1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

With iboats supply & support, don't see how you could go wrong doing it yourself, plus you'll have the satisfaction of knowing what was done and that it was done correctly ;) You'll do fine!!!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Don't worry man, you can do it!!! Bounce to the I/O section if you have problems. My theory is that they can teach the avearage grease monkey to do this in a shop, and so if we as a owner go at it slowly, and with the guidance of those who know, there is no reason we can't do it. It is always more satisfying to do it yourself!

Terry

With iboats supply & support, don't see how you could go wrong doing it yourself, plus you'll have the satisfaction of knowing what was done and that it was done correctly ;) You'll do fine!!!

Thanks for the vote of confidence fellas! I know that to have it installed it would be roughly $1000 to $1200 range. Add in parts and labor for bellows, seals, u joints, fluids and whatever other misc. routine maintenance items that need to be handled would bring that cost to over $2000 easy. Maybe much more. Not in the cards for me right now.

I'll give it a shot and hope that between the manuals and the great help around here I can make it happen. I think one of the big things that will help me get my bearings is the simple matter of pulling this drive line off of the old Baja transom. I think taking it all apart, along with great documentation and photos as I wrench, will go a long way in getting my legs under me.

I did nose around online looking at OB's again last night, just like I was a couple of months ago. Helped me remember why I chose this direction in the first place! A good OB is BIG MONEY BABY!

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did nose around online looking at OB's again last night, just like I was a couple of months ago. Helped me remember why I chose this direction in the first place! A good OB is BIG MONEY BABY!

...and tough to find!

Don't forget to get yourself an alignment tool (special made big steel rod with one end machined down to a smaller diameter), and read up on how to apply grease, insert, then read the grooves in the grease. I used to have one and the directions in the shop manuals are pretty interesting...especially the grease part which is supposed to help determine if the motor is perfectly aligned with the transom collar thing. I believe the idea is to make sure you have perfect alignment from the hub attached to the crankshaft/flywheel, through the transom, so when you put the outdrive shaft through the transom and into the hub, it is perfectly straight.

You can do it, just take your time.

:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

...and tough to find!

Don't forget to get yourself an alignment tool (special made big steel rod with one end machined down to a smaller diameter), and read up on how to apply grease, insert, then read the grooves in the grease. I used to have one and the directions in the shop manuals are pretty interesting...especially the grease part which is supposed to help determine if the motor is perfectly aligned with the transom collar thing. I believe the idea is to make sure you have perfect alignment from the hub attached to the crankshaft/flywheel, through the transom, so when you put the outdrive shaft through the transom and into the hub, it is perfectly straight.

You can do it, just take your time.

:)

Yah, that whole process is something I can actually wrap my head around. I have read a ton in the IO section, bunch in the manual, watched vids, the works. Now, to actually make it happen is another story, but, I got the concept.

I was just getting ready to pull the trigger on an alignment bar off eBay. Seems like they are very reasonable there.

Though, using it is quite a ways into the transplant! If I can even make it to that point I'll be pumped!!!

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

No worries mate, we'll be with you every step of the way...and hopefully in the right direction???

:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

No worries mate, we'll be with you every step of the way...and hopefully in the right direction???

:D

Thanks a bunch ts! I am glad that yall will be right there with me, hopelessly lost, hungry, cold, broke, more hungry...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well, I did get just a smidge of forward progress tonight...

Inner transom skin cleaned...
P1020005.jpg

Primed...
P1020008.jpg

Painted...
P1020011.jpg

That might not have been totally necessary but as long as I am here what the heck. It sure can't hurt anything I suppose.

I also decided to take out the aluminum stringers. I don't have any idea why I didn't do this earlier! Man what a meat head. I have been tripping over them and cutting my ankles for quite a while now, sheesh! Took me all of about 5 minutes to have them out! Most of the rivets were already loose or missing all together. It will probably take me all of about 10 minutes to get them back in for the deck after I Gluvit. Should have done that sooner!

Having them out of the way will make my life so much easier when I get to cleaning this hull and then laying the Gluvit! Way easier!

Before...
P1020012.jpg

After...
P1020013.jpg

Cheers!

magnumdeke

Chief Petty Officer

Good work and hell of a thread, been following it closely, got to love the progress, hopefully I will see it on the water soon

Golden Arrow II

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah those big johns are nice, I got two on my boat and would like two more. There customer service is top notch. Get yourself a track system for mounting then you can take the riggers,and more rod holders off when not in use.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Good work and hell of a thread, been following it closely, got to love the progress, hopefully I will see it on the water soon

Hey, thanks for stopping by magnum! Cheers!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yeah those big johns are nice, I got two on my boat and would like two more. There customer service is top notch. Get yourself a track system for mounting then you can take the riggers,and more rod holders off when not in use.

Yah I am with ya! I full intend to mount those Bert Custom Tackle 4' Tracks. Those are expensive too so I have been searching for a deal on em!

Rock on!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey guys, I have a question on my trailer...

So I have a tilt model apparently. I have never owned such an animal. I am wondering if I even care that it tilts? I am wondering if I should weld it up to make it fixed?

Check it out...

So, you take this bolt out, the tongue comes out of the channel and she tilts, eh? I am thinking that I may want the whole seam there to be welded up.
P1020015.jpg

Here is the pivot point. I am thinking that I may want that all welded up too.
P1020016.jpg

What will I be missing if I weld it all up?? Maybe I am over thinking. A couple of new Grade 8 bolts would give me piece of mind too probably.

What do you guys think?

Boy, this trailer sure looks rough eh! Ah, it'll look like new when I am done, no sweat.

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was pretty iffy on mine too when I redid the trailer. I ended up rebuilding the tilt with new bolts, and keeping the tilt. I don't expect to use it, I've made it this far in my boat launching career without needing to tilt a trailer, and have never seen someone use it at the ramp, but I just couldn't take a feature away from myself!

My theory, since my '67 has the original trailer under it, is it made it 40+ years without the tilt separating. If i redo it right, it shouldn't have any new issues!

Terry

Andy in NY

Commander

i never expected to use the tilt on mine... till i went camping last summer and this was the launch...

1251718617.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You ain't gonna be tilting off no friggin' Islander :eek:

For Andy's boat I would think it could be a sweet feature.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

For Andy's boat I would think it could be a sweet feature.

Too right there buddy! Never even crossed my mind that I'd be tilting at the dock. Shoot, if I am needing to tilt at the dock to get this girl in the water I have real issues! I'd be beached as soon as I pull the trailer out!:eek:

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree! The water line is so shallow as it is all you have to do is get the back wet and she'll float off. I have a full roller trailer so it will be a drive on drive off trailer. The bunk trailers are more tricky because they don't self align as you drive it on.

5 speed

Golden Arrow II

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Try shopping around on the net but Franks in Linwood and Northwoods outlet in Pinconning have the tracks and lots of accessories for it in stock. They both have online shopping but they might not be the cheapest.