1972 Silverline Grand Bahama

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1972 Silverline Grand Bahama

Man, glad the water was supposed to be there! (with the antifreeze!)
There's a special place in hell for the guys that got your boat, and my 6hp Evinrude!

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Man, glad the water was supposed to be there! (with the antifreeze!)
There's a special place in hell for the guys that got your boat, and my 6hp Evinrude!

I agree, I'm on the search for a replacement, might be getting one next week. I would really like to get the Silverline done but I'm not looking forward to the itching. That and I would like to wait untill I get a shop built.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Nut (boat that is),;)
Just popped in to say hi, haven?t been around much, wife keeps handing me a longer and longer list of honeydews. You know, honey; do this, and this, and this etc.:eek:
dave:D

I totaly understand what you mean! I have 11 days off coming up (I hope) and I think she is giving me one free day! Life is so unfair.....lol

WeldZilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey I love the boat you picked up. What a stable dream thats going to be on the water. I look forward to warmer weather for you to get after this project. Here where I live today this day after Christmas I did some yard work and am preparing to barbeque 3 racks of ribs.... you know when you own a TINNY the good stuff just follows you everywhere!! LOL.....

Really I will watch this and see it throught till the end with you....

WZ

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks WZ, it will be a couple years before I can get it finished. Time, money and area to work are all major factors. We actually had fairly nice weather here today, I think it touched 50 :D

WeldZilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah my boat is too big to get indoors too. I can get the stern of the boat just inside my garage door but thats it. I need a nice pole building. Till then I keep it covered and wait for the good days to do the work it needs done, The good news is all the work is optional so I can take it out and enjoy it. I will enjoy it more when I get it to what i want.

WZ.

Enjoy your nice days cuz the jet stream is lining up to run right over the country and the rain storms are getting ready to starting rolling in..That will probably mean snow your way....

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Bn,
Do anything to "her" this weekend?
Pop over to my thread, I posted a bunch of new stuff just now.
Dave

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I actually didn't work on it over my 11 days off. Had to much other stuff going on. I'm hoping to get the motor pulled out this week along with the fuel tanks. That's the major hold up at the moment.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

WARNING: The following stunts were performed by an ammature boat builder, do not attempt at home!

This morning I got the motor and fuel tanks pulled out. There were 16 lag bolts holding the motor mounts in, none of them would come out since the wood was so rotton. Since I'm replacing everything anyway I just pulled the motor straight out. Well kind of, the intermediate housing didn't want to come through the transom hole but I got it out with little damage.

This is all the higher I could get the motor at first attempt, I had to set it back down on the upper deck and re-do my chains.

IMG_2715.jpg

IMG_2718.jpg

IMG_2719.jpg

IMG_2720.jpg

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I had a whole mess of carp to clean out of the bilge.

Before:

IMG_2726.jpg

After:

IMG_2727.jpg

I got a little fiberglass damage trying to get the intermediate housing through the transom hole. It doesn't really make any difference though since it's all getting filled in.

IMG_2722.jpg

IMG_2721.jpg

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I also got the fuel tanks pulled out. Port side was empty and there was about 10 gallons of varnish in the Starboard tank.

Port side out:

IMG_2725.jpg

Starboard side out:

IMG_2724.jpg

Tanks and garbage from the bilge on the forks ready to be lowered down.

IMG_2728.jpg

We are supposed to have some really good weather this week so I'm hoping to get the upper deck pulled out (I'm unsure of the correct term). I also need to pull all the wiring and steering cable still. After that I can start gutting out the rotten wood and grinding! Yay!!! :(

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

You taught your blue beast to fly too eh!

IMG_2718.jpg

My equipment wasn't as nice as yours:redface:

P1000800.jpg

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

You taught your blue beast to fly too eh!

My equipment wasn't as nice as yours:redface:

Those blue beast are pretty good at flying, right to the scrapyard :D That bobcat is such a time saver and I get to use it for free. Well not really, I spent 3 days helping lay hardwood floors in return. There was no way I would have been able to do that with just an engine hoist.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I forgot to mention I got some paperwork from the PO the other day and the boat is a '73 so I will update my title.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hope the New Year is good to you and yours...Glad to see progress BN...just beware of flying blue beast poop coming from the sky...could be messy...:eek:

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

You are going to replace the whole transom right? It looks pretty chewed up there (I don?t know inboard terminology) where the leg or whatever it is called sticks out the hole.
You must be very happy to work in the sun vs the tarp.:cool:
Good luck
Dave:D

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

All the transom wood is going to be replaced and that big gaping hole will be glassed in then cut out for a mercruiser. It's nice working in the sun, it was in the mid 60's today but with kids appointments and such I didn't get much done. Weather is supposed to hold out for the next week or so. I did start cutting the tabbing to get the upper deck out today. A few more minutes of grinding and I should be able to lift it out.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

A little morning demo work. I got the upper deck pulled out. Ended up cutting it in half to get it out, no biggie though as I'm gonna build a whole new one instead of trying to recore this one.

IMG_2729.jpg

IMG_2730.jpg

Big block of foam under the upper deck, pulled right out though :D

IMG_2731.jpg

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I cut out part of the deck also so I could inspect the stringers. You guessed it, they need replaced. I think they are good enough I can use them as templates though. There are 6 stringers all together.

IMG_2732.jpg

IMG_2733.jpg

IMG_2734.jpg

I also found these blocks of wood down the center under the deck. Not sure what they are for.

IMG_2735.jpg

These strips of wood were glassed in infront of those wood blocks.

IMG_2738.jpg