14 ft. Tri-hull Boat Total Rebuild

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 14 ft. Tri-hull Boat Total Rebuild

Here's the frame work all finished for the casting deck. Notice the rod storage compartments on the right and left sides of the deck.

P6100066.jpg

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's the completed casting deck with the decking and lid popped in for a test fit. The battery will be in that compartment and the rest of the space will be used to store anchor, life jackets, ect.

P6100069.jpg

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now the transom....maybe I never had mentioned this before but the transome on the boat was ROTTEN. Like crumby damp wood kind of rotten. I had tried to start digging it out from the top but there was just enough of hard wood left in it to make that a difficult task. We had thot at first maybe we could remove the top cap. However, the cap is fiberglassed to the side of the hull so we gave that idea up. I did not read through your threads relating to this..perhaps there would have been some way to do it anyway. Anyway, so we were down to digging it out from the top or just forgetting it. For awhile we just skipped it and decided we'd just have to forget about ever getting an outboard for it. But I kept working at it and actually got somewhere. Between hammers and screwdrivers and long drill bits we managed to get most of it removed. Once we got a spot cleared the whole way down past the bottom of the splashboard, things went alot faster. We eventually got it all out.

Now the really interesting part! Replace a transom without having the cap off!! Both top ends of the old transom remained relatively intact and we were able to use them for a pattern on the new transom. The transom ended up being "laminated" with 3 layers of 1/2" of exterior plywood. All three layers were securely glued to each other by builder's adhesive. Believe me, once that stuff is set and cured - it is ROCK hard! The whole thing turned out much better than ever expected and it is very solid.

Here's the transom glued and clamped in place. I also used some bolts to pull it tight together in the bottom half.

P6100071.jpg

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking at the inside of the transom under the spashwell....btw, the transom is not split top and bottom as the picture may appear. The bottom piece is a seperate piece from the transom. It is glued and bolted onto the transom for extra thickness and also makes connection with my decking board to be able to bond the two.

P6100073.jpg

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Btw, on some current status...I got the paint and primer ordered for the boat. Should be in sometime next week.

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

You are moving at a remarkable pace, I feel like that turtle from tv Mr. Slowski :D

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lol!! Hey don't be downhearted!! Im not HALF as fast as I appear! ;-) See, I am a little farther on my boat than my pix show. I had all that done before I ever started this thread. I'm just posting as I have time trying to catch up to my current status.:) If I remember right, I started redoing the inside last spring. So I've been at it over a year....I don't actually look fast at all! :) I have so much other stuff going, its hard to spend an awful lot of time working on it. Last year I was leading a youth chorus and also (totally seperate) singing on my quartet and working at recording a CD. Ha! Now maybe ya see where my username is comin from! ;-) Things take awhile when ya gotta share your time with several different interests.

My goal right now is to have it finished up to use in August. We are going to a cabin on Smith Mountain Lake (VA) this summer and I want to take my boat along. Gonna keep me stepping, I can tell!!

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

My goal right now is to have it finished up to use in August. We are going to a cabin on Smith Mountain Lake (VA) this summer and I want to take my boat along. Gonna keep me stepping, I can tell!!
you should have fun up there I heard it's very nice. I've lived in VA for 9 years and still have not made it there. Another iboats member is supose to vacation there pretty soon also and he's bringing his resto too :cool:

I've made some progress this weekend myself, I took pic's but I think I'll hold off on posting them for awhile although I have already added them to share a project.

mthieme

Captain

Some of the lines make me think this is a McKee Craft....the distinctive bend of the sides and the console look identical to mine.
However, that's where it ends.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh, something else I just thot about that I never mentioned. The boat does not have a hull #. It has a number on the back but some sources have told me that it's not a hull #. Maybe a serial # or something??? Maybe this will give some clues to the make.

On the back left side of the transom:

GR

I think thats the #. Id need to double check for sure. The "GR" part is centered under the # just like I typed it. Any ideas???

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

you should have fun up there I heard it's very nice. I've lived in VA for 9 years and still have not made it there. Another iboats member is supose to vacation there pretty soon also and he's bringing his resto too :cool:

I've made some progress this weekend myself, I took pic's but I think I'll hold off on posting them for awhile although I have already added them to share a project.

Looking forward to the pix!! Gud luck on ur project!!

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Was trying to compile a list of all the things I need to get yet....don't do that. Its not an uplifting activity! lol! All I know is it's alot of $ to spend before vacation in August!!:(

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

I blocked the boat up in the middle and rolled it on its side to work at sanding it. Our first intention was too flip it upside down but it was too heavy for me and my dad to flip so we resorted to this. I guess we'll paint it the same way.

P6170078.jpg

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Remember that side console I cut off? We cut the fiberglass back to where it was flat. (we = me and my dad. we're basically wrkin at the whole project together) Once it was cut back, we glued a 1/2" piece of exterior plywood behind the thin strip of wood that was there with builder's adhesive. After the adhesive was cured, we glassed the wood until we had it built up to the relatively same level as the rest of the original side.

P7070087.jpg

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Used a racecar strip sander to sand down the top of edge of the original glass. It was raised a bit where the console was molded into the side.

P7070089.jpg

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here the glass is built up to the level of the sides. Glass was sanded down with the strip sander.

Sorry bout the quality of some of these pix...not sure what was up!:confused:

P7080092.jpg

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

After we got the glass sanded as best we could, we used automotive body filler to fill in the little air pockets in the glass job. Worked good and sanded up very nicely. Can't wait to paint it and see how it looks! :)

P7080094.jpg

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

The guy that had this boat before had all kinds of crazy things screwed onto it all over the place. So there was alot of screw holes to fix. We used the body filler on this too. It sets up good and sands up terrific.

P7070088.jpg

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Same thing here - some bolt holes in the transom fiberglass I'm not gonna use filled with body filler. Gotta dig the last guys taste in paint colors! lol! Before I sanded the transom any it said "Lil Peaches"!! Humph!:eek:

P7080095.jpg

slvrwolf1

Seaman

looks like you are coming along nice. I havent started my project yet on the sea sprite but may keep it for a fall restore project.