1975 Checkmate V-Mate II Restore

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1975 Checkmate V-Mate II Restore

I have found that sometimes the PL premium comes out picture perfect, and other times looks like a bubbly nightmare...

Camlee98

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Man red you are flying right along!! I just got my transom coated with a layer of CSM and will hopefully be attaching it this weekend! I noticed you used some 1708 how much resin does it drink compared to the CSM? More or less?

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

I'd say way more...it's mat and cloth stitched together. I've used up almost 1.5 gallons glassing 1708 onto the transom.

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'd say way more...it's mat and cloth stitched together. I've used up almost 1.5 gallons glassing 1708 onto the transom.

It used at least double what cloth only uses. Csm though is its own resin eating monster. It depends on what weight. for comparison, Lowkee used about 5 gallons on just his deck alone using 2oz csm. I only used half a gallon so far on mine and have done the underside using 10oz cloth. So that means after I do the top side I will have only used 1 gallon total...wish I hadnt ordered 3 gallons plus a gallon of hardner:(

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Don't worry, I might be buying your excess resin...especially with how fast I'm going through the stuff.

chrishayes

Don't worry, I might be buying your excess resin...especially with how fast I'm going through the stuff.

Funny. I have run out of 10oz cloth while doing the underside of the deck so I decided to use 1708 scrap that I had left over...damn that stuff. I truly hate it. I mean it is great for strength but man it sucks for a hurt back broke guy that doesnt want to buy more resin! After doing a 4' by 4' piece I had enough, I used 1/2 a gallon on it and it took me 2 hours to finish. So, I did something I just didnt think would happen. I cheaped out and went to meijer and bought the little packets of cloth that they sell. I think it is like 6oz and it is 8 sq ft per pack. I didnt care, all I knew is that I wasnt about to do the rest with 1708. I wouldve had to buy more resin and that is OUT of the question. With the 10oz and the little packs it only takes like oz's of resin not gallons not to metion it only takes a few minutes to finish a layup and it doesnt hurt me at all as I dont have to slave over it with a bubble buster and squeegee.

In the end though, using the 1708 where I did is a bit of an upside and kinda looks like I knew what I was doing because it is directly under where the seats will bolt down. Seeing as though the drivers seat will be a pedestal this cant be a bad thing having extra strength below...did I mention I hate working with 1708?

And, you bet, if I have any left over, you are welcome to it! I will have a few more things to glass once the deck is in but I still should have a gallon left plus hardener. If you came to get it I wouldnt charge you for it bud. Be a good way to meet. Especially seeing as though it will be cold soon so it would be nice to shoot the shhhhh about our winter project plans!

I am about to go out and try to get the cap back on! Wish me luck.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Keep up the great work BigRed
post lots of pics!!!!!!!! your glass work is 10x better looking than mine...maybye you were a master glasser in a previous life lol

suscribed

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I am trying to pick up wood but with not having a truck, makes it quite difficult. My neighbor's son has one and said he'll help me next week so I should be able to start my stringer and deck replacement the I'll be able to move on to my bench seat, etc. Anyways, I put the cap back on the hull which was quite the task since the transom was out-of-whack from being bad for so long. I ended up having to cut into the splashwell to get it back on to fit. It just requires additional glassing which will probably be better in the long run where it will fit better around the transom.

IMG_3139.jpg

IMG_3140.jpg

IMG_3145.jpg

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

After that, I got in and did some sanding on my glass work over the balsa core so I don't have to deal with it other then cleaning and glassing with 1708.

IMG_3144.jpg

Then I went the the bow and removed my bulkhead to have better access to the foam so I could remove it. The stuff was nasty to remove but was dry. I did leave the bow deck in place just for added support until I get the new main deck and stringer in then it will be removed and replaced.

IMG_3141.jpg

IMG_3142.jpg

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's gonna turn out great. That is serious work you're putting into that boat.

chrishayes

lookin good, I too think I may have to cut out the back of the splashwell. I think in the end that like you, it will be better that way. Along with the cracks and holes, the outboard clamps had been tightened by he-man leaving DEEP dents. At this point man, whats a little more glassing gonna hurt?

Suck about the truck thing. When I sold my superduty I bought a trailer to pull behind my civic. Best thing ever. Great mileage and it can handle more than I thought.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

lookin good, I too think I may have to cut out the back of the splashwell. I think in the end that like you, it will be better that way. Along with the cracks and holes, the outboard clamps had been tightened by he-man leaving DEEP dents. At this point man, whats a little more glassing gonna hurt?

Suck about the truck thing. When I sold my superduty I bought a trailer to pull behind my civic. Best thing ever. Great mileage and it can handle more than I thought.

When I pulled the motor and cap, I was worried about trying to save it and after three hours of fighting to get the cap back on yesterday, I said screw it and took my dremel tool and started cutting. In the end though, I will use poly to cover with glass in that section so it should fit the transom like a glove and I'm not worried if it doesn't stick to the transom, in fact I hope it doesn't so I can remove the cap if need be without cutting.

I only regret not adding another 1/2" ply to the transom since I was going to cut into the spashwell.

I'll get my wood eventually. I so need to buy an old pick up just for this special occasion. :D :D :D

Camlee98

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking good Red! I too worry that my cap won't go back on but we'll see when the time comes. I'd do the say thing just cut it out and reglass.
Why not just throw that wood on top of the car with the roof rack? I have a Subie forester and that's how I got my 3 sheet of plywood home LOL. Just strap it down tight!!

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hi Red
looking good...keep up the good work..going to be a bad ***** boat when youre done!

hey ...harbor freight has cheap trailers for $200
wood transporter etc ATVs?...

keep posting pics and info! :D

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

I finally picked up 4 sheets of 1/2 plywood thanks to my neighbor's son. I'm going to let it sit for a week before cutting and gluing to make up some stringers, deck, etc.

Thanks guys with the suggestions for getting wood home. With my luck, I'd lose the wood coming home with it tied to the top of my little RAV4 and I have no place to store another traiter without the city breathing down my neck.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Rent the Lowes or Home Depot truck. Asuming that's where you're getting the wood. It's either free or like $10.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Have some pictures to share. The wood was pretty dry so I went ahead and cut my stringers which comprises of (3) 8' foot sections of 1/2 plywood. I overlapped two of them by 4' and glued them and took the other 8' section and cut it in half and glued onto the remaining section. This gave me a total length of 12' which is well more then I needed.

IMG_3230.jpg

IMG_3231.jpg

IMG_3233.jpg

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Then I cut it to rough length then placed where it's going to sit. Then I took a piece of wood and drilled a hole approximately 1/2" up big enough to fit a pencil so I can scribe the bottom so I can replicate the contour of the hull to the stringer. Then I cut to size and refitted which is pretty good. After I finish the core repair and lay a layer of 1708, I'll be able to sand the bottom of the stringer so it fits better then cut the top of the stringer to size.

IMG_3234.jpg
Wood place in hull

IMG_3236.jpg
Scribing the contour of the hull

IMG_3235.jpg

Homemade scribing tool...had to break the pencil in half so I could scribe the bow area since the pencil was too long and used a screw to hold pencil in place.

IMG_3237.jpg

Fitted stringer look toward the bow

IMG_3238.jpg

Fitted look toward the stern