1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

It looks to me that the planned Easter splash shouldn't be a problem!!!!

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nice work Jason. With what you've done on this boat and the Jet, I don't think you'll have any difficulty with the wiring etc of the merc. You've definitely got the patience and resources to get it done. Now go have some pie!

TundraRocks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Side note...

Yesterday, I hatched my plan for snap in carpet on this Islander and the Jet. I am pretty pumped, good quality stuff at bottom feeder $$$. Stay tuned for that;):D

Looking forward to hearing your idea on this. I've been thinking about a number of different options but not many are "bottom feeder $$$ ideas." Probably thinking too much into it.

Great job on the engine install.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I like the grease tube in the second video that says AYUH MY GREASE. You know, any grease is better, than no grease at all.....:D

sprintst

Commander

Sweet setup man. That's going to be one fast solid boat.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Smart boat builders would avoid such foolishness eh?
Yep they build glassers.
Great job man I cant wait to see this beauty tearing some water up. Don't tell my glasser buddies they will ban me from the club. Have a great week man.

talltx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

She's lookin good. Check my thread. I left you a message there. oops, lost track of where I was.:redface:

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for stopping by fellas! Yah, I'm pretty pumped that Merc is locked down and dialed in:D It was a pretty slow process but I'm feeling pretty good about how she's sitting in there.

Well, I think from here I'll be kinda working on a variety of things I spose. I'm thinking I'll slowly plug away with all the rigging on the Merc. When I'm stumped, confused, and/or waiting for parts I'll spend time on getting the interior looking more boat like:)

I have thoughts of a swim platform too...

Just need to keep the blades turning;)

I'm sure you got it covered but I'll throw this out there. Double check that the oil cooler lines aren't pinched. Depending on what the engine "bay" is like it can happen and be hard to notice. Also the speedo hose, trim trim wires, and trim pump hoses can be easy to pinch.

Did you hook up the steering cable back there? Usually I do that as soon as the plate on the inside is on. Special Lube 101 everything. ONLY stuff I would lube stuff with on those because the warming/cooling of the engine compartment causes condensation. (and the 101 lasts a long time) I've pulled engines that I have had to bust the plate apart with a sledge because the steering cylinder was locked up so tight.

Bend the tabs on the mounting studs? If that isn't bolted and torqued down, AND you have lock nuts, remove those locknuts.
Call Merc and get the standard nut, locking tab, and lock washer. Trust me you will be glad you did. Especially in the future when you re-set the gimble bearing.

Speaking of which...I would set it slightly tight. Slightly tight by being slightly low in the rear. As the mounts settle it will become closer to perfect. Vs, if it is perfect, as it settles it will be closer to tight.
(This may not be something that has to be done with a used engine-not sure only installed new ones myself)

Just throwing this out there. Use to install I/O engine/gimble/drive's every day.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Guys, thanks for stopping by and bumping me along, appreciated!

Lon - Yah, actually this morning I spent some time handling all the cables, lines, tubes and whatnot - checking for pintch points, kinks and whatever other issues. Steering cable - don't even have one yet. I'll need to first install the helm then take some measurements to be sure it'll fit exactly right. Yah, this has the tabs, standard nut and lock washer so all good there. Alignment - I'll have months before I'm actually going to bolt up the outdrive, so, I'll be aligning again just before I do, just in case there is any movement/settling type stuff.

Use to install I/O engine/gimble/drive's every day.

Um, nowyou tell me!!!!:p

Ah well, I'm certain to have questions on all this rigging going forward.

----------------------------------------------

This morning I just cleaned up the big mess in/around the boat and from install. I also started plotting out where everything will get installed (trim pump, fuel filter, fuel lines/splitter, etc.). It'll be pretty tight back there especially on the Starboard side. It crossed my mind to install the batts at the stern there but I just don't think I'll have enough room (comfortably). It's all good, they can go midships. I also reconsidered my cabin bulkhead install just a bit, I'll show ya what I'm thinking later.

Anyhow, mostly just stewing about stuff this morning. Cheers:)

rrumba

Ensign

HEY JO....

major congrats, fist bump, HIGH FIVE, on the HUGE milestone. now if only you had a glasser then you would have a set like all the KOOL kids do, one glasser one tinny, one OB one I/O............ Pops the collar, lowers the shades :cool: and fades away.............

jbcurt00

Staff member

Hey rrumba, ya dropped this during your fade awa.........
members only.jpg

We've seen how Jas deals the death blow to a glasser. Puts it down quick & swift with only a little blood shed. Just like his tin builds, quick and with minimal blood loss:).

Jas: Got to step back & take a look at the progress & current state of affairs every now & again. Otherwise, it's hard to remember how you got there. Sorry there's nobody close enough to give ya a fist bump or toast a rootbeer w/ ya. Heck of a Jan 2012 you've had.

Well done!

rrumba

Ensign

i was wondering why i got chilly all of a sudden and where i had dropped it.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Jas:
You have small: the Jet

You have medium: the Islander

Now you need Extra Extra Extra Extra Large :cool::D:eek:

How many frosty adult beverages can do you get in (& iced) or from that tinny when it's useful days are gone?

Man, I hope you guys are getting some of this weather in the upper mid west...... Many hardly a cloud, and 55+. In late January??? we are so gonna be screwed w/ snow til late May......

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Wow that thing is unbelievable!

Picture020_640_480.jpg

He says make offer, I think I have like 13 bux in my wallet. I wonder if he'd go for it?

jbcurt00

Staff member

You better offer $1.35, you'll need the $11.65 for the deposit refunds on the 48 55gal garbage bags of Tide & etc bottles to put in it. Or ya might just use $562 in noodles!:eek: <<-- that is probably off by about 1.5-2X the needed # of noodles...

You need to save a photo of that to put in w/ the Mrs valentines gift set. I got you a BIG something this year..... (I know I'll regret it soon, but, yeah I said it) It's just a free little heart rate monitor & blood pressure check from your frienemies @iBoats... :rolleyes:

I'm not sure, but you may have some competition from WOG on this beast. He's considering making it a wooden capped luxury ride:D.

It can be a project after ya get done w/ the mudding. It may be a more then 1.5-2yr commitment....Even w/ the herculean effort you tend to throw at them.

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jas:
You have small: the Jet

You have medium: the Islander

How many frosty adult beverages can do you get in (& iced) or from that tinny when it's useful days are gone?

Man, I hope you guys are getting some of this weather in the upper mid west...... Many hardly a cloud, and 55+. In late January??? we are so gonna be screwed w/ snow til late May......

Speaking of frosty beverages......I take it you had some? LOL:p

Friscoboater

Captain

Congrats on the engine alignment. That is HUGE, and I should know. It was probably the most frustrating thing to me.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Congrats on the engine alignment. That is HUGE, and I should know. It was probably the most frustrating thing to me.

I could see the look on your face in your videos when that bar slides in just the way it's supposed to - and I can now relate!

Yah, I was pumped:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I haven't had time yet today but here is some footage from this morning...

I felt like Bear Grylls on Man vs. Wild when he's eating a scorpion or a rotten carcass he's found laying in the woods.