1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

bear_69cuda

Commander
Re: 1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

Sweet kicker doooooood!

Where are you gonna store the fuel for it?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Nice one, Jason. It runs! :D You're 99% there and the other 1% is probably gummed carb or fuel pump. I saw the destruction manual. Throw that in the wood stove - you don't want to be confused by mere "official" words. LOL

jbcurt00

Staff member

I am unfamiliar...please do tell!
The owner of this fine establishment has a somewhat shady reputation in his dealings with fiberglass boats. The Islander lives & breathes because of the self-less sacrifice of dearly departed 'Thumper' of this 4.3L. It turns out the motor had 1 heck of a loud knock, and may have thumped under way. Another glasser entered the property and was never seen again. I won't post the carnage of that. But 1 of the departed also gave it's trailer to this project.

Once the deed is done, they gather into a circle & do the 'happy I cut up a glasser' dance:

I will have to come back to this, can find the photo I need...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Is this what you are looking for JB....

P1000846.jpg

See I'm a huge fan of Baja's! I love em!!!:D:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Nice score on the kicker!

Thanks buddy, I'm pretty happy with the find:)

:DGood Score Jay, but I Really don't think you want a 2 stroke on the back of your boat. You should let me store that on the back of my boat for you. I have a bracket already on mine so I won't have to to any fab work, and there is a place on mine to put the gas tank. That way its not taking up valuable space in your garage for the rest of the build, or have to deal with all that smelly 2 stroke exhaust on the back of your boat.;)

I'll swing by tomorrow and get it out of your way

Thanks for looking out for me GAII! Always looking to give me a hand eh buddy;)

Truth be told, I'll sell this and a 4 stroke will take it's place in due time. Maybe a year or two. Or, whenever I can score a sweet deal on one.

Where are you gonna store the fuel for it?

Yah, as if I didn't have enough problems right:rolleyes::facepalm:

I do believe I have a plan, looks like I'll need to revise some of my previous thoughts and maybe make a bit of a compromise. Hang tight and I'll post up some thoughts/photos on that later.

Today was an unbelievable day here in Michigan! Absolutely beautiful! Sunny and, oh I dunno, 50 degrees maybe??

I took advantage and spent the day cutting wood. Here's a quick carpy phone video...

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I was also wondering about where you would store the two stroke mix. I am probably going to buy a 15hp 4 stroke for my Islander.
Did you run dual pickups?

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

There's no way I'm offended, I owe no allegiance to any one boat brand/production philosophy, while I love my Baja (unique, to a degree) there are more than 10 different brands/styles I would own (yes, to include a SC!); however, I'm not much of a fisherman (I mean I can cuss and drink beer) and I own fishing gear (mostly to put on a front to the wife and kids early season, so I can take off to the lake w/o them). I just love boating and all things summer (camping, outdoors, hiking, etc...)

I'll wait patiently for you to splash your SC and share a long distance cheers to yet another fine restore...as one boat dies (R.I.P. Thumper) another is reborn.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Exhibit 1, THE CARNAGE:
OK, so I loaded up the old Islander dog house, nasty carpet and the lower hull sections of Thumper into my trailer - off to their final resting place...
P1010080.jpg

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

In Conclusion:
The dance is a shameful display really, not unlike some of the endzone performances we can expect tomorrow in Indy. Except here, there are no penalty flags thrown. Sure there's a few yellow cards, and an occasional red card, maybe a loss of yardage or 2, but there will be no eviction from the game calls. The sacrifice of a hull, or 2, will be tolerated as long as the results justify the hacking of our brethren to bits.:facepalm:

And as you so aptly put it:

...as one boat dies (R.I.P. Thumper) another is reborn.

Bigger, better & well executed. This project gets the 'Glassers stamp of approval. Legal docs pending, Pmccraney is, hopefully, still trying to rinse the glass dust, from a long productive glassing session today, off him, his computer & just about everything else in the shop:D

I now pour out a bit of resin, and tip a 40oz to all our lost brothers! Peace be upon you, and maybe in 172 yrs they'll find a use for the toxic waste ye have become, and you may then return as a new & improved benefit to society:
hoverwing.jpg

Cheers fellas

Have a great Sat pm & all day Sun. Hope your team wins if you've still got a dog in the fight!

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Truth be told, I'll sell this and a 4 stroke will take it's place in due time. Maybe a year or two. Or, whenever I can score a sweet deal on one.
Great score on the 15hp 'Rude! I'd keep the 2 stroke if I wanted to move it around easily! My 15hp 4 stroke Merc is pretty much a two man job unless you just like killing your back and donating to your local chiropractor.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I was also wondering about where you would store the two stroke mix. I am probably going to buy a 15hp 4 stroke for my Islander.
Did you run dual pickups?

Well, the main engine has dual fuel tanks to pull from (sub deck). For the kicker I'll just have a small portable tank.

A 4 Stroke would certainly have an advantage by just pulling fuel off the main tank rather than having to cart along an extra portable.

There's no way I'm offended.

Whew! By the sound of your handle (screen name) I though you might be coming for me:eek:

Glad we can still be buds here on iboats:)

Have a great Sat pm & all day Sun

Backattcha JB!

Great score on the 15hp 'Rude! I'd keep the 2 stroke if I wanted to move it around easily! My 15hp 4 stroke Merc is pretty much a two man job unless you just like killing your back and donating to your local chiropractor.

Yah I hear ya on that. If I find that the OB will end up living on there than I may go for the 4 Stroke. If I find I want to take it off/on than the 2 Stroke will likely stay. Only time will tell how I use the kicker set up. I have a hunch I'll be using it a bunch for walleye on the Huron side and not at all for Salmon/Steelhead on the Michigan side.

Cheers buddy:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

K, no work on the Islander this a.m., stacked a mountain of wood.

But, here are my thoughts on batt/2 stroke fuel tank set up...

I threw an additional 4x4 under the port side batt bringing it up a little higher...
P1080057.jpg

Which means it sits higher and further back. By the time I finish out the stern gunwale it'll sit flush...
P1080058.jpg

Okeedoke. I can live with that. I could put the kicker fuel tank (3 gal) in front of the engine and that would be fine.

But here's my problem. On the starboard side the power steering assembly pushes the batt way out...
P1080059.jpg

Rats. No good, no go.

3 possible solutions:

1. Stack the two batts (going higher now) on the port side and install the kicker on the starboard side to distribute the weight. Kicker fuel tank in front of the engine, helm seat boxes serve as tackle storage/fish box.

2. Keep the batts in front of the engine. Find/buy a tank for the kicker small enough to be installed at the port side transom (this may be tough). Helm seat boxes serve as tackle storage/fish box.

3. Move the batts up to the hem seat boxes, kicker tank (3 gal) goes in front of the engine. I'd lose some storage for tackle n such up there at the helm area, which would be a bummer, but reasonable.

Hmmmmmm....

K....

When I type it all out like that I do believe I like the third option best actually.

All right, I need to be done yakking about all this stuff. I know you guys are growing weary of it (me too).

On deck, helm seat/storage boxes. I'm clean out of epoxy so time to order another batch from US Composites.

Have a great Sunday guys!:)

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think I would go for option 3, but with the kicker tank where and how you've got the diehard battery in the picture, on the stern raised up for toe space.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I think I would go for option 3, but with the kicker tank where and how you've got the diehard battery in the picture, on the stern raised up for toe space.

Yah, I like your thinking here. If I can fit the 3 gal tank in at the transom I'll likely go that route. But, I do believe it'll be a little too wide. We'll see.:)

Edit: Nope, not gonna fit.

maddiedog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yah, I like your thinking here. If I can fit the 3 gal tank in at the transom I'll likely go that route. But, I do believe it'll be a little too wide. We'll see.:)

Edit: Nope, not gonna fit.
You are right about the kicker for eyes and not salmon. The good news is you don't need to be leaning over the back for eyes since you don't use riggers . This gives you the option of putting the tank back there. It is a little annoying but not horrible.

Golden Arrow II

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The good news is you don't need to be leaning over the back for eyes since you don't use riggers.

What?:eek:
I think what you ment to say, is that maddiedog dosen't use riggers for eyes.

More people than you think use them on the bay.
I use them in the bay for eyes, not everytime out but if they are on the boat from a salmon trip I'll use them. I rig them up with all sorts of tackle but mainly use them to get shallow running light action stick baits down deep on the days the bite is slow. You would be supprized how many fish you can get this way when you think nothing is biting and its time to go home. You should give it a try.