything in the motor looks brand new. Even the old impeller was brand new and had barely been used. But whoever put it in did it wrong and it would never of pumped enough water to keep the motor cool. The gaskets were not sealed tight, and the impeller key was missing. But Everything is correct and put back together now. The motor is running BEAUTIFULLY!

There is a chance I am not working tomorrow. If i end up with the day off I am going to take the boat out to the lake.

I will keep everyone posted.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

What (specifically) pour in foam are you going to use? I'm just removing it from my boat and MAYBE will consider putting it back in. I figure it the only way to get the most foam in. The factory foam is not too bad to remove, but there is some other stuff put in by PO that is A LOT more dense.

Just wondering......Thanks.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What (specifically) pour in foam are you going to use? I'm just removing it from my boat and MAYBE will consider putting it back in. I figure it the only way to get the most foam in. The factory foam is not too bad to remove, but there is some other stuff put in by PO that is A LOT more dense.

Just wondering......Thanks.

I am going to use the 2 gallon kit from here.

http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/Product_Catalog/Pour_Foam/pour_foam.html

I will start with 2 gallons, see how far that goes, and then continue on from there 2 gallons at a time.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here is the first video of the motor running. Took it this morning, and it is pumping water very very well. I am very satisfied with how she is running. Next step, water run!

(click on picture to watch video)

mark1961

Ensign

Just curious if you have checked the thermostats on that motor? There appears to be more water than normal exiting from the exhaust relief ports in the vid, could mean it has no thermo's fittted, if this is the case there probably wont be enough water getting forced high enough into the block/heads to properly cool the upper two cylinders.

sprintst

Commander

Nice motor work. It's definately worth it if you can find a motor like that and bring it up to speed. She should run like a top for years to come.

Here is the first video of the motor running. Took it this morning, and it is pumping water very very well. I am very satisfied with how she is running. Next step, water run!

(click on picture to watch video)

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well boat run #1 was a fail.

The motor this morning was running great, pumping water nicely (I don't know how much water is too much out of the exhaust ports). So i changed the lower gear oil and headed for the lake. We got the boat in the water (a few small leaks to take care of still), fired over the motor and headed out. About 100 yards from the dock the overheating alarm went off. I looked back and there was NO WATER being pumped at all. Shut the motor down and hooked up the electric and headed back to the dock. Got the boat home, hooked it back up to the ear muffs, and once again NO WATER at all. Something has gone wrong, and it is not pumping water at all. If anyone has any idea's let me know. I know the water impeller was working fine this morning, and so I don't know what is going on.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I don't know either but I will second the observation that I'd never seen that much water pumping out of the exhaust relief ports. Those typically just spit.