1975 Checkmate V-Mate II Restore

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1975 Checkmate V-Mate II Restore

Looks good man, real good! Glad to see you back on it!

racinrc14

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but did you use balsa for the core replacement? Looking good, quality work.

racinrc14

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cool. Where do you get that stuff? I don't think I've ever seen it at the local home store. I build and fly model airplanes with balsa, and if I can get the stuff at a home center cheaper, then, cool!

racinrc14

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great! Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out...

Your build is looking great, BTW. Any chance you'll have her in the water soon?

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

It may not be complete but it will see water next year, even if I have to hook a trolling motor to it.

jcsercsa

Captain

It may not be complete but it will see water next year, even if I have to hook a trolling motor to it.

HAHAHAHA thats why it took me 2 years to get mine done!!! I had to get her out on the water last year, I didnt care how she looked !! KEEP at her BigRed , just think about how sweet she will be when your done !! John

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I just got done gluing in the cross support for the transom with PL Premium and also did a fillet. It was on the old transom when I ripped it out and my new transom bowed out about a 1/8" so this brought it in almost perfect.

IMG_3080.jpg

Sanded where the support will be and 2" additional from the top & bottom

IMG_3081.jpg

Big clamps coming in handy again

IMG_3083.jpg

Fillet - rounding the edge with excess PL Premo

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

HAHAHAHA thats why it took me 2 years to get mine done!!! I had to get her out on the water last year, I didnt care how she looked !! KEEP at her BigRed , just think about how sweet she will be when your done !! John

Thanks John...I'm going to get my money out of this boat even if it kills me!!!

large-smiley-047.gif

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

nice work man. I get such a kick out of those clamps!

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Chris...sorry to hear about the rash. I noticed that I've been breaking out somewhat also but not to the extent as you describe.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Well, the PL Premo fillet looked like absolute crap with bubbles this morning when I looked at. I went ahead and smoothed over that fillet with some epoxy pb. I encapsulated the brace at the bottom and the part that was glued to the transom but I didn't the top or the outside so I coated it with some epoxy before adding some scrap 1708. Then I glassed in the top part of the brace and will do the bottom hopefully tonight so I can remove the clamps by this weekend so I can place the cap back on.

IMG_3084.jpg

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

I then added some scrap 1708 to to secure the brace at the bottom.
IMG_3085.jpg

This is how much it pulled straight...I don't have a before picture to compare
IMG_3086.jpg

Sanded the tabbing down and rounded the edge of the brace
IMG_3087.jpg

Then added 10oz. cloth over all of the brace and transom for that matter. This isn't really for structural support but rather the pretty up the job and to seal the edge of the brace.
IMG_3089.jpg

Rickairmedic

Commander

Red you need a tincan after this one :D . I dont think that 18' Glass Starcraft would fit in your garage either :D. Heck I dont think it would fit in my garage the 16'er I have is gonna have to come in sideways on the trailer to be able to close the door.

Rick

AltaMira

Cadet

Hey Red,

I'm kinda new to iboats and brand new to restoration. I am about to start my own project though, one question I have is what is the stuff you call "PB" and does it have an equal in polyester? The boat is looking great!