1972 Silverline Grand Bahama

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1972 Silverline Grand Bahama

This is bolted to the inside of the transom

IMG_2736.jpg

and comes out through the top as this

IMG_2737.jpg

The PO said it was to lift the cap off, as there is another in the front. They aren't attatched to the cap but rather the hull. I'm thinking about just eliminating it. Any thoughts?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey BN - Could that weather vane be for lifting the whole boat. It sure isn't for lifting the cap. I say deep six 'em.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I guess thats a possibilty. That bracket is attatched using four 3/8 bolts so I don't know if I would trust it to lift a 4k pound boat.

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

Looking good BN (actually them stringers don?t look too bad compared to some of the threads I?ve seen here)!:D
We are supposed to be in the high 60?s all week! (January?????):eek:
Dave:D

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

The pics actually don't do the stringers justice. I have accidently stepped on one and it kind of crumbled under my foot. I just need to be a little more careful so I can use them as templates. We are supposed to have highs in the mid 50's for the next week or so. Hope the weather holds out for awhile.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Today I finished tearing stuff out of the cabin. There are a few panels left but they aren't in the way so I will leave them untill I'm ready to replace them.

Big pile of stuff I pulled out of the cabin.

IMG_2739.jpg

Everything out.

IMG_2740.jpg

IMG_2741.jpg

IMG_2742.jpg

On part of the deck where it meets the hull it appears the wood doesn't go completely to the edge. I'm thinking maybe they were cut short when put together?

IMG_2743.jpg

bear_69cuda

Commander

Hey Boatnut...

Just signed on to your build!

Very cool boat! Tri-hull cuddy! I like!

Looking forward to your progress.....

Have a nice weekend!

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Did some more demo today. I got most of the deck pulled out now. The deck in the cabin was solid but wet so I'm just going to replace it all. I left the spot where it drops down to walk through in for now until I take some measurments and draw up a diagram so I can put it back in somewhat close.

IMG_2753.jpg

IMG_2750.jpg

IMG_2746.jpg

A liitle grinder mishap. It was really hard to tell where the edge was, I guess that's the downside of a tri-hull.

IMG_2755.jpg

IMG_2756.jpg

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

The deck sits up about an inch off the hull. I always thought they touched in some spots but maybe I'm wrong?

IMG_2745.jpg

The outside stringers might be a little hard to glass back in but I think there's just enough room ;)

IMG_2748.jpg

I have cut out about as far as I feel comfortable. Will a grinder and 24 or 36 grit suffice to remove the rest of this?

IMG_2747.jpg

I need to get some money saved up for some supplies now. I'm thinking a roll of 1708, a roll of 1.5 csm, a few yards of 18oz roving and 10 gallons of resin would be a good start. I looked into my crystal ball today and saw alot of grinding and itching in my future :(

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I have also decided I am going to put on a couple bunks on each side to better support the hull. I don't want to take the chance of it deforming when I pul the stringers out. The transom and stringers will stay in place until this is done. I plan on ordering the bolster brackets later this week when I figure out what I all need.

southkogs

Staff member

That boat just keeps lookin' bigger ... There's a lot of deck on that monster.

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

Hey BN
You get a little nice weather and look at you go, you will have it splashed by spring at this rate?.lol ;)

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

That boat just keeps lookin' bigger ... There's a lot of deck on that monster.

There's alot of transom to! That new transom is going to be a restling match to get in there!

Hey BN
You get a little nice weather and look at you go, you will have it splashed by spring at this rate….lol ;)

I don't know about spring. Maybe spring 2013 but I hate putting timelines on things. I still have alot of grinding and glassing to go. That along with limited funds will be slow progress. Plus I still need to do some work to our deck boat and get a new computer for the jet ski. Those two will eat up a whole lotta dough.

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

I know all that from your thread already. I was just teasing you a little. I will be following you no matter how long it takes.
Dave

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Against my better judgment I wandered out into the single digits and did a little more work. I have a few questions before I can really go any further so I dont put a bunch of holes in the hull.

IMG_2762.jpg

Alright, here's where I have a question. I found some of this particle board type stuff under some of the glass. It isn't part of the deck as it goes part way up the outer two "humps" of the hull. I don't want to grind to far if I don't have to but I also want to remove all the rotten wood.

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2766.jpg

Here's another pic of what I'm talking about. Kind of a bad pic but I think you can see what I'm talking about.

IMG_2764.jpg

I did some grinding on the port side "hump" It looks clean but there is still some of that particle board type stuff under the glass.

IMG_2765.jpg

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

Hey BN
I’m just a newbie as you know, but my two cents would be to cut it all out. It is very old and looks to be able to suck lots of water if you ever spring a leak. Like I said take my suggestions with a grain of salt.
dave

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I agree it all needs to go, I'm just a little nervous trying to grind it all out. I would hate to make some thin and weak spots in the hull even though I'm planning on glassing in a layer of 18oz roving over these spots.