1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

Golden Arrow II

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

Uh, sweet! So long as I'm standing on your rig, we might as well haul it to the bay and run a few lines off the back:)

I have no problem taking you out on the boat, I'm usually looking for someone to take out with me. I have enough kids sized life jackets that your little ones could come too. Just got to wait for the bay to open up enough to get out there safely. With the weather we have been having it might not be to long of a wait, maybe a month or so but who knows :rolleyes: it is Michigan. But this spring and summer I'll have a spot for ya if you want it, and you won't have to worry about tackle and that stuff I got it all. Just have to bring your lunch and drinks. I won't promise we'll catch any fish, but it will be a good time.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Boss,

Don't pay much mind to my randomness...

But if I was in your position, and the areas on both sides of the doghouse were not critical for fishing (mainly the free-board) One could possibly raise a deck off both sides of the doghouse. Below these decks could be used for stashing stuff..... (fuel for 2 stroke, batteries, rope) Then you can sit (removable jump seats), and stand on your cool raised casting decks when seat pads removed.

If it does matter, then I would extend the center area for seating, batteries, and possibly kicker fuel...

Don't listen to me brutha.... I'm just typin ideas....

talltx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Howdy Jas. Glad you like the drawing. What about a shelf or box outboard next to your kicker for the gas can? It keeps it handy for refilling and avoids any spills in your boat. Can you convert a Jerry can into a gas tank and mount it using a Jerry can mount like you see on jeeps? Food for thought.

maddiedog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What?:eek:
I think what you ment to say, is that maddiedog dosen't use riggers for eyes.

More people than you think use them on the bay.
I use them in the bay for eyes, not everytime out but if they are on the boat from a salmon trip I'll use them. I rig them up with all sorts of tackle but mainly use them to get shallow running light action stick baits down deep on the days the bite is slow. You would be supprized how many fish you can get this way when you think nothing is biting and its time to go home. You should give it a try.
my bad! I do use them with spoons. Hey another thought would be just set your gas can on the dog house while trolling.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Howdy Jas. Glad you like the drawing. What about a shelf or box outboard next to your kicker for the gas can? It keeps it handy for refilling and avoids any spills in your boat. Can you convert a Jerry can into a gas tank and mount it using a Jerry can mount like you see on jeeps? Food for thought.

That's a great idea!

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Boss,

Don't pay much mind to my randomness...

But if I was in your position, and the areas on both sides of the doghouse were not critical for fishing (mainly the free-board) One could possibly raise a deck off both sides of the doghouse. Below these decks could be used for stashing stuff..... (fuel for 2 stroke, batteries, rope) Then you can sit (removable jump seats), and stand on your cool raised casting decks when seat pads removed.

If it does matter, then I would extend the center area for seating, batteries, and possibly kicker fuel...

+1,..........

I think that is what I was thinking, But thinking about it I didn't think I would be able to put it in words,...

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

As to the kicker,...

Myself I would use it for all of my trolling just to keep hours off the big motor,....Kickers are way cheaper to fix or replace,....

bear_69cuda

Commander

Sorta like this...

jse_boat_010.jpg

jse_boat_031.jpg

jse_08MAR09_059.jpg

jse_08MAR09_060.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

but it will be a good time.

You know what would be a good time? Having both our boats heading out of the mouth of the river ready for hunting walleye. That would be great:)

Can you convert a Jerry can into a gas tank and mount it using a Jerry can mount like you see on jeeps? Food for thought.

Yah, I'd need to think on that. If I could find something tall and narrow that would be good.

As to the kicker,...

Myself I would use it for all of my trolling just to keep hours off the big motor,....Kickers are way cheaper to fix or replace,....

Bah, that Merc V6 was made to roll along for days on end;)

Sorta like this...

I like chewing the fat with you bear, good visuals man:)

Yah, I carefully considered going this route too but I really want to be able to stand all the way back to the stern gunwale there. The other thing is I don't really want to build in all that structure back there (blocks drainage and makes it tough to get to the IO, ya know).

I think what I'll do is see if I can find a narrow/tall 3 gal tank to fit in at the transom there. If I can't, no biggie, I can set it in front of the dog house. I have a long time before I need to start building that (should be one of the latter things I have to do actually).

Thanks a lot for the input guys!:D

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Jason, maybe I missed something but why not put the batteries as Starcraft had them? Just make some removable jump seats. I know they may stick out as you cut the transom back but it would work ok if the batteries were boxed.
islander battery.jpgislander seat.jpg

64osby

Admiral

Completely off subject,

every time I see the Arby's commercial with the guy on a boat in the parking lot wearing a took, For some reason I think Of Jas.

Back to your regular scheduled programming.

rrumba

Ensign

hey JO, how about sinking them in back deck area, sub mount that would leave just a few inches above the deck and a lil kik box cover for the tops? just a thougth.

sprintst

Commander

You guys have me looking at those small outboard tanks now too. I hate the mess the other tanks leave behind so maybe this is the way to go. I was looking at small outboards with internal tanks but are really too small to be of use on bigger boats.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

or how bout this one?

Well, that one there looks like it's actually made to sit flat I think.

I think I figured out how to post the link to the dog house drawing I made.http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=f2305938b613e4639fdea4e570802c3 Yep, it works.

If you have an account it does.

View attachment 132005

K tall, I see that ya made a hinged access at the front there. Kinda, sorta what I was thinking was that I would hinge it so the whole white section (in your mock up there) would lift/rock/tilt froward (hinged at the bow side). Like the hood of a snow machine might ya know. Then I'd have the entire dog house on rollers so I could just roll the whole thing out of the way.

If any of that makes sense:rolleyes:

hey JO, how about sinking them in back deck area, sub mount that would leave just a few inches above the deck and a lil kik box cover for the tops? just a thougth.

I already crossed that bridge. Actually waaaaay back last winter when I cut a section out of the deck, then decided to put it back in.:facepalm:

I don't have enough room sub deck to go on each side of the engine.

I was looking at small outboards with internal tanks but are really too small to be of use on bigger boats.

Yah, I really would rather go this route but a 6 horse (with internal tank) I fear would just not have enough guts with any sort of wind/waves.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Jason, maybe I missed something but why not put the batteries as Starcraft had them? Just make some removable jump seats. I know they may stick out as you cut the transom back but it would work ok if the batteries were boxed.

Well, see, I have this issue in my head. I really don't like the weight being so high and to the outside of the boat. I really think big hunks of lead should be as low and close to the center line as possible.

Maybe I'm making more of it than I should, hmmm.

But! Thanks for posting up that photo!

islanderbattery.jpg

That is exactly what I was thinking for the jump seats:)

Now, as for the storage compartments at the stern, I love them, big time! I'll need to take another look at my setup to see how much room I have to work with.

If I can fit reasonable sized compartments along with the rigging (especially the vent hoses) awesome. If I can fit compartments bit enough to house the batts, uh, hmm, I may just do that. Maybe.