1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

If I could join the crowd & NOT drink the Kool-Aide, :Dthis would definitely my submission for consideration w/ my membership application:

1950's Aero Craft:cool::cool::cool:

Does the Jas & Son's Boatworks have a vintage tin section?

ez, trucker & a few others would all love to see an OB on the property... Tiller is optional of course.....................

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks dooods!!!

-----------------------------------------------

Success!!!!

BUTTA!!!:D:D

Sweet.You got off easy on that one.The boat gods are smiling upon you today.Don't quit working while the boat gods are smiling upon you.It will make for a bad next work day. :D

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Ricohman, it is in one of the videos about 4 or 5 back. What parts of the province are you from?

What's this about sea trials, Git Er Done
Glen

I am east of Regina. My favorite lakes are Diefenbaker and Long Lake. Which kind of explains my choice of boat. I hope to get to Lac La Ronge later this year. Haven't been up there in at least 10 years.

talltx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Morning Jason. I'm happy for ya Man!!! Even I could follow your explanation.Good videos. You're very methodical and that's what ya need to be with so many steps to follow. I suggest putting something like NEVERSEEZ (sp) on the threads of the front hight adjustment bolts because you won't want any problems when you adjust you're alignment each season. That's a nasty environment down there in the bilge.Glad to see those lags draw down like they did.:) Have a great Sunday.

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Now that I am completely up to date on the rebuild I have another question which is a bit of a hijack.
The remote oil drain is a great idea. Is this a kit?
Could I adapt something like this to my 2011 Islander 221 4.3? It would be nice to drain the oil out the back of the boat rather than sucking out of the inside.

Yah, I think it'll save me some work and mess.

http://www.jmsonline.net/oil-drain-kits.htm

You just have to make sure you have enough clearance to install it in the oil pan and be sure of the thread size.

Jas - LOVE the tube of Bond-o grease. HaHa.

:D

That is some cool vintage alum ^^^

Sweet.You got off easy on that one.

I'll tell ya what, overall, in the grand scheme of things, as a total absolute rookie wannabe Marine Tech who has never even touched an engine made for a boat prior to this project - I think this has gone pretty darn well, eh:):)

Morning Jason. I'm happy for ya Man!!! Even I could follow your explanation.Good vidios. You're very mathodical and that's what ya need to be with so many steps to follow. I suggest putting something like NEVERSEEZ (sp) on the threads of the front hight adjustment bolts because you won't want any problems when you adjust you're alignment each season. That's a nasty enviroment down there in the bilge.Glad to see those lags draw down like they did.:) Have a great Sunday.

Thanks tx! I'm just about to go out and finish up the last couple of steps of the bolt down;)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Alrighty, the Mercruiser 4.3 V6 is mounted! This is a big day!

It's in!

Ah, but I still have a whole ton of rigging to accomplish eh? One foot in front of the other;)

Have an awesome Sunday guys:)

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander
Let me be the first to say congrats. That is a big deal! That power is going to be nice for that boat. Have a great Sunday.

maddiedog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a little wiring and plumbing and some touch up paint and you're all set!

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Glad to see your past that huge milestone!!!!
Thanks for the vids bud.

jbcurt00

Staff member

If I could join the crowd & NOT drink the Kool-Aide, :Dthis would definitely my submission:

That is some cool vintage alum ^^^

Yes it is, & it seems someone up in your neck of the woods is posting pre-purchase questions to the forum. The boats in Eagle, MI (??) & I hope the guy scores a good deal, it is a nice looking boat. Looks like the interior has been changed up some for fishing, but the hull's lines are definitely good looking, just needs a 'correct' looking windshield. Maybe a 1955 not the listed 1950 AreoCraft......

And now, back to the Islander show already in progress:

Great to see ya flying through the motor install! You'll have another cold weather, brisk & in your face splash date soon. ALthough the rigging might be a little more detailed & complex on this setup then for the Jet w/ an OB.

(insert snide OB comment here Ez...):rolleyes:

Doing good work for a:
... a total absolute rookie wannabe Marine Tech who has never even touched an engine made for a boat prior to this project

Have a great Sunday, might as well be afternoon for ya, up at 4a & out at 9p. It's after lunch for you I figure............:facepalm:

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

If I could join the crowd & NOT drink the Kool-Aide, :Dthis would definitely my submission for consideration w/ my membership application:

Does the Jas & Son's Boatworks have a vintage tin section?

ez, trucker & a few others would all love to see an OB on the property... Tiller is optional of course.....................

I thought I heard someone type tiller yesterday!!!!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Nice! Major Accomplishment! da Merc is in da House!:D

dozerII

Admiral

Good Job Jason, that there is a large hurdle over and done with, What next on the dinner plate?

Glen

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for stopping by fellas! Yah, I'm pretty pumped that Merc is locked down and dialed in:D It was a pretty slow process but I'm feeling pretty good about how she's sitting in there.

Well, I think from here I'll be kinda working on a variety of things I spose. I'm thinking I'll slowly plug away with all the rigging on the Merc. When I'm stumped, confused, and/or waiting for parts I'll spend time on getting the interior looking more boat like:)

I have thoughts of a swim platform too...

Just need to keep the blades turning;)

InMotion

Commander

Terrific job jas!!! Enjoy your Sunday as well.... You'be earned it! Looking forward to see progress on the next phase.

64osby

Admiral

Jason, Wow, that is fantastic, congrats. Great work and vids.

Your patience and attention to detail is tremendous.

Watching you really instills the notion that I want to remain an OB guy.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks osby, appreciated buddy! Yah, I can't say that I blame ya man. Honestly, if I had real money I'd be hanging a pair of these on a bracket back there...

4f0baaee662da8f16a6e36f0e.jpg

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander
Jas, not the time or place for a debate, but i think you'll love the sound and power of that I/o. Pita to install but hopefully better longevity since your power plant is essentially out of the elements...clean lines on the transom too...let's not lose sight of the fact that you accomplished an omc to merc conversion...very few of those on here and I know how hard of a job that is... You saved a beautiful boat in the process...great work on a tedious and hard job...you are giving me motivation to see mine through.. Kudos my friend!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I hear ya mccraney, gotta agree with ya buddy:)

Yur right, this is an OMC to Merc conversion isn't it? Oh sheesh, who would tackle such a ridiculous project:confused: Smart boat builders would avoid such foolishness eh?

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

You make it look so easy that I had fleeting thoughts of looking for a donor to convert the AC to an I/O.