1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

SnowHunter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

Dang, thats some sweeeeeeeeet lookin gear jas!! SCOOOOOOOOORE!!!!!

Um...but....errr...whatsa downrigger? :redface:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Dang, thats some sweeeeeeeeet lookin gear jas!! SCOOOOOOOOORE!!!!!

Um...but....errr...whatsa downrigger? :redface:

Thanks snow! Yah, in short, gets your line running deep where the fish are, eh!

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

Awesome hardware Jas! Your thread makes me wish I had walked into a tinny!!! I just love grinding!:rolleyes: The cuddy should be great on the big lakes too!

Later,
Terry

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Like Snow I have no idea what that stuff is but it sounds like a good deal!!! :D

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Like Snow I have no idea what that stuff is but it sounds like a good deal!!! :D

lol...I never used em..not my style of fishing..My tunas are always on top of the water..
BUT....

You use them cannonballs attached to some serious dacron line (on the spool of the downrigger)..You attach your baited mono (yes, spectre or what not..)
to the cannonball as well and the cannonball takes your bait down down a few hundred feet..Or wherever you think the fish are in the water column..

Just trolling your bait behind the boat only lets it "ski" behind the boat..With the downriggers...you can drag em deep.

SnowHunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Awesome hardware Jas! Your thread makes me wish I had walked into a tinny!!! I just love grinding!:rolleyes: The cuddy should be great on the big lakes too!

Later,
Terry
Yup, these guys gave me the "Tinny" disease somethin fierce! :D
Like Snow I have no idea what that stuff is but it sounds like a good deal!!!
HEYYYYYYY I aint the only one! :p

lol...I never used em..not my style of fishing..My tunas are always on top of the water..
BUT....

You use them cannonballs attached to some serious dacron line (on the spool of the downrigger)..You attach your baited mono (yes, spectre or what not..)
to the cannonball as well and the cannonball takes your bait down down a few hundred feet..Or wherever you think the fish are in the water column..

Just trolling your bait behind the boat only lets it "ski" behind the boat..With the downriggers...you can drag em deep.
Ahhh ok, well, you won't find me out fishin places that deep...sorry, Snowy would FREAK :eek: I aint fond of bein out on the water if I can't clearly see the bottom...one reason I didn't want to get a jon boat or bass boat Even standin on the shallow dock at our local lake scares the crap outta me :redface: Too many Jaws movies as a kid!

Jas, sorry for the hijack,, still think you got some REALLY nice lookin equipment there!! :D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Well...being a Huron angler myself of course I can appreciate those electric big johns:D

Congrats...and you claim to not know how to catch fish:confused:

Drag some spoons and J-plugs down there and you'll get some hits. And all the time you'll be tooling around having a blast on the islander watching the fish finder and whatnot.

Those rod holder combos look awesome, and you have plenty of room for all the hardware too. Well done.:)

paparoof

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey Jas, I know what downriggers are! They're the reason I'm shopping for a boat big enough for Superior!

Lovin' this thread. I almost lost it when I saw your boat dancing on the driveway. Totally something I'd do.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well...being a Huron angler myself of course I can appreciate those electric big johns:D

Congrats...and you claim to not know how to catch fish:confused:

Drag some spoons and J-plugs down there and you'll get some hits. And all the time you'll be tooling around having a blast on the islander watching the fish finder and whatnot.

Those rod holder combos look awesome, and you have plenty of room for all the hardware too. Well done.:)

Shoot, as if just buying gear makes me a fisherman, ha! All that rigging will do is serve as ornaments unless I actually drag something in with em!

Thanks buddy!

Hey, did you hear the bad news?

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=392602

Broadcast

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yo Jas! Great score on the hardware! Me likey!!! Nothing makes a boat look rigged for serious fish'in like some riggers and rocket launchers. I love this stuff!!! Boat's gonna look schweet with those on it!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yo Jas! Great score on the hardware! Me likey!!! Nothing makes a boat look rigged for serious fish'in like some riggers and rocket launchers. I love this stuff!!! Boat's gonna look schweet with those on it!

That carries some serious weight coming from you brotha!

Now when I actually get this old girl on the water I'll need ya to hop on board so you can show me what they are really capable of!

Cheers buddy!

Broadcast

Petty Officer 1st Class

That carries some serious weight coming from you brotha!

More fat jokes? ;) I guess the pictures don't lie! The camera does add 10 lbs ya know. I just didn't know they used so many camera's on me! Ha!

Don't let the "Captain Babysitter" title fool ya!

Love to go have some fun when you get'er done!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Now when I actually get this old girl on the water I'll need ya to hop on board so you can show me what they are really capable of!

They are capable of getting your lines deep enough to catch a monster like this one:D

(it's a 33lb Chinook my folks hauled out of Lake Michigan near Petoskey back in the day, 3rd biggest fish caught in the state in 1992;))

DSCF3135.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Now that is motivation my friend!!!:D

Gosh I need to find some time to get on this rig! I am so stinking busy this month!

I think I have decided to move on to the drive line once I finish the transom and Gluvit.

I debated painting first but I think I'd end up putting scratches and such into a new paint job! You know, with all the tools and the like that is associated with that sort of work.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Jas, don't let anyone fool ya...those down riggers are made for lake St. Clair, but don't fret none...you can come borrow my boat to use them anytime you like ;)

Score!!!...I'd say 'great score', but you haven't let us know if this expenditure is going to cost one of the kids their college education...
aren't they ridiculously over-priced new.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey Jas, don't let anyone fool ya...those down riggers are made for lake St. Clair, but don't fret none...you can come borrow my boat to use them anytime you like ;)

Score!!!...I'd say 'great score', but you haven't let us know if this expenditure is going to cost one of the kids their college education...
aren't they ridiculously over-priced new.

Gotta love my iboat friends always looking out for one another, eh!

Yah, that entire set up might have gone new somewhere in the neighborhood of what our current administration will spend during this term. That is why I never even had these on my radar! I am so pumped that these popped up and I was able to fit them into my Yankee blooded budget!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

More fat jokes? ;) I guess the pictures don't lie! The camera does add 10 lbs ya know. I just didn't know they used so many camera's on me! Ha!

Don't let the "Captain Babysitter" title fool ya!

Love to go have some fun when you get'er done!

Ahhh, guys like us - we are just "big boned" eh!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Ok, my only progress tonight...

I had my nose in one of the Merc manuals while at daughter bears swimming class. I had done some reading a while back and as of late I am spending more and more time in them.

Some stuff is pretty straight forward to comprehend. Other stuff, man I am just not sure I can pull off this transplant:confused:

I am second guessing my self tonight. I am wondering if I should just start saving my pennies to have the pros do it???

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't worry man, you can do it!!! Bounce to the I/O section if you have problems. My theory is that they can teach the avearage grease monkey to do this in a shop, and so if we as a owner go at it slowly, and with the guidance of those who know, there is no reason we can't do it. It is always more satisfying to do it yourself!

Terry