1972 Silverline Grand Bahama

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1972 Silverline Grand Bahama

I havn't really done any work to the boat the last couple weeks. The temp outside was lingering around zero today, so not much motivation. If we get a warm day this weekend I will try to get the motor pulled out and all the stuff cleaned out from inside so I have some room to work. I need to take a bunch of measurments and draw up some diagrams as well so I can put this thing back together someday :D

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I guess the grinding begins, BN. Sorry about that, bud.

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

I just popped in to say hello. In the photo of you and your lady there is a bunch of white dots all around you guys
(and piled up on your shoulders) What is this stuff; dandruff, borax soap? :D
Seriously temps around 0; I would never come out the house all winter.
We complain in Cali when the weather dips into the low 50?s. I have not worked as diligently on my little boat because of the cold (50 degrees above you, I really must be a wuss)!
I have almost no experience using fiberglass (in my first outing into the wild world of FG I created a rare and beautiful resin rock). Can I do some fg work outside with temps in the low 50?
Talk to you later.
Dave:D

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I'm still boating when it's 50 degrees out. I actually remember our first camping trip this year the water was around 55 degrees and we were skiing! It wasn't very pleasant though.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hey boatnut74,

First off, Thanks for sharing your project. I will be tagging along to see the splash.

Secondly, Thanks for the visit early on in my resto thread, most appreciated.

And finally, after reading through your thread, I have come to the realization that it is OK to switch back and forth from a tinny to a glasser.

Keep up the good work and best regards,
GT1M

PS, find an old '69 Lincoln Town car with the suicide doors and restore it using the donor boats interior, way pimp!:D

jpormen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Even though you got a little while before its done, i think your boat would look really sweet and somewhat modern with really black tinted windows

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

find an old '69 Lincoln Town car with the suicide doors and restore it using the donor boats interior, way pimp!:D

ROFL

Even though you got a little while before its done, i think your boat would look really sweet and somewhat modern with really black tinted windows

I have thought about tinting the windows, I saw another cabin boat on here at one time and it had the windows tinted and looked pretty slick.

jpormen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got bored so i tried to create what it would look like with paint!
Imagine the whole boat with fresh white paint and dark windows

modernboat.jpg

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah tinted windows would look pretty good on there. I have a few years before I have to make that decision though.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

And finally, after reading through your thread, I have come to the realization that it is OK to switch back and forth from a tinny to a glasser.

I don't know if it's alright or not, I know there are some laws out there that make it illegal in certain parts of the world. I'm still looking for another tinny to fix up but they are pretty scarce in my neck of the woods.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

I don't know if it's alright or not, I know there are some laws out there that make it illegal in certain parts of the world. I'm still looking for another tinny to fix up but they are pretty scarce in my neck of the woods.

To be toally honest with you, until I joined Iboats, I had never seen such a thing as an alumeeneeyum boat much bigger than 8-14 feet, used only in the deepest, red-necked parts of the Florida swamps, usually only painted some shade of green or dull green... I think they call them jon-boats???:confused::p
Scarce, you bet...especially down here in South Florida...maybe even illegal...:eek::D

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

To be toally honest with you, until I joined Iboats, I had never seen such a thing as an alumeeneeyum boat much bigger than 8-14 feet,

lol. My first boat was actually a 17' aluminum Crestliner with 110 Evinrude. I really miss that boat. I didn't want to sell it but due to our financial situation at the time I had to thin out the heard.

Today I went out and tinkered with the donor boat today. The PO said it was winterized but just out of curiosity I pulled one of the plugs from the exhaust manifold and a stream of water came out :eek:. I closed my eyes for a second and thought "oh no I got taken on this one!" I opened up my eyes and noticed it was the pink rv antifreeze, (sigh of relief). It seems like everything was properly winterized so I should be good to try it out on the water next spring to see how everything operates.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The PO said it was winterized but just out of curiosity I pulled one of the plugs from the exhaust manifold and a stream of water came out :eek:. I closed my eyes for a second and thought "oh no I got taken on this one!" I opened up my eyes and noticed it was the pink rv antifreeze, (sigh of relief). It seems like everything was properly winterized so I should be good to try it out on the water next spring to see how everything operates.

Bet that got your heart racing.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Havn't heard anything. I also checked with several of the nearby scrapyards to no avail. I'm starting to look for another now but they are few and far between around here.

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Nut (boat that is),;)
Just popped in to say hi, haven?t been around much, wife keeps handing me a longer and longer list of honeydews. You know, honey; do this, and this, and this etc.:eek:
dave:D