Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 14 ft. Tri-hull Boat Total Rebuild

Test fitting the seat base...

P8100244.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

.....The deck will have 2 compartments. On the pic, the one on the right will be where the gas tank and cranking battery will go. The other will be used for general storage.

Re-think that. I would not put the battery in the same cubby as the fuel tank unless you build a seperator and isolate it.

Great work ...... I like the console.

erikgreen

Captain

Nice woodwork.

Looking at that body filler, are you sure it's sufficiently waterproof? Most car type and furniture fillers absorb too much water to be used below the waterline.

I can't see anything in the links you sent or some quick web searches to find that out... did someone recommend it for underwater use?

I know I'd never use Bondo underwater, and I'd hate to see some of your work go to waste...

Erik

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok guyz, that pretty much catches me up to my current status! So anything added from now on will be current. The updates may come in a bit slower...:( I will try to keep things moving tho.

Last night I did work at glassing over the top of the transom, tying it to the fiberglass and sealing the top. I also was wrking at figuring out the top part of my console where the gauges go. O yeah, and the paint was picked up this past wknd so wenever I can get around to it, the stuff is ready to go. Till I find a big enough window of time to do that, there's plenty of other small things to wrk at! :)

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bob - that had never crossed my mind until I was typing out that post and I wondered if that would be a prob. I figured if it was someone wud say. :) Thanx! No big deal to put it in the other compartment.

Erik - I dont believe I used it below the waterline. The majority is on the top rail filling screw holes. I just figured if it was waterproof enough to use on autos it would work for boats?

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tonight I got the upper part of the console constructed where the gauges will go. Maybe tomorrow I'll be able to finish it up and maybe see how fiberglassing goes on it.

Speaking of gauges....I had a question. Which gauges are necessary and which are just "nice to have"? I do not have an endless $ source so I'm not looking to spend $ I dont have to. Gauges are somewhat pricy and I'm wondering which ones I NEED. I'm planning for sure to put in a speedo and volt gauge. My next up would probably be the tach. How necessary or useful is that? I would also do a fuel gauge but I'm just using a portable tank with a sight gauge so at this time that wouldn't be needful.

Any thots on the gauges???

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice woodwork......
Erik

Thanx Erik! My dad and I have a furniture shop. We manufacturer dining room chairs. We specialize in antique and old world reproduction furniture. So its rather natural to use wood and also to make sure its "nice" ! ;)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The only gauge I find to be necessary is a tach. They are very useful in determining the correct trim and prop to make sure you're able to operate in the appropriate WOT range for your motor. Plus they have the added benefit of letting you know your charging system is working since they operate by reading the pulses from the alternator. I also installed a speedo on my boat and I hate it. They are a pain to install because you have to run the air line back and through the transom and they aren't very accurate and don't register at all for slow speeds. I wish I hadn't gotten one. Just use a GPS or get a fish finder with the speed reading paddle wheel add-on. A volt meter and an temperature gauge would be nice-to-haves.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanx ezmobee! Does anyone else agree or have additional input?

Nico2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

You really know your way around woodwork:D (no wonder, you are a pro!)

The console is great!

I'm really enjoying this:)

Keep it up mate.

I agree with Ezmobee about the tach; I only have 3 gauges in my boat, tach, fuel and speedometer, and the only one that matters is the tach.
I wish I had a trim gauge:rolleyes:

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!! iboats works again!! Did you other guyz have issues with the forum the last couple days?? I couldnt hardly do anything. It took like 5 minutes every time I clicked something. So thats why I havent been saying anything! :)

Ok it looks lik the tach is supposed to be the most important instrument and other things fall in 2nd place. Thanx for your input.

Current progress.....I have the top of the console where the gauges go basically finished. I got it fiberglassed and now today I painted it. Will need one more coat yet. Im testing out the paint I got for the boat. So far I like it.

Hoping tomorrow to get my boat trailer taken to the welding shop. Prolly wont get anything else done boat-wise as we got alot of wrk outside to do tomorrow. Also thinkin of going online and ordering some more parts tonight for finishing the boat. Not sure what yet. Only got so much $ to blow so gotta decide what comes first and is most important! ;)

Hope y'all are still making progress on all your projects! Glad to be back in the land of the living again! Ha!:D

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok got that done! Got my steering system ordered! Ka-ching!! :D

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Thanx ezmobee! Does anyone else agree or have additional input?

On gauges..

Oil pressure
Tach
Voltage
Temp

Speed is just a state of mind..use a gps or as EZ said, fishfinder w/paddle wheel..As you get to know your boat, you'll have a good feel for how fast your going anyway

Bob_VT

Staff member

Yup tach is about the most important gauge but I do enjoy a water pressure gauge too to keep an eye on the pump.

What are you going to use to seal all the wood up? How will you seal up the parts that are not exposed?

I like the layout.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Outboard dude.....

Yeah its a 2 cycle so uses a gas/oil mixture.

Bob - not quite sure yet. Was figuring some sort of epoxy or something but hadnt got around to looking at my options yet. Have a suggestion?

Yeah I like the layout so far! It'll be set up basically like a bass boat. Will have a several inch raised "box" that's about seat depth and runs the entire width of the boat. I'll mount the console seat on it permanently. On the left side, I'm gonna put a seat base. That way I can drop one of my pedestal seats in (minus the pedestal) while driving and it can be removed and used on either deck while fishing. This will also open things up a bit and not have the passenger seat in the way. Planning on getting 3 seats total. One of the most things I like is the amount of storage I'll have. Im supposing you cant really have too much of that. ;)

Bob_VT

Staff member

Sealing the wood with resin (regardless if it is epoxy or polyester) is a good idea and the edges are where water will be absorbed.

I would piece by piece take things apart to make sure you seal the "unseen" wood and then re-assemble. I would also use some fiberglass cloth and tab the joints. I guess my primary concern would be to prevent water intrusion.

The storage plans are great...... If you are close to water.... I would float the hull/motor and see what effects it has on balance. I see in an early picture that the fuel tank was located up front by the console.

Your woodworking skills are showing up very nicely.

Once you get everything sealed, sanded and prepped for paint.... I would go with a simple roll and tip method.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Found out today the primer and paint i got are not compatable with each other altho they are both Interlux products. Got new primer ordered....:rolleyes:

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

O man! Ive been doing rather poorly on updates lately. Especially pix. Some of the problem is nothing much has occured that is picture worthy. Which basically means nothing real major has happened.:( Been really bizy lately and haven't had alot of time to work on it.

Last night I did get the transom glassed the final time. Jst needs touch up sanding and it will be done. Also began glassing the main part of the console. Got a little bit to do on that yet. Need to get some more cloth first. Also got the new primer in. Hit the gauge box with it. Didn't get a chance to paint it yet.

So that's perty much it for now...the steering system should be coming tomorrow. As always, gud luck to y'all!!