14 ft. Tri-hull Boat Total Rebuild

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 14 ft. Tri-hull Boat Total Rebuild

Yeah thats pretty much what I had been looking at. I wonder if there is a way to tell from a sample if the carpet has those ingenious characteristics!?:eek:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Here's how....wear black socks. Take your shoes off. Walk on sample so some fuzzies come off onto the carpet. If the fuzzies are then unable to be removed with anything short of a jet powered vacuum cleaner you don't want it :)

Andy in NY

Commander

IMO you are making a mistake using bondo... the paint and primer wont seal it completly, and just from the moisture its going to be exposed to on the water one day it will just fall off. You really should use something designed for marine use.

on the sealing of the deck, again moisture will find its way in. seal all 4 sides with resin, if using poly then you will need to glass the top of the deck for strength. i did my 16' for under 100 bucks for 1 gal of resin and the small 8 sq ft packages of woven cloth from advance auto.

regarding carpet, IMO it doesnt belong on a boat, unless its snap in where it can be removed when not in use. carpet will hold moisture and then will seep into your unsealed deck, and you will be doing this all over again in a few years.

chumslinger

Seaman Apprentice

i used homedepo grey outdoor carpet in my 14 foot runabout, and it turned out great. i just glued it down with the recommended glue. im not worried if it gets dirty, i can just hose it down. i like the feel of the carpet on my bare feet better than the slippery f/g finish..........nate

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cool! Im about to go and just get some exterior! Is there no one on here that wants to make some sort of shout out about the great virtues of marine carpet versus exterior stuff???

I would have thot someone on here would have but maybe not....Im about to support my local Lowes store.

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Cool! Im about to go and just get some exterior! Is there no one on here that wants to make some sort of shout out about the great virtues of marine carpet versus exterior stuff???

I would have thot someone on here would have but maybe not....Im about to support my local Lowes store.

Carpet is carpet as long as it isnt meant to go in your living room. I am a carpet hater too! I mean, its like having carpet in your bathroom...just aint right. A good exterior paint with non slip is SOOOOO much better. I mean when dirty, you scrub it with a brush and hose it. When worn out, you scrub it with a brush and repaint it. If you change your mind you scrub it and repaint it. Also, from the non sealed wood in your boat i have a feeling you may be doing this again soon and what you will have to deal with then is this!

boat001.jpg

:mad:

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Carpet is carpet as long as it isnt meant to go in your living room. I am a carpet hater too! I mean, its like having carpet in your bathroom...just aint right. A good exterior paint with non slip is SOOOOO much better. I mean when dirty, you scrub it with a brush and hose it. When worn out, you scrub it with a brush and repaint it. If you change your mind you scrub it and repaint it.

Well I like carpet and my boat is going to have some. Alot of guyz put carpet in and most new boats have it too. That's fine tho if you don't like it - each to their own preferences! ;)

Now I dont understand why this keeps coming up:
Also, from the non sealed wood in your boat i have a feeling you may be doing this again soon and what you will have to deal with then is this!

Back not so long ago, I said this (in case you missed it).
Posted by singinout:
Yeah I am planning on sealing it.
Just because it didn't happen yet dont mean its not going to. I am still planning to do it!

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

....On your question try some of the citrus stripper from Homie desperate to remove the paint that should do the trick for you .
Rick

Hey Rick! Just wanted to thank you for your terrific suggestion! I used that stuff and got all the paint finished stripped off tonight! Works awesome!!! Beats that grinder thing any day! Now just gotta hit it with a sander and I'll be ready to roll with the rest of the priming! Thanx a million! It was a total life saver!!!

:)

Andy in NY

Commander

Well I like carpet and my boat is going to have some. Alot of guyz put carpet in and most new boats have it too. That's fine tho if you don't like it - each to their own preferences! ;)

Now I dont understand why this keeps coming up:

Back not so long ago, I said this (in case you missed it).

Just because it didn't happen yet dont mean its not going to. I am still planning to do it!

IF you are dead set on carpet, then I would suggest a snap in carpet... that way when you get home from an outing it can be removed.

tallcanadian

Captain

I love carpet. I put it in mine and it's on it's 3rd season. No fading or staining. I do a lot of fishing and no fish smells. I used Auto/Marine grade carpet. The mistake I made when I installed it was that the person working at the hardware store recommended all purpose adhesive. DO NOT use all purpose adhesive. Use outdoor or marine grade adhesive. What a mess I had. Every time it rained the carpet lifted and I had white residue that ran to the back of the boat. Anyway, just my two cents worth. Great looking project, by the way. I love tri hulls.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanx TC!

Yeah I got the whole boat primed tonight! It looks great! I'll try to get some pix posted here tonight!

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is the boat right before primer. If you remember wat it looked like from previous pix, that paint remover worked awesome!!
0722091828a.jpg

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

I thot it turned out nice. Might do a second coat on some parts of it.
0722091926a.jpg

Rickairmedic

Commander

Looking good man glad the stripper worked out . I hope to have the bottom of my Hull Primed tomorrow night :D.

Rick

drewpster

Commander

And I am still trying to just get the stringers done in mine. :( Good job!

Rickairmedic

Commander

Oh Andy we have stringers they just dont rot away when exposed to water :D:D.

Rick

tallcanadian

Captain

Singinout looking good . I have only managed to get one side of mine painted so far so I still have the bottom other side and top to paint plus painting inside after I get the Deck and such back in :D.

On your question try some of the citrus stripper from Homie desperate to remove the paint that should do the trick for you .

Rick

Is there a brand name on this stuff?

drewpster

Commander

Dont want to speak for Rick, but I think he is talking about Citristrip paint stripper. Good stuff, used it many times.