14 ft. Tri-hull Boat Total Rebuild

Nico2112

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 14 ft. Tri-hull Boat Total Rebuild

Yeah, it's coming along great:D

I'm going to be doing some hull nicks filling too, and I was wondering if I could use auto body filler. I know I can't get the exact same brand as you, but what are the filler specs?

At my local hardware store, they carry Sherwin Williams premium body filler, and they say it's the best one they have:rolleyes:

Kudos on your work so far!

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

LOL Singinout, some folks shouldn't be allowed near drills of any sort, my PO must of had a fetish for swiss cheese :D

Coming along nicely it seems, looking forward to watching the progress!

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

One thing I forgot to mention about the transom holes. Before using the body filler we mixed up epoxy and filled the holes as good as we could before smoothing it off with the body filler.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just droppin by before i hang it up tonite. I have some more pix to add yet to get my thread caught up with the current status of my boat. So it's a wee little farther than the pix show so far. I'll try to get them up asap. Wont be tomorrow night cause I'm going with some of my guy frenz to a cabin on the Susquehannah River. Gonna have a sleepover and then go boating on the river Saturday. Renting a bowrider from one of my frenz. Also renting a jet ski. I'm prayin the sun's gonna shine! Accuweather showed it supposed to be partly sunny most of the day. Other forecasts were a bit iffy....so hope it turns out great! I'm ready to hit some water! Even if its not on my boat! :D

Neways...later! I'll be back with some more updates once I get back.

Nico2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info mate:)

Exactly what I needed. Basically I wanted to know the components so I can get a similar one here.

Seeing it's from 3M, I'm sure I can get it. 3M has it's Central American headquarters here:D

Thanks again, and have fun on your water weekend!

slvrwolf1

Seaman

sounds like a fun weekend for you..Have fun after the work you been putting in you deserve a fun filled weekend .

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanx! We had a great time! Now back to normal scheduling...:)

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok now here's where things got changed somewhat....earlier this spring my family planned to vacation this summer @ Smith Mountain Lake in VA. We wanted the boat done to take along. The more we thot about it, the more we decided it HAD to have an outboard. Then we decided that a steering console would end up being nicer in the long run. So....we ended up buying this outboard. Its a 1987 Johnson SPL 28 h.p. with remote controls. It has a small gas leak as I had mentioned in a different thread. It fired right off on a test start before I bought it so shouldn't take much more than a tune-up and some minor repairs. I got it for $450.

0511090911.jpg

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok watever! I was going to post some more pix tonight but photobucket is acting STUPID!! Im beginning to hate that website! Everytime I try to get into my albums or something it jst goes to Ask.com. Even if its just sitting there doing nothing it will suddenly bring that up. Cant even hardly use the site! :mad: Didn't use to do that. Jst ben doing it the last coupl wks. Tonite was really bad! Anyone else have this problem?

Guess I'll hang it up for now. Y'all have a great night!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yeah photobucket is still crapped. I tried to log into it this morning to check my own pictures to see if I had a shot of something another member might need to look at for his project. Wouldn't even let me log in.

Anyway, the 28 is a great motor. Good luck with it.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok I'll try this again and see if it wrking any better. (thanx for the other site keepNitreel, I may have to check it out).

Ok so we changed the plans from making the boat tiller steer to having remote steering. I built a small console for it. Here's the beginnings of it:

P7310214.jpg

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here its mostly put together....It is made out of 1/2" exterior plywood. It will then be fiberglassed and painted.

P7310217.jpg

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Finished console box....needs the corners rounded before fiberglassing yet. Also will have a "box" fastened on top of the console to mount the gauges in. That will be done before the glassing.

P8010218.jpg

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok we'll leave the console for now and finish that later. Another part of the new plan was to build a rear fishing deck behind the driver's seat at the back of the boat, similar to the one in the front. The deck will have 2 compartments. On the pic, the one on the right will be where the gas tank and cranking battery will go. The other will be used for general storage.

P8020219.jpg

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's a shot from the stern looking forward with the partially completed rear deck, and the partly finished console setting in its approximate location.

P8020221.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'm liking the layout. Nice work.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you look on the previous pic, you'll see the plywood strip between the 2 hatch openings. I'm going to mount a pedestal seat back there so I had to cut a hole in that piece to accept the seat base. First, I marked the circle with a pencil and then unscrewed it. I then used a 1" drill bit and drilled a series of holes around the edge. This was so I could use a SawsAll to cut the circle out. (I dint have a big enough hole saw)

P8100242.jpg

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Then I clamped the board to a work table and used the SawsAll......

P8100243.jpg