1958 14' Fleetform

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1958 14' Fleetform

If you want to use epoxy, you can, but it forces you to use epoxy thru out the rebuild. Poly resin will not adhere well to epoxy.

I'm glad to have attempted to help you w/ your project.

Sorry, unsubscribed.

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow thats great that you care enough to put more effort in than I did obviously.:cool:

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alright, I know I'm stupid for even asking this but my friend is getting a jet ski that goes over 70. I like speed to much to let him go faster than me... Is it even possible to get my boat close to that speed? Im pretty sure my boat would flip going that fast, but I'd only go that fast in flat seas. I KNOW i'm GETTING AHEAD OF MYSELF but i was just wondering because he just told me. Don't try to be nice or anything, just break it to me that I'm insane or if its even slightly possible.

matt167

Captain

You can probably get it to 55 MPH with enough motor but it would not be a very safe experience on anything but glass. You can probably push the hull rating by 15-20 HP and still be ok. The hull was rated for 40hp and it would probably get 35-40 MPH MPH on glass with a motor in perfect tune.

I would question what his jetski is that is able to have a top speed of 70 MPH, not unlikely, but many older 5-600 CC Skis won't get close to that speed and those things are common and really cheap.. If your friend is your age, he can't drive it for a few more years, and not without a boater safety course. So by the time he can possibly go 70 MPH, you will have arleady matured enough and figured out why it's not a good idea for your boat.

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh belive me I know that would be dangerous. Just as everyone else I have the billion videos of boats flipping and porpoising at high speeds. It's a kawasaki 1100, and in Delaware you can drive PWCs at 14 with the certificate and a parent and I'm going fishing this weekend for his 14th birthday. So now I've decide I'll only go to 55 W hp, its not like his dad would let him go that fast anyway.I think the ammount of accesories I'm putting on it, a 55 hp won't do much more than a 40 would if the boat was stock.What speed am I looking at? We're making the jetski a fishing jetski too, so that'll be fun.

briangcc

Commander

Just checking in to see where things stood and all I can say is...Wow. Wow you jump around alot.

You really need to heed everyone's advice that they've been giving you from the outset...Slow Down! You really need to develop a plan of attack for your boat. Forget what your friend may or may not be getting as a jetski as its completely immaterial to what you are doing.

If this were my project boat with my son, here's how I'd be attacking it (and remember, I've never done this before so I'll be missing a few steps):

1. Finish sanding the inside of the boat.
2. Obtain the materials for the transom.
3. Install transom to get experience working with Poly, PB, Cloth, etc.
4. Install stringers.
5. At this point I'd be flipping the boat to finish the outside. My reasoning is that I've just added the rigidity needed to not flex the boat while sanding/fairing.
6. Sand/fair/paint (or gel) the exterior hull.
7. Reflip and install decking/foam (if applicable). I like safety so if foam was there originally, I'd be reinstalling it. This is a personal preference.
8. Sand/fair cap.
9. Paint cap.
10. Install cap.
11. At this point, I'd be concerned with installing the motor as I'd need to install controls/wiring.
12. Determine location for portable 6gal fuel tank and hose.
13. Install interior.
14. Trailer - I remember reading that you don't have one yet so at this point I'd be looking to get one. Refurb if it is used so you know the parts are new & correct.
15. Splash & enjoy.

As for the jetski...you won't keep up with him in a boat. The jetski has too much power and too little weight compared to your boat. Keep your first boat safe as we'd like to see you around for a while. So finish this one off first and then start looking for your next one.

So if you look at the way I've laid out my gameplan...you're at step 1, possibly 2 and not step 11.

Again, I'm no expert. I have read through a number of resto threads on this site and also have experience restoring a classic car. Those with more experience than I are waiting to help you IF you're willing to slow down and take their recommendations. With their help, you can complete this and have a fun & safe time out on the water.

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

SandingDay1010.jpg
That's all I got done today because I'm unbearabley itchy. Am I wrong for doing the sanding on the whole boat before the transom or should I finish the inside first?

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can't get that bow peice off by the way, I think I'm going to just have to cut the bolts.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Soooo...I guess you did not take out advice about wearing a tyvek suit an coating yourself with baby powder prior to any sanding and or grinding of fiberglass.:confused:

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was about to buy a tyvek suit but I figured it would rip climbing in and out the boat and I don't have any baby powder. You rub it on before you sand/grind?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Tyvek is tough, baby powder goes on before fiberglass exposure.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Tyvek suit and Baby Powder Total costs is less than $10 bucks.

briangcc

Commander

Reading that the OP is itchier than all heck after not heeding advice given back on Page 1 for a Tyvek suit - PRICELESS.

Sorry OP but you're doing this all to yourself. You gotta READ the responses to your questions and actually ACT on them. And for your own sake...SLOW DOWN!!!!!

I'm jumping ship...this is a wreck waiting to happen.

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

StringerIdea.jpg
Can I do this but with plywood? I like it, it seems like it would make my foor at the perfect height.

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

And then can I do the orginal plywood stringers that lay down under it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Uhmmm...You need to put the boat back exactly like you found her. The engineers that originally designed and built the hull did it for some very good reasons. If you start re-designing the structure, you can seriously compromise the structural integrity of the hull unless you are a nautical engineer. But...That's...
images

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

How do I get a floor then? It would have the same stringer set up but supports for the floor.

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bulkhead.png
Like that but with you know, more bulkheads or cross-beams or whatever.

denlynn36

Seaman

However the floor was originally installed.....?
I enjoy this thread, it makes me smile :) I was just going to commend JB on his help and patience and then he checked out lol (understandably)... keep at it young man, I like your determination! Most kids your age are spending all that time playing video games.
Just slow down and stay safe, I like speed too, but not in the garage or on the water.
Den