1973 Kona 18ft rebuild

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1973 Kona 18ft rebuild

After I got one cut I test fit to make sure it would slide in under the cap it went in easy.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I cut the other to match and got the titebond 3 out. I spread it with a trowel and
Here it is

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

So what do you do with 3 trolling motor batteries, 2 car batteries, two anvils, 4 gals of epoxy, a craftsman tool kit some weights a portable charger a bench grinder and a speed jack? Use em as dead weight when u glue a transom. After all this I did not like how it was so I ended up adding a few 1 inch screws I should have just used these. But I thought of it kinda late. So hopefully it pulls together. Prolly should not try to think after a 12 hour shift.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

On a side note the photo bucket mobile app is great. I took these recent pics on my phone and upload them very easy. In fact you can uploaded every pic directly as u take it if you want. I know totally off subject but had to share.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Glad to see you making progress again! Thanks for the tip on the mobile app, I will give that a try when I get back to the pontoon.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I had a few minutes this morning so I dry fit the transom. It fit well there were a few small place it needed sanding to fit. I decided to cut the inboard face at a 30 degree angle and rounded the edge slightly.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

I plan to cut and dry fit as much as I can as far as decks and the stringer so I can coat everything at once. That way once I break open the epoxy it all gets done timely hopefully.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Very nice fabrication work on the Transom. What's the plan for clamping to the hull?

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey wood. I will make some 2x4 clamps and use the holes for the transom eyes. The eyes will be replaced/used.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here you can see the multitude of holes the only ones beside the drain hole I know I will need are the transom eyes. The current thinking is I am going to use a 4 inch jack plate and I don't know what the holes would be.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is a shot showing a little better the splash well is cut out 6 inches so clamps and transom should fit.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is my idea for measuring the stringer height. It is two regular squares with two stair tool clamps. It also works with just small c clamps. It is straight and square. It can open out to 45" although I only need 34. I will mark off every 6 inches or so along the stringer bed and take measurements.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here it is in action instead of the tape I plan to clamp a metal ruler to get precise measurements that I can pick up and transfer to my board.

Last edited:

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I had this old 7000 BTU air conditioner I was gonna sell but at 85+ and who knows what humidity. I had to hillbilly it in the man door of the garage with some cardboard.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I did exactly the same thing when my son came to help me wire my boat. We used painters plastic drop cloth to seal it off. It kept the garage about 75 so it wasn't so bad. I like "Red Nekkin" stuff.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is the work so far today in between running my son to summer school building class. And all the other tasks for the day. That one sheet of ply I used for the transom had 8 1/2" piece down the middle.The tallest my stringer is would be 4 1/8" so I ripped it and offset the two pieces to make 12' 6" then used more scraps from the same board to fill it out. So one piece of ply for my transom and stringer woowoo. I now have a 1 1/2" x 12' 6" stringer. Tomorrow I will cut it to shape. Depending on temp I might break into the resin and coat stringer and transom.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

So with all that sawdust I filtered it through a drywall sanding screen and ended up with a quart of wood flour.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well the news said it was 92? here today and tomorrow is no better. Kinda off point but thought I would share. Anyway I was out to look at the boat and found still two more holes and screws in the transom.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

The reason I was looking at the transom was to decide what to do with the bilge. The original design had the bilge on only the port side of the stringer. not the best pic but