1973 Kona 18ft rebuild

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1973 Kona 18ft rebuild

Well when it rains it pours at least funds from my bank account. The project is still stalled from no cash. just thought i'd give what update I could.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hope things pick up for you soon, that is a sweet boat...can't wait to see it back on the water! I hear you on the funding, I still have a lot to do on Miss Morgan, but need things to pick up at work!

toey77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is the stern view. You can see all the holes plugged including the splash well holes. There was no bilge pump mind you, I found they had drilled a hole straight down in the splashwell so the water actually drained into the boat. The holes were filled with wood plugs and bondo over them. The drain plug is a 1 inch copper pipe. And there is lots of silicone around every bolt.
IMAG0034.jpg
[/IMG]

here we are stressing about build quality and using the right materials for the job etc.. i am amazed that some boats holed together

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmmm just noticed some of the early posts have lost there pics? not sure why. Well January in Wisconsin so no work on the boat lately. I have been looking at resin and glass getting ready to order some so I will be ready when the weather is.

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer

Sharp looking boat man! What prop is on that 175?

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

honestly i dont know there are no numbers on it. I have scoured it looking I will have to take it to a prop shop to see what pitch it is.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looking forward to seeing your progress! By the way keep the cold weather up there! :D

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dont think I have to try to keep the freezing weather here Arch, it seems quite happy all on its own. Well I have an order of epoxy headed to my house as I type. I know it will be months before I can use it but if I dont spend the money when I have it it will surely go towards guns or electronics. I'll shake the hardener every month and keep it warm in the house. Now to measure and order some glass......

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

Looking forward to seeing your progress! By the way keep the cold weather up there! :D

Looks like it is on our way. May have already arrived for you. Should be here tomorrow. DFW is not used to the temp being in the teens. Goona be a long week. LOL.

Glad to see you stickin with the build Knight.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

UPS just dropped off my epoxy a 4 gal pail and two seperate gal jugs of hardener and the pumps. Does not seem like much when i spent less for the boat, motor and trailer. Actually the price was not bad but 70 bucks for shipping sucked. So now I need to get the glass. A buddy of mine said his dad has a roll of glass, I have no idea what though. I want spring. 21 Degrees right now and it's sposed to get colder for the next few days. the next 3 to 4 months are gonna take forever.

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like it is on our way. May have already arrived for you. Should be here tomorrow. DFW is not used to the temp being in the teens. Goona be a long week. LOL.

Glad to see you stickin with the build Knight.

Man, I'm glad I'm further south! lol I was in the high 20's last week, and the cold just had to roll in when I get back on nights lol

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

hmmm yeah well -30? planned thurs and friday not sounding fun. Of course maybe if I put it on now it wwill cure by may.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Still waiting for weather warm enough to epoxy! I visit the boat every now and then just because. I have been getting little odds and ends for it here and there. And have drawn up numerous design ideas. But so far that is all I have done I will get to this boat this summer if it kills me.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looking forward to seeing you at it again, that is a really cool hull!

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class
epoxy and 1708 with or without mat?

epoxy and 1708 with or without mat?

So I am gonna order up some glass. I am using epoxy resin I know the mat sucks up resin. So using epoxy how important is the mat? Besides helping build up thickness how much strenth does it give?

I am also ordering some 6oz cloth. It is for the transom, stringers and deck of an 18ft Kona shallow V the thread to my build is in my sig.

Any suggestions appreciated I know there are tons of posts on glass everyone uses what they have but I am getting new.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: epoxy and 1708 with or without mat?

You should really keep your posts all in one thread.
If you are going to use epoxy you do not need to use mat. Cloth is sufficient. The mat provides no added benefit. If you have not already read this Sticky at the top of the forum I would Highly recommend it

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=286013;)

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My knowledge is limited, however i believe cloth alone will not provide much strength/adhesion. I've always used the layer method...mat first/cloth/mat/cloth/mat..etc..
I prefer the 1708w/mat but it does suck up resin!