1973 Kona 18ft rebuild

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1973 Kona 18ft rebuild

Here is the first view with the transom cap cut off. The splash well was still attached by lots of glass to my surprise.
IMAG0044.jpg
[/IMG]
You can see there is no wood on the port side it is in the boat the inner skin was literally paper thin as you can see
IMAG0055.jpg
[/IMG]

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is a shot of the steel transom cap covering this mess. It starts at the base of the splashwell over the cap and down behind the jackplate. But there was nothing holding the bolts on the port side but that tiny bit of fiberglass. So really just the outer skin held the 400lb motor.
DSC_0455.jpg
[/IMG]

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

I ran out of time to completely remove all the wood but I got 3/4 out the port side is clean and only a few inches in the bottom of starboard. But with just a screwdriver it came really clean nothing stuck to the outer skin.
IMAG0054.jpg
[/IMG]

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dont know what the manufactuer used to stick the two sheets of ply together cause i was able to take pieces of each out seperately. Like they just dropped two boards in side by side and lightly glassed em over.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

And as long as we are showing wood rot Here is the trailer with carpet pulled back The boat was farther back on the trailer when I purchased it . The transom was flush with the end of the bunk. I don't think I would have trailered it home like this If i had known. Guess I was so excited about the price I wanted to grab it and go.

IMAG0040.jpg
[/IMG]

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

That last pic also you can see the crack in the end support of the trailer itself the other side is not much better. So welding is needed. Well it feels great to actually do something that feels productive to a rebuild. Everything was stripped out of the boat as well today. I wish I could have had enough time to clean out the rest of the transom. I hate to leave a task unfinished but I wanted to be home when my wife was to see her. Saturday is family day so I will not be able to work on it. And my 3 day work week starts sun night. So no more work on the boat till wednesday. I am undecided about what medium to use for the transom. I am leaning towards a pourable now that I see what room I have in the transom. I need to check the stringer yet as well.......never enough time

Friscoboater

Captain

I feel you on the time part. Keep at it man, and before you know it you will be on the lake.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I don't regret spending the bucks on seacast now.....it was a little hard to part with the $$ at the time, but I will NEVER have to redo it! I can't speak for the other products on the market, but seacast was really easy to use...and amazingly strong!

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Arch any idea on the weight difference between ply and seacast I am looking at nida bond also. I already called coosa composites they have a foam and glass sheet that you use just like wood. And again no rot but it is almost 50% lighter than ply.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Not sure, but it is heavier than ply (at least dry plywood!) The nice thing is you just create a cavity, and it fills it regardless of the shape. I'm interested in the foam product you came up with.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

http://www.coosacomposites.com/

The Bluewater 26 is what was suggested. You can also use it for decking I guess. There are lighter weight versions also. Not many dealers local for me in WI. But they gave me a distributors name I forget it off hand have to dig back through emails. Price was around 200 per 4x8 sheet. 1 sheet of 3/4 would work for me my transom is 22 inches at the center so I could get two pieces out of it. The rest is just like using wood to install.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

I really want to be working on the boat. I have been going over what needs to be done and am chomping at the bit. I need to get more info on transom materials so I can make a decision and order whatever it is. Anyone use coosa composite board? I know it gets used in race boats.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well 3 day work week is over now on to the 3 day boat work week. I like the latter much better.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

well not much progress yesterday. A little more grinding and the wood is completely remove from the transom. But with my 3 yr old son to watch also I have to work within his attention span. The bilge area has a lot to grind there is a 1/2 inch pad built up from the old one. I will get more pics.Today is a resupply day for grinding and sanding items. And I really need to order glassing materials.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Any updates? Hopefully things are moving along smoothly for you!

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

The rebuild has stalled for a bit till my funds get rebuilt. Hopefully this payday will let me order the wood,glass and resin for the project. Ihave not been doing to much on it my son was very burned out watching me work on it had to take some time to let him pick the fun for the day. hopefully I can get back at it the end of this week and for sure next.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Had this pic so i thought i would throw it up here. 22 Gal is more like 136lbs but i figure 20 gal weight. Tank not usually topped off anyway.

IMAG0075-figures.jpg

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not much to do on the boat till funds are replenished. Can't put her together till I get materials. So anyone wants to donate I'll give ya my pay pal info :D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hope you can get back too her soon, she is going to be one sweet boat! :D