1973 Kona 18ft rebuild

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Re: 1973 Kona 18ft rebuild

Hang in there, it will be rolling along before you know it! I still can't belive that I'm almost done!

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Arch, half the iboats members can't wait to see Miss Morgan and Max Dance! Your gonna have to start another project to keep us all entertained. As for mine tomorrow is another day.

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

Nice boat! That is gonna looks sweet once she is done. Reminds me of arch's boat- minus the tree of course, and a little cleaner:D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I'll have to borrow money from Mick to start another one! I have been toying with the idea of picking up a a Sleek like Vegas's...but that will probably be a while! I hope you get rolling on yours soon, nice looking boat!

Friscoboater

Captain

Sweet Boat man. I love the lines on that thing. I will be watching this thread.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

for some reason I can not post to my own thread? I can only quick reply. But I can post on other threads. Anyway I have pics of the motor coming off and on the new stand I will upload and post em when this forum lets me.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay now I gues It will let me strange. Any way here are the pics.
DSC_0891.jpg
[/IMG]
here it is finally off the boat and hanging on my new clearance priced closeout cherry picker.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

She does not normally sit that far forward on the trailer. But it shows the bunks need some work specially the 2 on port side.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

DSC_0896.jpg
[/IMG]
Here is the motors new home for a while. This took way to long to build. For some reason this rather simple project kicked my butt.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

DSC_0899.jpg
[/IMG]
And here it is mounted the hoist is there "just because". The stand held just fine but I want to put some cross braces it looked like it wanted to lean slightly. 400lbs should not ever lean!

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

DSC_0901.jpg

The motor will fit in front of the car but was late tonight and I was done. Just wanted to show the working space and the plastic wrapped car.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looks like that trailer could use some help! Nice looking motor stand, Max will be jealous! I can't remember, have you checked on the transom? Those aluminum plates are never a good sign!

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

arch, the transom being bad is what made me start this adventure. And I dont think max will be to jealous he gets to sit with Miss Morgan very soon.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking back at these pics this morning I realize I never put the bolts I had in where the main vertical supports attach to the base. Right now there are just drywall screws that i used to support while i drilled and bolted.the vertical support is resting on the base though. Well today I hope to get a better look at the transom And remove the rub rail. From what I saw though It looks like there is fiberglass holding the cap on on the inside of the boat. That would suck to have to try and grind all the way around the inside. But it was late last night so maybe My head was not with me. New pics to come after today (if I can Keep on the wifes good side. :rolleyes:

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I forgot the good camera today so cell phone pics will have to do. I got the transom tore apart. I found out the aluminum sandwich was actually a steel sandwich. I also found bondo and silicone and drain plugs filled in. Whoever "fixed" (very loosely used term) this before sure did a number.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

he first thing noticed was the attempt at sealing this crack. Im guessing it was bondo. The steel wrap that was on was just sitting around the transom. I wish I had taken a pic of that maybe later.
IMAG0035.jpg
[/IMG]

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Wow, they really used everything...was there a kitchen sink in there somewhere? Lol! You are in the hard stage now....lots of cleaning, chipping, grinding. But once that is over, the rebuilding starts.....the fun part! Looking forward to your progress!

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is the stern view. You can see all the holes plugged including the splash well holes. There was no bilge pump mind you, I found they had drilled a hole straight down in the splashwell so the water actually drained into the boat. The holes were filled with wood plugs and bondo over them. The drain plug is a 1 inch copper pipe. And there is lots of silicone around every bolt.
IMAG0034.jpg
[/IMG]

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well The boat manufacturer did glass the hull to the cap as I thought. There is no flange between the two. So the cap stays on luckily there is plenty of room by cutting part of the splashwell out to reach everything I need.
IMAG0051.jpg
[/IMG]