1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

jas

good sense of humor, put a smile on my face reading. now you'll know if any one in your area reads Iboat they will all run when you approach the ramp or dock :D

I added a second line to my signature, I think some of you fellas (and snow) might agree, eh!

i didn't know that exsisted it will be a great ref. for me thanks jas and NB

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Side note...

I added a second line to my signature, I think some of you fellas (and snow) might agree, eh!

How about; Tin Can Alley
The Best Collection of Starcraft Boats on the Planet, Bar None

DUDE... You dropped your boat. Red Green would have chuckled at that one. It was like watching an ant colony stuff a caterpillar down their hole. I'm like no it can't be done, oh snap he did it. You earned my favorite smiley for that one

I didn't see any Sodium Chromate primer on the back. Did you use something different?

I'm jealous, I'm trying to figure out ohms law and draw pictures of colored wires on a boat drawing. You are rolling around in the mud with your boat. I love it. And the award for most entertaining resto thread goes to .....envolope please.........JASOUTSIDE!!!

SnowHunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

. And the award for most entertaining resto thread goes to .....envolope please.........JASOUTSIDE!!!

You got that right BD!!!!

Jas, humor aside, its been an great resto thread...glad you can laugh when somethin like that happens!!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

How about; Tin Can Alley
The Best Collection of Starcraft Boats on the Planet, Bar None

DUDE... You dropped your boat. Red Green would have chuckled at that one. It was like watching an ant colony stuff a caterpillar down their hole. I'm like no it can't be done, oh snap he did it. You earned my favorite smiley for that one

I didn't see any Sodium Chromate primer on the back. Did you use something different?

I'm jealous, I'm trying to figure out ohms law and draw pictures of colored wires on a boat drawing. You are rolling around in the mud with your boat. I love it. And the award for most entertaining resto thread goes to .....envolope please.........JASOUTSIDE!!!

Thanks bro, just haven fun is all.

Yup, I used self etching zinc chromate on there.

Rock On!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

You got that right BD!!!!

Jas, humor aside, its been an great resto thread...glad you can laugh when somethin like that happens!!

Yah, I was cracking myself up. When she rolled and crashed a third time I was laughing out loud saying "you've got to be kidding me!"

All in good fun!

Tell ya what, had that windshield smashed or that rig painted, I may have cried!

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Theres a small craft advisory calling for rough seas right at your house!

roughseas.gif

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

HAAAAHHAHAHHHHAHHAH!!!!!

I think I just wet a little!

CBK, I deserve every bit you can dish out buddy! That was super dooper stinking funny!

Though, the one thing I have going for me it that I don't have to scrape any cow chips off the bottom of mine, eh partner!:D

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

lol...
Glad ya liked it..Thats all I got..;)

No sense in beating a dead cow to death..well unless ya wanna have a hellofa BBQ!

Triton II

Commander

Awesome 'small craft advisory' CBK, big smiles for us on a warm Sunday morning! :D

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ho crap, that circus show makes me wonder of we're related!!! :D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Ho crap, that circus show makes me wonder of we're related!!! :D

Huh, so you do totally ridiculous, hair brained, costly, idiotic, near death stunts too, eh!

BROTHER!

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Someday I'll have to tell you about the time I welded two light bars (some call 'em roll bars - but made from real thin metal) in the back of the '77 ford f150, with two 8' aluminum beams from one to the other, and hung chain hoists off each one, attached to the stern eyes of my wellcraft to lift it off...put so much weight on the back of the truck I had to put wood blocks between the leaf springs and the frame...and that was all to get it off the trailer...next came flipping it, er, more like "rolling it" over so I could sand the bottom!

...yep, it must be in our blood...and I bet we have a lot more kin around here that just aren't admitting to it!

:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well I got a lot done today, just not a lot on the Islander. I cleaned and organized the garage to be much more of a "boat shop". I hung up a couple of shelves to stack a bunch of stuff on, that sort of thing. Pretty well took the entire day besides church this morning. I still have to do the same to my workshop before I can really get that transom built, it's trashed in there.

I also took a swing at the windshield too. I have avoided taking it off as I was thinking it would be a ton of work and for whatever reason I thought I had to drill out a bunch of rivets for the track, and on and on. Well, it ended up being really pretty easy! I didn't remember reading how any of you fellas did it, but, here is what I did. Sorry, my camera battery was dead at the time I did it so I didn't get shots of the actual process.

I unscrewed the farthest out screw on both side windows. Then just shimmeyed the starboard side straight up out of the track and other window runner.

Then I unscrewed and removed the inner and outer trim pieces that hold the two middle windows together. I had no idea how the middle windshields were held in place so I started torquing them straight up. Yah, that's not how they come out! I figured out that they just slide out the side of the boat! First I slid the starboard window out the starboard side. Then I went over to the port side and removed the side window. Then the port windshield slid straight out the port side.

Sorry, I am sure that I didn't explain that very well.

Track for the side windows...
P1010975.jpg

Track for the windshields...
P1010974.jpg

Windshield off...
P1010970.jpg

P1010967.jpg

Anyway, having that off will make my life so much easier when it comes to prep and paint work!!!

Got the epoxy from US Composits while I was out of town, cool!
P1010968.jpg

I also picked up these at Menards, $6 each, good deal eh!
P1010971.jpg

I am thinking that 28 gallon V bottom aluminum tank will work great for most everything that I plan on doing. But for big days of long runs or tubing I can fill up these three guys and add another 15 gallons. I checked and they fit perfect in my bow hatch with still tons of room in there for flotation.

Happy Sunday Guys!

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer

Huh, so you do totally ridiculous, hair brained, costly, idiotic, near death stunts too, eh!

BROTHER!

Hold my beer and watch this.

Famous last words of a redneck.LOLOLOL

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Glad to hear she rode out the storm! And if you haven't used that epoxy, your gonna luv it...it's what I used on the Imperial and it worked real well, spread/saturated easily...think I used 7 gals? total, stringers deck & transom...just stay near by until she kicks off good, to watch for air pockets.

Glad to see you got around to removing that glass as well ;)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Great day today!

I landed a pair of Big Jon Captain's Pak Electric Downriggers!

Check it out, two downriggers...
P1010986.jpg

Two dual rod holders with ball cradle...
P1010995.jpg

Two mounting bases...
P1010991.jpg

Two swivel bases...
P1010992.jpg

Three cannon balls...
P1010996.jpg

One extension (each of the arms already have two on them)...
P1010997.jpg

I also got all the wiring and stainless mounting hardware too!

All of this gear is in excellent shape (nearly new) and I got the whole set up for a super huge bargain! Extra bonus, made right here in Michigan! I have been really thinking that downriggers would be another couple years out as they are so very expensive. Prohibitive expensive. I am pumped that these can now be part of the rebuild.

Now check this out...

I got these form a fella by the name of Charlie. Absolutely a great guy and a true gentleman! He ended up driving clear from the north Detroit area to my work to deliver these! No extra charge! He arrived to the minute when he said he would be there! He packaged them up and padded everything just for the ride in his car! He even labeled stuff! Met his wife, and she was wonderful too!

Now this is big...

We loaded my truck and settled up. He handed me his business card. Hand wrote his home address, home phone, cell phone on there. He said, "If you have any problem at all let me know and I'll be happy to refund you your money." He meant it too, I know he did. These rigs are in excellent shape and I have full faith that they will run totally perfect.

How fantastic is was to work with a super high quality guy, great day!

Charlie, if you are reading this, thank you very much sir! It was a pleasure and an honor, thanks!