IMG_2926.jpg

jcsercsa

Captain
Re: 1975 Checkmate V-Mate II Restore

Very cool there BigRed!! love those big clamps !! looks good !! John

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Excuse my ignorance, but what is that you troweled on between the transom and the transom wood? Peanut butter or PL type adhesive?

chrishayes

holy clamp man!!!!!!!!!! right on, gotta love progress!

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Made some progress today. I fillet the corners with some more epoxy pb.

IMG_2936.jpg

IMG_2937.jpg

Then I tabbed in the transom using 10oz. cloth.

IMG_2942.jpg

IMG_2943.jpg

chrishayes

Nice job man! THere isnt much prettier than a freshly PBed piece of epoxy coated wood! And I mean that:cool: How many layers do you intend to do on the transom? THen are you moving to the stinger or what?

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

I'm also in the process of making transom supports. This is a horizontal support comprised of two pieces of 3/4" ply glued together to go across the transom for added support. This piece existed on the original. I also have a rough cut of another brace (there will be two) that I want but I need the cap back on before more can be done with them.

IMG_2935.jpg

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Nice job man! THere isnt much prettier than a freshly PBed piece of epoxy coated wood! And I mean that:cool: How many layers do you intend to do on the transom? THen are you moving to the stinger or what?

I agree! ;) I'm probably going to do two full layers of 1708 and then tab supports using 10oz. cloth and 1708. After that, moving back to completing the core then stringer and deck. I'm actually thinking of going to cut the stringer and deck next week :eek: out of 1/2" ply since I have a rough template of what I need. I'm going three layers of 1/2" for the stingers for the 1 1/2". At least they will be done and encapsulated when I need them.

chrishayes

right on man! sounds like a plan to me. I guess I dont understand the supports you are making? Is it like a ledger board for the deck to screw to?

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Those are some seriously huge clamps! Good enginuity on making them. I'll have to buy some long bolts and make me a set for other woodwork.

Things are looking really well done. I love how cleanly filleted the transom ended up. You made your life so much easier with that filleting job. And is there anything prettier than a freshly resined transom on the bench? I still look back on the photo of redfury's transom before it went in. Wood looks so awesome with resin applied.

The knee bracing seems wierd. I don't recall seeing any other glass boats with it similar to yours. It may pose a challenge getting the deck to form nicely around them. also, good thinking on the notched trowel for the PB when gluing in the transom. I guess it pretty much like laying tile.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Great work on the transom. The wood is thick and your construction is probably better than factory. I wouldn't mess with adding those knee braces.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Those are some seriously huge clamps! Good enginuity on making them. I'll have to buy some long bolts and make me a set for other woodwork.

Things are looking really well done. I love how cleanly filleted the transom ended up. You made your life so much easier with that filleting job. And is there anything prettier than a freshly resined transom on the bench? I still look back on the photo of redfury's transom before it went in. Wood looks so awesome with resin applied.

The knee bracing seems wierd. I don't recall seeing any other glass boats with it similar to yours. It may pose a challenge getting the deck to form nicely around them. also, good thinking on the notched trowel for the PB when gluing in the transom. I guess it pretty much like laying tile.

Great work on the transom. The wood is thick and your construction is probably better than factory. I wouldn't mess with adding those knee braces.
Thanks for the compliments and the advice.

I probably don't need the knee braces but was thinking it couldn't hurt. I was thinking of also using them to support the gas tank. After listening to you guys, I'm thing I might do something a little different. I do need to build a bench seat so maybe it would be better to tie the vertical supports of it into the transom while boxing in tank? Still probably not needed but I'd take the added support.

I built the clamps using a 2 x 8 x 8' yellow pine ripped in half and a 6' long 5/8 threaded bar cut it into four equal sections. If you like, I can post the design with my measurments if you would like later on today.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Nope do the knees!

Most certainly do the knees.

chrishayes

I dont know man...once you get the 1708 on the transom, you will feel a bit different! I promise it will blow your mind how freaking strong it feels! Promise, it will be enough without the knees. They look cool, but resin is too expensive to just add looks. I also agree that it will make your deck job a lot harder. I like your idea of the tank/bench supports rather than the knees. That way at least there would be a reason for the added expense. I thoughtabout doing a bench where my splashwell is now but cant make up my mind yet. I just dont want to do the extra glassing that that would take on the cap. Cant wait to see yours:D Hurry up, I need to see it before I do mine. Do I need to come over there and help you get that thing done so we are at the same stage? I will if you need it. Be a pleasure, and I drive a 08 civic so it wouldnt cost much. I have felt bad for you since you dont have any help...:(

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

I know it already feels 10x stronger then before it was replaced. I just don't want to screw myself out of the possibility of being able to upgrade to a larger engine. I'll have to ponder that while I take care of some unfinished business.

I'm working as fast as my wife and daughter will allow me to work. I'd work on this thing throughout the night if she'd let me. We'll have to hook up sometime and look over the boats for a brain storm session.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I wanted to glass the transom in really bad tonight with 1708 but I didn't get to it. :( Instead, I removed the last bit of bad core in the stern of the boat. I want to be able to lay the 1708 as far as I want without having to trim around an unfinished work area.

Well, the removal went fairly good until I started poking around the drain hole. Lets just say, more wood which means more removal! I call it my mini transom.

IMG_2944.jpg

Side profile

IMG_2945.jpg

Mini transom wood

IMG_2946.jpg

Looking back at the skin

IMG_2948.jpg

Area cleaned up