14 ft. Tri-hull Boat Total Rebuild

Andy in NY

Commander
Re: 14 ft. Tri-hull Boat Total Rebuild

Im surprised it hasnt really been brought up till a few days ago with bob vt... but all that wood needs to be sealed. you are a fool if you dont, it will be rotted in no time.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah I am planning on sealing it.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

I might take some things apart but probably not everything. I think if I seal the flats, the exposed edges, and the corners good, should probably be ok. It's not like my boat is gonna be seeing lots of water inside. It's primarily for fishing so the only water that will get in it with regular use is watevr you have wen you land a fish or something. Its not big enough to ski or tube with so wont have that sort of thing. In all reality it will be a fairly light used boat as well. I have a small electric motor only reservoir within 15 min of my place but thats all. If I want any kind of bigger water I got to drive a ways which isn't gonna be happening every other wknd. And when Im not using it, it will be covered so I think I should be ok.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm finally getting doing something that makes it look like I'm getting somewhere! I got some of the first primer on tonight! Got the transom and one side done. (didn't get started till late). Sure changes the look of the whole thing and is getting me inspired to turn up the heat on it! I gotta turn it up anyway cuz I want it useable for vacation in august and thats catching up to me rather fast!! :eek:

I'll see if I can post some pix of what I got done.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok here's the transom. I did this first. Ha! Beats the "coat of many colors" that it used to have! :cool: Sorry bout the pic quality - pix were taken with my fone.

0707092200.jpg

And here's the side. I didn't have enough time to get the bottom done. Maybe tomorrow night.

0707092225.jpg

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Had the biggest setback tonight of the whole project so far...found out that some of the paint on the bottom is not sticking well as I had originally thot. So...instead of finishing my primer, I need to get the paint off. :(

Does anyone have a gud suggestion on the easiest way to get this done?? Im afraid my deadline is gonna come up short. I was tight the way it was and now this interruption might push me over. Unless there is a really quick way to get that paint off!

I have an electric grinder with a sanding wheel I tried using a little. Works sorta. Takes stock off pretty aggressive making it challenging to get a smooth job. Then the wheel gets all gummed up with paint and gotta put a new one on. :( I have some fiberglass solvent wash i wiped on which softened the paint some and I was able to scrape a certain amount off.

Now does anyone have any other ideas or reccomendations!?? I could use a great idea ASAP! I guess I didn't check the paint well enough back when I had sanded it.

Btw, it's paint that is on top of the original gel-coat.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey I dunno....maybe that would take it off. I dont have one. Would have to get the thing drug out of the shop to do that. Shoulda tried that when I first got it before I did anything to it! Bum deal! ;-)

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got primer on the cap this eve. Now I'm gonna have to figure out how to get the old paint off the bottom. I'm thinking of maybe trying a paint remover and see if that works. I don't think that will hurt the original gel coat would it?

Rickairmedic

Commander

Singinout looking good . I have only managed to get one side of mine painted so far so I still have the bottom other side and top to paint plus painting inside after I get the Deck and such back in :D.

On your question try some of the citrus stripper from Homie desperate to remove the paint that should do the trick for you .

Rick

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanx Rick! Ha yeah desperate wud be a perty close description! I was so not in a good humor the other night when I found out it had to all come off! lol

cheesegrits

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What a cool hull!
I agree with andy in ny you really need to seal all edges and flats or it will rot from the bottom up. Also bondo is most definitly NOT waterproof. Also polyester cannot be applied over epoxy, it will pop off! Epoxy can be applied over polyester. Rather than bondo you need a fairing compound. You can make your own using epoxy mixed with microspheres or wood flour. Or there are several ones available commercially just google it. Any air gap under your floor will hold moisture and rot the floor. What about rain? Where will it go?

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

What a cool hull!
I agree with andy in ny you really need to seal all edges and flats or it will rot from the bottom up. Also bondo is most definitly NOT waterproof. Also polyester cannot be applied over epoxy, it will pop off! Epoxy can be applied over polyester. Rather than bondo you need a fairing compound. You can make your own using epoxy mixed with microspheres or wood flour. Or there are several ones available commercially just google it. Any air gap under your floor will hold moisture and rot the floor. What about rain? Where will it go?

Thanx! I like it too! ;-)

Yeah I think I will try to seal it all up. On the bondo..wont putting primer and paint over it seal it from water? Like I had said in an earlier post I do not have it below the waterline. My application wouldn't really be any different than a vehicle that you would use it on. Its on areas that may get wet sometimes but never be submerged.

There is just a small gap for water to be able to run to the back in the event any gets in there. I dont think much should tho. Rain can run to the back of the boat to the cavity where my bilge is. I dont have the decks sealed against the edges of the boat for that reason. Also I plan to keep my boat covered so rain getting in would be very minimal. I dont like fishing in the rain either, btw! ;)

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just thot id drop by and give a bit of an update on my boat. Nothing real major has happened since last post. Been really bizy with work and haven't had much time. Also leaving on a several day trip thurs. eve so that will be a dead spell as well..:(

On Sat. I did take the lower end on my outboard apart and checked out the pump. Figured out I need a new pump kit and also some seals for the electric primer sys. I called my local marine store today and he has both in stock so just gotta pick them up. That should take care of the outboard.

Got my hinges cut this eve for the hatches. I'm hoping I can get the paint stripped sometime this week before I leave on my trip.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

O yeah one ? I had that I forgot to ask. Is there a difference between marine carpet and exterior carpet? Before too long I'm gonna need to get carpet for my boat. I was planning on ordering marine carpet but I seen some guys on here are just using exterior carpet from a home improvement store. Do they work all the same? Is there an advantage of one over the other?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I have "marine" carpet in mine that I ordered from BassPro. I think it's fairly terrible so I'd have a hard time believing that exterior would be any worse. Unless you were going to go with some really high-end marine carpet I would just go with whatever is cheapest. The stuff I have is so coarse it's like velcro. It gets dirty and stays dirty like nobody's business. Definitely get a color that won't show every little spec of dirt like I did (navy blue). Can you tell I've decided that I hate the carpet in my boat? :p

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have "marine" carpet in mine that I ordered from BassPro. I think it's fairly terrible so I'd have a hard time believing that exterior would be any worse. Unless you were going to go with some really high-end marine carpet I would just go with whatever is cheapest. The stuff I have is so coarse it's like velcro. It gets dirty and stays dirty like nobody's business. Definitely get a color that won't show every little spec of dirt like I did (navy blue). Can you tell I've decided that I hate the carpet in my boat? :p

Roflol!! That funny! Yeah Im detecting you have a slight distaste for your carpet! :D I was thinking of getting a medium/light grey color. Just curious, what carpet was it that you got from Bass Pro? I was actually looking at some there. Maybe I should just go to Lowes and be done with it?

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer

do tell on the carpet, Im about to get some Home Depot stuff for mine (in stock and cheap)