1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

:eek: you did that just to turture me, didn't you :redface::D

Encourage! Challenge! Prompt! Motivate! Absolutely! You know you want one.

Torture, oh, maybe that is just a bonus.:D

SnowHunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Encourage! Challenge! Prompt! Motivate! Absolutely! You know you want one.

Torture, oh, maybe that is just a bonus.:D

Oh, I do know :D Before the year is out, I WILL have one..if the job works out ;)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK all, would you like to have fun at another mans expense? Read on...

If you have been following along you probably know that I have two trailers. I needed to sell one of them or add a boat to justify both.

So I had a guy that wanted to come and check out the single axle, but the boat had to come off. I could have easily yanked it off and had it lay in the grass but I really wanted it to be off the trailer and in the garage. So, I attempted to kill two birds with one stone. Here is how things unfolded for me...

First I hooked up the rig to the little JD 110 and wrapped a rope around the Islander. I tied off the other end to a stout maple in the yard and started pulling. I really just wanted to get the rig started off of the trailer at this point. That little JD worked hard to get that big girl to move. Here is what that looked like...
P1010948.jpg

Got the rig all lined up to the garage...
P1010949.jpg

And backed her in...
P1010952.jpg

As you can see, with her sitting that far back on the trailer I couldn't back it up any further as I'd tear the windshield off. So I took the rope through the door and tied it off to another big ol maple...
P1010950.jpg

Set up a pair of rollers with spare tractor tires...
P1010951.jpg

Climbed on the little JD and started to pull. Yank, yank, yank. Right about at that point the fella drives up to look at the trailer. Also at that point I think my transmission goes out and the thing won't move! (What really happened was I inadvertently hit the parking brake just didn't realize it until after the fella left) So I unhook it drag the JD out of the way (with the tires locked up, not easy)

I end up pushing this thing off by hand and shimmying this trailer out from under neath. I know the guy thinks I am a knuckle head by now. Anyway, it's off and sitting like this...
P1010953.jpg

So far so good, well sort of. I do business with the fella and the trailer is sold. COOL!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

So then here is what I decide to do. I tied off a prusik knot, hooked up the come along and start dragging her in the garage...
P1010957.jpg

So I am running back and forth trying to keep the weight balanced right and keeping the rollers positioned correctly. All of the sudden...

WAAABAM!
P1010955.jpg

Balance shifted and she came over. Thankfully I wasn't under neath at that moment.

I got her lifted up, balanced correctly and started dragging again. And then...

BAMMM!
P1010954.jpg

I was laughing out loud at my self here! Man what a dummy! Too bad nobody was around to see what a doofis REALLY looks like.

She actually fell over two more times before I could get her to this point...
P1010958.jpg

I was sooooo thankful that I didn't have her in farther when she fell. I would have demolished that windshield!

Anyway, I got her lifted up, balanced and tucked into the garage without further incident, just some fancy footwork...
P1010965.jpg

P1010963.jpg

SnowHunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rollin here jas!!! Between the rope goin through the door to the trees, and your comical recount...lawdy lawdy!!! Its not funny! But at the same time, it is :D I think Ida cried if that was my boat!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Dude, that's even dumber than what I did to try to get my transom out (I'm not talking about that either). I thought the blue one was the nicer trailer?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Dude, that's even dumber than what I did to try to get my transom out (I'm not talking about that either). I thought the blue one was the nicer trailer?

OK, we don't have to talk about it.

Yup, the single axle was in better shape but I got more money out of it so it's all good. Had I sold the tandem I would have made less but had less work to do. The tandem will take a little more work to get ready but that is no sweat. I was totally neutral as to which one I sold.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Now that was a stressful little experience:eek:

Glad that windshield is still intact:D

Honestly, you should be very happy that you are keeping the double axle trailer. Your Islander is going to be pretty heavy when she's all finshed and fueled up.

What's next on the agenda? Ready to gluvit???

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow.....something to think about.... you will probably want to get it out of there before you start installing the deck and interior. The pounds add up quick.

I know how stressful it can be, i had my eyes closed while flipping my boat over for paint.

http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/ac41/cc190cc/

Chad

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Now that was a stressful little experience:eek:

Glad that windshield is still intact:D

Honestly, you should be very happy that you are keeping the double axle trailer. Your Islander is going to be pretty heavy when she's all finshed and fueled up.

What's next on the agenda? Ready to gluvit???

I did grit my teeth a few times during this fiasco but for the most part I was just laughing at myself!

I just kept thinking about good stuff...

sold the trailer made some money = good stuff
one less trailer on my property means less ghetto looking house and happy wife = good stuff
wife doesn't have to look at the "ghetto boat" in the side yard, she is happy = good stuff
rig fell total of four times on the pavement/gravel BEFORE I painted it = good stuff
windshield not obliterated = good stuff
boat where she needs to be for paint/gluvit = good stuff
had a good hearty laugh at myself = good stuff

I'd say my short list hasn't changed very much...

clean up my trashed workshop
build/install the transom boards
seal up the transom skin
clean the hull
then gluvit

Maybe on to painting the big girl then???

Maybe start looking at the Merc V6 driveline???

We shall see!

Andy in NY

Commander

all i can say is DAAAAYUMMMMM! that must have been an interesting experience!

bananaboater

Ensign

Laughing at yourself is the BEST medicine. I do it so often that I think I am going to live forever. :D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I was thinking that CBK would get a shot in here somewhere. I am pretty sure he owes me a few in order to settle up.

Triton II

Commander

Hmmm, interesting way to garage a boat... you're not a valet parking attendant by profession are you? :D

TII

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

That was awesome. I can't wait to see what you come up with to get her back out of the garage.

Andy in NY

Commander

Hmmm, interesting way to garage a boat... you're not a valet parking attendant by profession are you? :D

TII

ya i am surprised too! he's a little off his game lately... its like he's out to pasture...

:D

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I was thinking that CBK would get a shot in here somewhere. I am pretty sure he owes me a few in order to settle up.

Hey Jas..Sorry I missed all this..Wow..Glad everything is quasi normal.
Why dont you get a 2X12 or 2x6 (?) and cut a deep V in it..then get it under the keel to keep her from tipping on the way out..
On my Holiday I notched a 4X4, just deep enough to have the hull sit in there and not rock side to side.

you are a determined sob, I'll say that bro

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

TII

Nope, but they call me in when ever come alongs and interesting rope work is involved.

Appreciate the ribbing guys, warm, fuzzy on the inside!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey Jas..Sorry I missed all this..Wow..Glad everything is quasi normal.
Why dont you get a 2X12 or 2x6 (?) and cut a deep V in it..then get it under the keel to keep her from tipping on the way out..
On my Holiday I notched a 4X4, just deep enough to have the hull sit in there and not rock side to side.

you are a determined sob, I'll say that bro

Ah, you let me off easy there CBK!

I already hatched a plan to get her out nice and easy as she'll likely be painted up at that point!