12' 1960s AeroCraft restoration

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 12' 1960s AeroCraft restoration

Well the guy has not called me or emailed back so unfortunately I'm assuming someone beat me to the sweet old Merc:mad:

I guess I need to get Rick and his CL posse to harass people to hold the motor next time around:D I miss out on some great deals since I'm unable to email outbound from the work computers:eek:

Maybe a blackberry would be a good boat restoration investment? I'm starting to think that's why everyone has blackberries in the SC club:)

It's vintage Merc hunting season again for Huron Angler...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Maybe a blackberry would be a good boat restoration investment? I'm starting to think that's why everyone has blackberries in the SC club:)

Nah, I'm a charter member in the SC club and I barely have a cell phone at all :)

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I am posting this from the road in Miami on my palm pre....
Stopped awhile this morning and checked CL Miami for boat junk since I am here.....
Get email through my phone, google maps, gps, a great camera..

But my thumbs hurt now..lol:D

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Well the guy has not called me or emailed back so unfortunately I'm assuming someone beat me to the sweet old Merc:mad:

I guess I need to get Rick and his CL posse to harass people to hold the motor next time around:D I miss out on some great deals since I'm unable to email outbound from the work computers:eek:

It's vintage Merc hunting season again for Huron Angler...

http://porthuron.craigslist.org/boa/1303420303.html

not vintage but.........

Oh and looky @ woody!
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/boa/1343795304.html

Huron Angler

Admiral

Well I found this little gem of a Merc for $350, but I'm not thrilled that I'd be paying $125 more for 6hp less than the 9.9 but it is in good shape.:confused:

I'm actually thinking about buying this one because:
-the vintage is perfect for my 1960s Aerocraft
-I'm getting very impatient...I want to run an outboard before we have three feet of snow and ice covering my fishing hole
-this would be a very efficient motor=cheap to operate in case gas goes back up over $4.00
-I already have a brand new Merc tank and it comes with another one so I'd be all set to take longer trips out
-My girlfriend says I should buy a dang outboard already since my birthday is in a month and she's sick of me talking about how I need to buy a motor...and she is probably sick of me asking her to check out older Mercs(she likes checking out vintage boats;)...not so much outboards though)

The ad:

1965 mercury short shaft
2nd owner
like new
tank and stand inc
forward and rev

Attachments

• 3.9merc.jpg
    3.9merc.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 0

Huron Angler

Admiral

Huron Angler

Admiral

I have a 10 horse mercury outboard motor up for trade for $400 o.b.o. or ?????? open to ideas. (short shaft) motor runs good. Let me no what u have to trade.

CBK I may have to consider driving the 2hrs for that one if he's open to negotiating and trades...I wonder if he'd be interested in letting it go for $200 and a couple rods and reels...I have some extra fishing gear that I've accumulated that I could let go:D

New plugs, grease, clean the carb, paint the cowling and I'd be in business.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Oh yeah I forgot to post my favorite picture of the 24" Walleye.
No wonder they are so good at decimating perch:D
DSCF4231.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Huron Sr. was driving thru the state this morning so I convinced him to stop in Saginaw to look at the 4hp Merc. I believe it's a 1972. He said the thing smoked like a banshee when bucket tested and didn't seem like the best one to get, he did offer $150 at my request(the guy is asking $200) and the guy balked.

The hunt continues...

Also had the rig out in the rain yesterday rafted up with my buddies 13' tinny so the five of us could fish and drink beer comfortably and the decking worked out very well. Beads right up and keeps your feet dry if rain does collect in the bilge:)

We caught some perch, sunfish, largemouth bass, and something which is either a white bass or a black crappie if that makes any sense.

I will be posting a photo to clarify what it is we've been catching and if we should be eating them along with the perch:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

The anchor cleats that I bought for $1.50:D
I'll be buying some supplies and rebuilding the transom and middle bench hatch...while continuing to look for a smaller vintage merc
DSCF4348.jpg

DSCF4346.jpg

and on the bow, not original to the boat but makes life easier
DSCF4345.jpg

KD Fisherman

Seaman Apprentice

She is coming right along....glad to hear the deck is working out for you. I am still planning on using your deck as the model when I start working on mine this winter. Do post some pics of the fish...you guys on that side of the country have all kinds of crazy fish that we do not have in Oregon.

Cheers,
Kyle

Huron Angler

Admiral

She is coming right along....glad to hear the deck is working out for you. I am still planning on using your deck as the model when I start working on mine this winter. Do post some pics of the fish...you guys on that side of the country have all kinds of crazy fish that we do not have in Oregon.

Cheers,
Kyle

Is this a White Bass or a Black Crappie??? We've caught a few of these. All of the fish in my fishin hole are very lightly colored compared to other places.
DSCF4290.jpg

Here's something you probably recognize Kyle...Chinook Salmon from Lake Huron- these Salmon were planted starting in the 50s...there also are Atlantic salmon in the great lakes, pretty rare but I've caught a few:D
salmon.jpg

jcsercsa

Captain

Nice Fish there Huron !!! nice size crappie !!! John

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice Fish there Huron !!! nice size crappie !!! John

Hey thanks John...so it is a black crappie then I take it? Cool. Are they any good to eat?

BTW update on the vintage outboard search...Huron Sr grabbed up a 5hp Johnson that he says is going to be my birthday present. It comes with two tanks, two hoses and he ran it in a barrel and gave it the thumbs up.:D

He mentioned something about it resembling an outboard that my grandfather had for years after he got back from the Phillipines, so it is post-WWII vintage.

It is one of the older ones with the green cowling that are supposed to run like a top and are as tough as nails...so I'm looking forward to cruising around with that. I will meet him in Au Gres on Lake Huron on sunday to fish for walleye in his 24' Seaswirl and get the outboard from him:)

Huron Angler

Admiral

Transom rebuild is underway and the boat is drydocked for the first time:eek:
No fishing until she's done, that'll motivate me. Except I do have the canoe that hasn't been splashed lately...:rolleyes:back to work.

I've got a buddy who likes to fish driving up from Cincinnati on saturday so I've decided to get to it.

Drilling out the old rivets was a piece of cake and my drill is nothing special. Hammered out the old rivet caps and the old dryrotted wood came off easily. Nothing compared to larger tinnies:D
This is a larger, thicker piece than the factory...hopefully not too heavy.
DSCF4282.jpg

The data plate will be salvaged and placed on the new wood. The new transom should be much stronger and easier to deal with than the original.

I bought the 3M 5200 marine sealant, stainless steel bolts and nuts and a piece of 9.5"x12" poplar for the exterior...all for $15.

So here is the interior piece with a little wedge cut out to fit. I used a handsaw and it turned out nicely...notice I didn't say perfect. This is 11 layer ply that will be sanded thoroughly, sealed and stained and bolted.

The grain resembles the contour lines of a chart or gps.
DSCF4365.jpg

DSCF4364.jpg

ozzgood2001

Petty Officer 2nd Class

lookin sweet HA and yes a black crappie excellent eating but those are a bit on the small side IMO. do you fish lake interstate at all? seems you could carry your canoe in there pretty easy.

Huron Angler

Admiral

lookin sweet HA and yes a black crappie excellent eating but those are a bit on the small side IMO. do you fish lake interstate at all? seems you could carry your canoe in there pretty easy.

Well I've driven past it about a million times but have never dropped a vessel in and tried to catch anything. I hear that there are Rainbows in there so I have been meaning to check it out.:)

Do people use fly tackle there? I could carry my 12' tinny in with the canoe...the beer cooler is heavier than the boat some days:D

Around here I've been been fishing grand river, the looking glass river, lake ovid in sleepy hollow state park, lake lansing, park lake, grass lake east of jackson and duck lake sw of lansing. Also of course my fishing hole which is undisclosed but has been producing the best:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

This is Huron Angler's 12' tinny transom rebuild kit. That poplar has a greenish tint to the wood...a natural coloration that looks like PT lumber a bit...well enough that I asked about it.
DSCF4375.jpg

KD Fisherman

Seaman Apprentice

That transom will surely be a nice upgrade. That is a good looking salmon! How do the Walleye taste? They look like they would be fun to catch.

Cheers,
Kyle