1978 Starcraft Mariner 210 Restoration

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1978 Starcraft Mariner 210 Restoration

I don't know either but I will second the observation that I'd never seen that much water pumping out of the exhaust relief ports. Those typically just spit.

Well maybe the Tstats is the next place to check. Does anyone know if they are like a car? If the Tstat get stuck closed will it prevent water from flowing?

mark1961

Ensign

Well maybe the Tstats is the next place to check. Does anyone know if they are like a car? If the Tstat get stuck closed will it prevent water from flowing?

There will still be flow from the telltale if the thermostats are stuck closed so no BUT, the motor will overheat because the heated water cannot escape quickly enough. I would suspect you still have an impeller issue as the cause for the no flow and overheat alarm. Those thermostats need to be checked also, the excessive flow from the exhaust relief ports indicates they are either not there or stuck open.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There will still be flow from the telltale if the thermostats are stuck closed so no BUT, the motor will overheat because the heated water cannot escape quickly enough. I would suspect you still have an impeller issue as the cause for the no flow and overheat alarm. Those thermostats need to be checked also, the excessive flow from the exhaust relief ports indicates they are either not there or stuck open.

Thanks, this is very good to know. Tonight when i get home from work i will be removing the lower unit again and checking everything.

One more question i have, if the tstats are stuck open, does it hurt to run the motor like that? I know this might be a stupid question, but i am asking anyway. I will deffinetly check and replace them, i am just curiousnif any harm can be done.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Immediately? No. Long term you can have carbon build up from running it too cold (or so I'm told).

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Immediately? No. Long term you can have carbon build up from running it too cold (or so I'm told).

Makes sence. I am guesing i wont get as much power from it either cause it is not at opperating temp. I will be placing a call to the marine shop to order some new tstats.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

It probably won't idle very well either, be like a cold motor all the time.

mark1961

Ensign

Thanks, this is very good to know. Tonight when i get home from work i will be removing the lower unit again and checking everything.

One more question i have, if the tstats are stuck open, does it hurt to run the motor like that? I know this might be a stupid question, but i am asking anyway. I will deffinetly check and replace them, i am just curiousnif any harm can be done.

If the thermostats have been removed by a PO or stuck open (less likely) there is a very real possiblity that the impeller wont be able to generate enough pressure in the cooling system to force water high enough into the powerhead to adequately cool the upper two cylinders causing damage.

Unfortunately, due to the telltale design on johnnyrudes of this vintage a strong telltale stream is no guarantee that water is actually reaching the upper areas of the powerhead because the takeoff for it is located on the lower part of the engine. So, the best idea is to make sure everything else is up to scratch.

I would suggest you get those t/stats sorted out before you run it again.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If the thermostats have been removed by a PO or stuck open (less likely) there is a very real possiblity that the impeller wont be able to generate enough pressure in the cooling system to force water high enough into the powerhead to adequately cool the upper two cylinders causing damage.

Unfortunately, due to the telltale design on johnnyrudes of this vintage a strong telltale stream is no guarantee that water is actually reaching the upper areas of the powerhead because the takeoff for it is located on the lower part of the engine.

I would suggest you get those t/stats sorted out before you run it again.

I just got off the phone with my mechanic and he his saying the same thing. First thing tomorrow I am calling the marine shop and having some T-stats ordered and we are going to replace those this weekend. We will also check out the impeller and replace that again if it is needed.

fowlfooler

Recruit

I think that its cool boat u have gotten urself. Mines just like urs. I got mine for 750 but came with a trailer. Mine looks just like urs used to white outside mine was green on the inside. Floor gone transom wood was just part way taken out. I got everything with the boat that i need to put it back together thou. Have gotten it painted floor in it painted console and seat sections in and painted. Just need to find the stainless steel screws I bought like 3 month's ago and I can finally get the transom wood back in it. I used marine grade plywood 5 sheets of 4x8 x 3/4 to do the floor and new tops of the seat sections. I still need to make the new gunwal runners cause the old ones r just way to rotten. I'm just ganna make them out of what's left of my plywood I had thought about makin them out of aluminum but that wood take to long. Ganna fab me up some pcs at work bend em and screw them into the front set of runners to make shelving for more storage. I am going to run 2 60 hp e-tecs on it mainly cause I have 1 brand new 1 in the garage. Can't wait I finally got all the hard stuff done and now I'm gettn to the fun stuff. Ganna post some pics of it if I can get this phone of mine to work like it should. Look forward to seeing urs done and good luck

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think that its cool boat u have gotten urself. Mines just like urs. I got mine for 750 but came with a trailer. Mine looks just like urs used to white outside mine was green on the inside. Floor gone transom wood was just part way taken out. I got everything with the boat that i need to put it back together thou. Have gotten it painted floor in it painted console and seat sections in and painted. Just need to find the stainless steel screws I bought like 3 month's ago and I can finally get the transom wood back in it. I used marine grade plywood 5 sheets of 4x8 x 3/4 to do the floor and new tops of the seat sections. I still need to make the new gunwal runners cause the old ones r just way to rotten. I'm just ganna make them out of what's left of my plywood I had thought about makin them out of aluminum but that wood take to long. Ganna fab me up some pcs at work bend em and screw them into the front set of runners to make shelving for more storage. I am going to run 2 60 hp e-tecs on it mainly cause I have 1 brand new 1 in the garage. Can't wait I finally got all the hard stuff done and now I'm gettn to the fun stuff. Ganna post some pics of it if I can get this phone of mine to work like it should. Look forward to seeing urs done and good luck

Welcome to Iboats!

Thanks for the comment about the boat. I definitely is a work in progress. Feel free to post up some pics of your boat. I would love to see them!

fshngho

Lieutenant

Isaac, I am sorry I didn't keep up but I wanted to tell you. When you ran the motor on the ears you were seeing the water pressure from the hose, not the impellar. You can never judge the impellar water flow nor the t-stats when on the ears. You must use a tank/tub or drop it in the water. First rule of getting an used OB, change water impellar and t-stats, never assume.
Boat is looking good sir, keep it up.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Isaac, I am sorry I didn't keep up but I wanted to tell you. When you ran the motor on the ears you were seeing the water pressure from the hose, not the impellar. You can never judge the impellar water flow nor the t-stats when on the ears. You must use a tank/tub or drop it in the water. First rule of getting an used OB, change water impellar and t-stats, never assume.
Boat is looking good sir, keep it up.

Thanks,

I am learning all of this. I pulled off the lower unit again and checked the impellar, it still is good as new.

I ordered a thermostat kit, and it has not shown up yet. As soon as it does I will replace all the gaskets, thermostat, pressure relief spring, everything in that housing. After that is done, i sure hope it works!

mark1961

Ensign

Thanks,

I am learning all of this. I pulled off the lower unit again and checked the impellar, it still is good as new.

I ordered a thermostat kit, and it has not shown up yet. As soon as it does I will replace all the gaskets, thermostat, pressure relief spring, everything in that housing. After that is done, i sure hope it works!

Was the impeller key still in place on the driveshaft?

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Was the impeller key still in place on the driveshaft?

Yes it was, And i double checked it before putting it all back together. I am really hoping the problem is in the thermostat housing.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

With water pouring out of those relief ports like that, something probably up with the stats.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The part that i dont understand is why would it pump lots of water on the hose, and then quit pumping water on the hose. It just confuses me to no end.

191Seanymphstriper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Because the presure from the hose from your home house presure was puching it threw! Did you blow air threw all the tubes to make sure there not blocked?

Also there are tubs that run threw the block to cool it. These can be blocked as well!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The part that i dont understand is why would it pump lots of water on the hose, and then quit pumping water on the hose. It just confuses me to no end.

Depending on the level of expertise from your mechanic friend........ run this thought by him.

If the deflectors are bad..... initially the motor will flow water around the heads and through the heads until it gets hot and then a deflector may fail.

You are not going to like this next statement but...... you should purchase new head gaskets (which are easier to install when you are doing the thermostats) AND new water deflectors. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=433802&highlight=deflectors

Deflectors are cheap but MANDATORY that they function right.

Once the heads are pulled it will give you a chance to make sure the passages are clear and give you a chance to see the cylinder walls.

The 100-110 psi you got from a compression check may go up after you get the motor running properly and do a substantial de-carb. Since the motor had been stored and sitting..... you might have carbon/oil build-up in the rings. A de-carb can help or totally cure that problem.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Depending on the level of expertise from your mechanic friend........ run this thought by him.

If the deflectors are bad..... initially the motor will flow water around the heads and through the heads until it gets hot and then a deflector may fail.

You are not going to like this next statement but...... you should purchase new head gaskets (which are easier to install when you are doing the thermostats) AND new water deflectors. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=433802&highlight=deflectors

Deflectors are cheap but MANDATORY that they function right.

Once the heads are pulled it will give you a chance to make sure the passages are clear and give you a chance to see the cylinder walls.

The 100-110 psi you got from a compression check may go up after you get the motor running properly and do a substantial de-carb. Since the motor had been stored and sitting..... you might have carbon/oil build-up in the rings. A de-carb can help or totally cure that problem.

Thanks Bob_vt

My mechanic has suggested doing this if replacing the Tstats does not help. I got the thermostat's this morning, so as soon as the rain lets up I will be going out there to replace those. I will keep everyone posted, (i know you are all in sitting on the edge of your seats right now:))

Thanks again to all who are helping me slowly figure all this stuff out.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I replaced the thermostats and everything else inside the housing. All new gaskets, gromets, pressure relief valves, the works.

I tested the old thermostats by boiling water on the stove. I used our digital food thermometer and watched the tempature. Both thermostats opened at 170 degrees and closed around 160 degrees. They seemed to be working just fine to me, so i don't know what was going on. maybe they got stuck open or something, and when i pulled them out they came unstuck.

Anyway, when i test the motor again I will let you know what happens.