1973 Kona 18ft rebuild

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: epoxy and 1708 with or without mat?

With Polyester Resin I agree with Cierra about the mat but... with epoxy it really is NOT needed.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

"With Polyester Resin I agree with Cierra about the mat but... with epoxy it really is NOT needed."

That is what I thought as well. Price is very similar between the two but If it save a lot of resin I will go with 17oz biax instead of 1708. Now if the weather ever gets over 60?
I can start. Thank you both for your input.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Re: 1973 Kona 18ft rebuild

bring her on down here, it was 80 yesterday.....I'm getting itchy for the lake! I guess I'm spoiled with the heated shop, otherwise I would still be working on mine. Keep us updated!

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ordered some stainless 5" pull up cleats I like the clean look with only ?" showing above the deck. That was at 10p.m. last night. I already got the tracking number should be here Mon. And it was free shipping. They were half the price of most of the sites I found. $24.98 a piece. I am waiting for the catch.....
The site is www.marinepartdepot.com they have all sorts of hardware and they are inexpensive.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

are they the attwood ones? I really like mine, got them for about that price at academy sports of all places.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got the cleats today I really like the way they look very narrow and low profile. They did not come with a gasket for between the cleat and the fiberglass,so I will have to get those and some fender washers. But since I have quite some time before they get mounted i guess it is no worry. It finally warmed up today and is supposed to get nicer as the week goes on hopefully it stays! I wish I had more to report but so far thats it.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

I forgot, I also saw a friend who has a roll of fiberglass mesh. Not sure how good that would be? It has 3/16 holes and is quite stiff. Similar to a drywall tape only a 38"roll and not quite that stiff. Any ideas on if it is good to use for my purpose of transom, stringer, and decks? I think maybe for the decks?

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well it is a bad time for the printing industry and we have had a lot of lay off time. I finally have a little cash saved up for the glass finally. I was going to order right now but can't seem to find the sheet I had with the measuremennts on it. It is only about ten minutes from here but A flashlight at 1:30 a.m. might cause me problems.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Glad to hear you have some money to spend on her, she is a really great looking boat. I'm guessing you want to stay away from that glass....I haven't heard of anyone using anything like that. Do you have a pic of it you could post?

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sent my order off to us composites. Odd ordering I like to know what all the charges are right away not later. I added it up but only can guess at shipping.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I used fiberglasssite.com, nice people. You are doing epoxy right?

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah Archbuilder I have six gallons of epoxy just waiting for use. I had to order just the glass itself. I was waiting since work has had so much lay off. Last week I was laid off a day then they Mandated me for a day so I got a normal week in. But the mandatory day should have been O.T. if not for the lay off. Now The schedule shows yet another day of lay off on the 3rd. Oh Well if I dont just spend the money on the boat it will never get done.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I got the supplies from us composites last week. Cabosil, chopped fibers, 10 yd 1700 and 6 yd csm. with shipping $140 bucks. I know I will need more cloth but it will get me started. Now i have 3 days of Overtime and then more layoff my company cant seem to get its schedule straight. Pretty bad since I work for one of the Worlds largest printing companies. I just need some ply and can start on this again. Although the boat may have to move again we'll see.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

So thought id start kicking around here again. The boat has made yet another relocation the 4th so far. It is now in my driveway where it should have been all along... Anyway. I pulled out all the materials I have collected and tried to get ply today but my son had a bit of a tantrum. I have two extra days of ot at work this week and family in town so it will have to be next Wednesday. But just wanted all to know this project is not dead she will run again!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Cool, I wondered what happened to it......looking forward to seeing your work!

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

So today I got done with work at 6 am and as I drove past menards I remembered a gift card I had. So I bought some ply and actual made a transom. I made half a pattern and flipped it to make the whole piece. As narrow as my transom is two pieces came out of one sheet.